Quinoa

Options
Finally22
Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
I'm thinking of trying quinoa - any one have any good recipes - is it low calorie?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Data, 1 cup cooked quinoa: 155 cal, 30g carb, 3g fat, 5.5g protein, 3g fiber, estimated glycemic load 18

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

google is your friend!
  • Kaydoggie
    Kaydoggie Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Apple-Quinoa-Salad.aspx?recipeid=143229
    I love love love this recipe!!!!! its 210 calories per serving
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello ive tried this and while its nice it wasnt so successful for me however i recently brought a pack that was premade and it was super its by merchant gourmet and is red and white quinoa. if you can buy it ready made i suggest boiling it up with some stock and using it like rice or pasta in dishes
  • RedHatPatti
    RedHatPatti Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think Red is the best and my friend cooked with the chicken stock and added celery onions and peppers (like pilaf).
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I throw it in everything; salads, soups, chili, stew... any time I want to increase carbs, protein and calories in a meal!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy quinoa because it's versatile. You can have it as a side with dinner. My kids like with with a bit of soy sauce. You can also make a pilaf with it or simply add tomatoes, onions and parsley. You can also make it with for breakfast. Instead of cooking it with broth or water, try adding almond milk and add cranberries and nuts to it. Its very healthy and quite nice! It's got a bit of a nutty taste to it.... Enjoy it, it's delicious!
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Very cool - thanks! :smile:
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise it's similar to rice but with more protein. I prefer the red to white and you should always rinse using a fine mesh because it can be gritty. I use it like rice, I've made risottos, I've used it as a stuffing and on salads. I've even seen it used as a breakfast like oatmeal but haven't tried it yet.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa all the time, including breakfast - one cup cooked quinoa with walnuts + cranberries and greek yoghurt.

I recently learned that they should be soaked overnight (the tradition from ancient south american tribes) before cooked.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Rinsing also removes the bitter taste. I too throw it in everything. I make a killer vegetarian chili subbing quinoa in for ground beef
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I use it as a replacement for rice. It is a whole grain, and it has COMPLETE protein (i.e. all 8 essential amino acids, unlike many other grains). Great in soups, stews, as an accompaniment to dishes that are usually served on rice (i.e. indian food). YUM!
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am curious myself. Thanks for creating the topic!
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    love quinoa, easy recipe, warm quinoa salad. cup of freshly cooked quinoa, i chopped advocardo, 8 chopped baby tomartoes, a few shredded basil leaves, add generous squeeze of lemon juice, table spoon of balsamic, table spoon of olive oil, mix, so good, so healthy, enjoy.. oh add salt and pepper
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use it anywhere I would use rice. The only thing is that it has a coating called saponin that some people have really bad reactions to. My dad was hospitalized after eating it. Doesn't bother me a bit, thank goodness. Just be sure to rinse it very well and start out with just a small serving to see if it makes you feel ill at all.
  • smcolton
    Options
    Bump