Garden Salad

Options
Hey guys, Ive always been under the impression that a garden salad (minus the cheese) was pretty much negative calories and that i was able to eat as much as i like. Now, myfitnesspal has burst my bubble and says its 280 calories per cup!!! When did this happen and why?!? It also seems to put calories on everything that i thought was negative?? sorry if i sound like an idiot, im new to looking into what i eat! Any help would be appreciated!! :)

Replies

• Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about 'negative calories' (in anything!) but if you are in doubt, I would definitely take the time to enter the ingredients of your salad into the recipe builder, so you can get a more accurate number. This is more difficult, of course, if you didn't prepare it, but in time you will be able to sight your salad and be reasonably accurate as to its ingredients!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by a "garden" salad?

A green leaf salad is about 15 cals per 100g olive oil about 60 cals per teaspoon. That is my version of a salad. Sometimes I add pomegranate seeds (about 60 cals for 3 oz).
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are looking at, I can't find any garden salad entries at 280 cals, but I imagine that would include some kind of dressing or cheese or whatever. If you are making the salad yourself, then enter the ingredients manually to get an exact count, or if you have bought a bag of salad it should show the information on the bag.
  • nikolesb
    Options
    i just make them at home. I put lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, mushroom and then enter my cheese in seperately. I dont put any dressing on, just a touch of garlic salt. Didnt know there was a recipe builder so will maybe try doing that. Its just so hard to believe that the salad without the cheese to 280 a cup! I could eat some awesome junk food for that! :p
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You'd have to eat 1 kg of salad to get to 280 cals. Some of the foods in the database are way off, make your own calculations instead! :^)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    i just make them at home. I put lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, mushroom and then enter my cheese in seperately. I dont put any dressing on, just a touch of garlic salt. Didnt know there was a recipe builder so will maybe try doing that. Its just so hard to believe that the salad without the cheese to 280 a cup! I could eat some awesome junk food for that! :p

It's not. That count will be with some kind of calorific dressing. 15 cals per 100g leaves, about 9 cals per tomato, mushrooms are insanely low in cals, about 25 per 100g, and cucumber is about 9 per half cup.
  • nikolesb
    Options
    phew, that sounds better. I might start doing it singularly on alot more things, as a few have seemed a bit off! thanks so much for that. I was having a mini melt down! :P
  • nikolesb
    Options
    worked it out individually and it was 102 with my cheese :)