advice for work christmas party?

Options
Hello!

I'm trying to plan how to tackle my work Christmas function. The big bosses have told us it's lots of free food and free alcohol. My work friends also LOVE to drink a lot and have been talking about how smashed they'll get - and they've been excited all week.

Now I'm not one to judge cos I used to be just like that, but... I would love some tips on how to stay at the function for more than 30mins, have a great time with my workmates, and keep within (or near to..) my calorie goal of 1360.

I'm thinking I'll do a decent run before work or something to earn a bit of a safety buffer, what other ideas can you lovely mfp-ers offer?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I would do a good workout before work and then just enjoy myself! :smile:
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I never say no to free food or alcohol. I don't think you want my advice.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding the drink this year by driving so I won't have a choice about that part, as for the meal, just treat it like any other and log what you eat and stop eating when you get full, simple :smile:
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself - life is about balence!!! fun and health
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    One bad day does not ruin your progress thus far. Enjoy it!
  • Gr33nstars
    Options
    I agree - do a good workout beforehand

Before functions I sometimes pre-log the foods that I feel I couldn't go without so that I feel in control and know the calories of items. And sometimes I'm shocked by how many cals are in some items and decide I can go without after all.

As for drinking - pick a low cal soft drink that looks like an alcoholic one (to avoid peer pressure!) and alternate with something harder if you wish? This is a tricky one though - I'm not a big drinker and my colleagues are.

Also... I am lucky enough to have a close colleague at work who is also trying to be healthy. Sometimes we tell each other what we plan to eat at work functions and, having said it out loud and committed to it, we find we're less likely to go beyond our planned choices because we know the other one will be watching (in a supportive way of course!). I know that if I tell her 'I've decided not to have any dips today' then I will avoid them more successfully. Sounds a bit odd but it works for me.

But mostly, have fun and have faith in your body to handle one day of a few extra calories :-)
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    haha it seems to be a general consensus so far, one night, enjoy it :) I like the 'stop when you get full' idea - so simple and yet so true - why is this meal any different from any other meal just because it's there. nice!
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    p.s. gr33nstars thanks for going into detail, I like the idea of telling a colleague I'm going to make a healthy choice
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Work out to earn some extra calories.
    Save some calories from the previous day
    Eat very light the day of the party

This will still leave you with a lot of calories to enjoy at the party
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself - life is about balence!!! fun and health

Wonderful advice.......... I think sometimes we all forget this at times.
    Thanks
    x:flowerforyou:
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this topic. my office xmas dinner is on 21st december and i am dreading it already. i usually make sensible choices when it comes to food but the problem i have is the alcohol (wine). wine is usually the only alcohol available at our xmas dinners so it's not like i can choose something else with lower calories and it is impossible to keep track of how much you are drinking when your glass is continuously being topped up before it goes empty. i am not a big drinker but it is very hard to avoid alcohol at this event.

as i will have the day of the dinner off work and then joining my work colleagues at the restaurant later in the evening, i will ensure i put in some extra time in the gym earlier in the day to earn some extra calories.
  • mrrad
    mrrad Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't make a big issue of it with your colleagues and just have a wine glass of fizzy water in your hand everyone will assume it is something else. Take in all the juicy gossip of the misdemeanors going on that you are normally too drunk to notice, blackmail everyone in 2012 and get a promotion.

Sorted!
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    Don't make a big issue of it with your colleagues and just have a wine glass of fizzy water in your hand everyone will assume it is something else. Take in all the juicy gossip of the misdemeanors going on that you are normally too drunk to notice, blackmail everyone in 2012 and get a promotion.

Sorted!

hahaha I like this plan!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If it was me id just be good the few days before the party, workout that day and enjoy! Im planning on doing just that on chrsitmas day as its our babies first christmas and I want to just chill out and do as I please with food for 1 day
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

Sorted!

lol lol
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hey

I would

1) make sure you get a good workout in so you dont feel guilty about over indulging.

2) I would drink low fat drinks like spirits and diet mixer (vodka & diet coke, gin and slimline tonic, rum and diet coke....)

3) Alternate your alcoholic beverage with a non alcoholic one- if you are feelin the peer pressure then just say your plain diet coke is a rum & coke.

4) eat your meal- you will need the food to soak up your booze and this will stop you from hitting the food when you get home!

5) Dance! This will burn cals.

6) Drink plenty of water before bed.