Logging food question

Options
Ok I started logging my food on Saturday - have had 5 great days and I feel like I am in control of it. I work out every day -and don't use the extra calories that I got from that... my question is - do I need to lower my fats or carbs in order to lose??? I will weigh myself on Saturday at the gym. Help please....

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I set my protein up and lowered my carbs. I eat about 100 carbs a day and about the 100-120 grams of protein a day. I keep my fat at 40 grams or less a day and sugar at 30 grams or less a day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    no, overall calories is what matters, but you should be eating at least some of the extra calories as when you exercise your body requires more fuel, and MFP gave you a caloric intake to lose your goal amount of weight with no exercise. So once you exercise your deficit becomes even larger, which may or may not be safe/healthy.

As an example, say your day to day requirements are like a tank of gas. if you use a tank of gas/week going to and from work, if you go on any extra trips or errands you will need to add more gas in order to have enough gas to get to work. So if you need 1200 for day to day stuff (you will lose weight with 1200 cals and no exercise), then when you do extra (workout) you need to put more calories in your body.
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Should the extra calories "given" to me be in Protein or it shouldn't matter - if it is calories that count... what happens if I am below the calories but don't feel hungry?
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    no, overall calories is what matters, but you should be eating at least some of the extra calories as when you exercise your body requires more fuel, and MFP gave you a caloric intake to lose your goal amount of weight with no exercise. So once you exercise your deficit becomes even larger, which may or may not be safe/healthy.

As an example, say your day to day requirements are like a tank of gas. if you use a tank of gas/week going to and from work, if you go on any extra trips or errands you will need to add more gas in order to have enough gas to get to work. So if you need 1200 for day to day stuff (you will lose weight with 1200 cals and no exercise), then when you do extra (workout) you need to put more calories in your body.

Agreed !
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    If you're below your calories that day and don't feel hungry, don't eat. This journey is about new habits and a new lifestyle, and some of us need to retrain ourselves on how to eat mindfully instead of mindlessly. In other words, don't eat just for the sake of using up your calories.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Perfect way to look at it!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I set my protein up and lowered my carbs. I eat about 100 carbs a day and about the 100-120 grams of protein a day. I keep my fat at 40 grams or less a day and sugar at 30 grams or less a day.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    How do you do that?