Really struggling

Options
Hi,
I have been on this for 2 weeks now and lost 5 pounds and have been very motivated but I have been quiet down this week due to a death anniversary and am struggling trying to stay healthy,A friend called last night and I had a bottle of wine and crisps which are my downfall.I ate 2 bags of crisps and 2 bags of quaver crisps through out the day.I went over my calories by 700.I am very dissapointed with myself as I have only allowed myself to have these if I have worked off the calories and I didn't do any exercise yesterday.
I am trying to keep my cals very low today to make up for it and will exercise but I am finding it hard as I am hugry and starting to pick at foods.If I eat a proper meal I might fill up and stop picking but wont be able to save much calories but if I stay light then I could end up picking and going over my calories.Don't know what to do :(
It's my first time to feel like maybe I can't do this.I dont want to fail like I have all my diets before, I wanted this to be a lifestyle change but it looks like I am getting back to old habits :( xgx

Replies

• Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would forget the 700 cals and treat today as a new day new start eat your normal cals otherwise you'll be starving hth
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I hate to trot out a platitude, but I hope it applies in my case and maybe it applies in yours, too.

It takes six weeks to break a habit.

So you're going to give up trying to break old habits after just two weeks? I hope you'll at least give yourself six!

By the way, I'm having the same issue with calories and exercise, it's Thanksgiving Day, and I'm already at 2000...but I haven't gone to my family's house yet, and I sure don't plan to exercise today! So yeah, I better give myself six weeks to break these habits, too!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Oh my, yesterday was yesterday, forget about it and go on as if it never happened, you are right on in saying you are having trouble staying focused. This is not about depriving yourself but changing the way you approach food. As time goes on the need for a lot of the junk food fades but if you are prone to it then it's going to be harder. Depression sucks and it's easy to give up and say, "I fell and now I can't get up". Nope, would you hang around a piece of junk that tripped you up, picking at it and going, jeez if you hadn't been here I wouldn't have fallen. Heck no, you just get up and run on down the road. So, food is the same thing, sometimes it comes along and knocks you down and you just get up and keep on truckin. Take care of yourself and all will be well.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. Forget the mistakes of yesterday, plan for success tomorrow, but focus on today!

"It doesn't matter how many times you fall, it's how many times you get up."
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would forget the 700 cals and treat today as a new day new start eat your normal cals otherwise you'll be starving hth

This one for sure!!
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Throughout this journey I have found that, duh, life often has different plans for us. Gosh, if we were rich and had a chef to cook healthy meals, someone to watch the kids while we worked out, blah, blah, blah. No, we have to work, and plan, and manage time, and sleep! It sounds like you did what you needed to do, that is, sit with a good friend and celebrate the life of the loved one you lost. Everyday is a new chance for us. What is done is done, learn what triggers those emotions and the eating, come here for support, and make your journey the one you want. Good luck;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    [...] Nope, would you hang around a piece of junk that tripped you up, picking at it and going, jeez if you hadn't been here I wouldn't have fallen. Heck no, you just get up and run on down the road.

I love this analogy, I'm stealing it to use from now on! Especially on myself. :smile:
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    What I have found helpful in not over indulging is not eating chips out of the bag. I always put 1 serving in a bowl to eat them. I also do not deny things that I crave. I just have a small portion of what I want. Sometimes not even a third of a serving. Last week they handed out candy bars at work. It took me all day to eat it. It was so satisfying. As this is a lifestyle change not a diet, I try to control portions and choose healthier ways to eating my old favorites. I take the time in the grocery store to pick out something with the lower calories (still maintaining flavor and nutrients) to make my food. I have found tortillas and spaghetti that cut out a ton of calories. We also do not cook much out of a can to lower our salt intake. I am very rarely hungry because I have increase my fiber and protein intake and decreased my fat intake. My carbs are usually complex carbs for longer energy use. It doesn't happen over night. When I first started on here I lost really quick just by stopping fast food and sodas daily. Now with exercise I am losing a little over a pound a week depending on the time of the month. Good luck on your journey and remember to take one day at a time.
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    we all have bad days just get on track tommorow take a deep breath and say right tomorow this it if we did not have bad eating days for what ever reason we would not be normal good luck you can do it
  • grag79
    grag79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I will start today as new again and go from there.I just hope it hasnt made a big impact on my weight loss this week.I will keep going though.I have been eating good foods and not depriving myself of foods I love but have been taking the healthier option of working off the calories and only then allowing myself the treats.It has been working to now I just need to make sure when I'm down to not over indulge,As although it gave me some pleasure I actually feel worse for it now.Thanks so much for all ye're kind words of encouragement xgx