Do Acai suppliments work for anyone?

Options
:frown:

Replies

• negative187
    Options
    I tried some, and nope, they didn't work at all.
  • Ferret77
    Ferret77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They get loads of advertisement I wondered if they were worth the money, they are £20 which is a lot of money to me!
  • negative187
    Options
    Personally I don't think they are worth the money at all. Good ol' exercise, healthy diet and calorie control seem the best way to go.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/08/16/ftc-cracks-down-on-acai-supplements-cites-rachael-ray-and-oprah/

"Like other fruits (as well as veggies, nuts and spices), it has antioxidant properties, but “there is no scientific evidence whatsoever that acai berries can help anyone lose weight,” said David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s bureau of consumer protection, at a press conference today. We checked PubMed on that point and couldn’t find anything either. And the American Dietetic Association says that “no human studies have yet found special health benefits from consuming acai.”

These supplements are a dicey game, because “there are no reliable tests to authenticate acai in these products,” according to ConsumerLab.com, an independent lab that tests supplements. When the lab last year purchased six acai products, it tested them for adulterants, and found that while none exceeded limits for heavy metals or chlorinated pesticides, one contained “potent laxative ingredients” but didn’t have the required warning label."
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the Holland & Barrett Acai supplement at the moment. Been taking it for a couple of weeks to see if it got the scales to move! Scales are still frozen however I am sleeping better and have more energy and feel less bloated.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i tried them... they didnt do anything at all for me. maybe i wasnt patient enough but i cant afford to keep buying bottles of the stuff if im not seeing results
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Didn't work for me, but do take an aloe juice drink 15mls in the evening which has kept me regular while I've been cutting calories though I do try to eat plenty of fibre