not seeing the point anymore

Options
since april i've lost about 40 pounds - 186ish down to 149. But I cannot see a difference. I see all these posts and people look so slim but at 149 I'm still bulky and flabby and cheeky. I mean obviously there's a slight difference but really it's like the only weight I lost is in my boobs. at least big boobs disguised the fat :/ I'm just sick of all this work and not much of a difference. ANyone else go through this? How'd you get through such a slump....

Replies

• grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Take pictures for every 10 pounds you lose. You WILL see the difference then. Trust me, you look different at 186 than you do at 149. You didn't lose 40 pounds of boobs. Hee! Hee! Take your measurements. That will clearly show you your progress and inspire you.

We all can encourage you, but only you can want it badly enough to do the work. Good luck and hang in there. It does get a whole lot better.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you - lost 20 lbs and still look the same in my face and while my body looks smaller, I still look flabby with my shirt off... no choice but to keep on going!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of weight loss is psychological. Last time I lost weight it was about 90lbs and it took me a long time to realize I looked different at all. And this time I have seen some success pics of people who have lost weight and are now 25 lbs more than me and I think they look like 50 lbs lighter than me! Could be true, could be in my head...
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how you feel. I would be super frustrated. But others have told me to measure. 40 lbs is incredible! and I doubt you lost all of it in your breast. It might help push you threw this slump. And everyone has areas they loose in first. Once your breast are threw it will start on another spot. Mine is my waist. I've lost 5 inches off my waist and NONE off my hips. I'm only 9 lbs down though.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    40 lbs is a huge loss. I am sure other people have noticed even if you haven't. Do you keep track of your measurements? I find that much more motivating that a number on a scale. How are you clothes fitting? Getting looser I imagine. As for the "flabby", do you strength train? You need to build muscle to be firmer. Even quite skinny people will look flabby if they lack muscle. Don't compare yourself to other people of the same weight. So many things affect what you will look like, such as height, frame, and muscle mass. If you must compare, compare to youself only, but you need an impartial way to do it. Many people won't see themselves accurately when they look in a mirror when losing weight. They still see themselves as heavier than they are and immediately go to the flaws instead of the successes. This is why measurements are good...they don't lie. If your waist measurement goes down, you are getting smaller, there is no arguing with that!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the majority of obese people probably suffer from at least temporary body dysmorphic disorder...
    I find that a lot of weight loss is psychological. Last time I lost weight it was about 90lbsit and it took me a long time to realize I looked different at all. And this time I have seen some success pics of people who have lost weight and are now 25 lbs more than me and I think they looke like 50I lbs lighter than me! Could be true, could be in my head...
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm sure the difference is way bigger than you think. Why don't you post some before and after pics? Other people could see the difference and tell you about it. It's always good to have an outsider's opinion, even though the one that matters the most is your own.
    Not only you're losing weight; you're getting healthier every day, and working towards a longer, better life. That's certainly something to be proud of.

*hugs*
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    First of all 40 pound loss is a huge deal! Feel great about it! You had to have worked hard to achieve it.
    You don't say what your exercise program is? I would encourage you to strength train to reshape your body and develop a healthy looking physique.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Take pictures for every 10 pounds you lose. You WILL see the difference then. Trust me, you look different at 186 than you do at 149. You didn't lose 40 pounds of boobs. Hee! Hee! Take your measurements. That will clearly show you your progress and inspire you.

We all can encourage you, but only you can want it badly enough to do the work. Good luck and hang in there. It does get a whole lot better.
    This is great advice! Progress pictures kept me motivated.
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you look noticeably different. Have you measured your body fat%? There is a difference between just losing weight and reducing your body fat. Before and after pics help. Measurements help. In the end it is how you feel though? Clothes smaller? I can't see your diet diary or your exercise diary but you may want to focus on losing body fat and not just the weight. Increase your proteins. Lower you cars. Get plenty of exercise. Drink lots of water. You've lost 40 pounds. Don't give up now!
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about the body dysmorphia. I think a lot of us have it even when we aren't obese. Definitely do measurements and I'm sure your clothes must fit differently w that kind of weight loss. Keep plugging away. Challenge your thoughts about yourself. You CAN do this!
    -Andi
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't made as much progress as you have, but at 20 pounds lost, I can't really tell the difference either. However, my loss has been really gradual and I see myself every day, so probably aren't noticing really slight changes. I do notice my rings are looser, I look better in certain pairs of jeans than I used to.. Aren't you noticing any of those kinds of changes? Did you do measurements? Before and After Pics?

Regardless, for me I think the point is that if I don't keep doing the work, not only am I not going to lose any more weight but I'm going to put back on the weight I've already lost and be a less healthy person who no longer looks even remotely cute in these jeans.

I've got what someone once kindly described as an "athletic frame" (Pfft. Yeah. Me .. "athletic") and I've accepted that I'm never going to be one of those thin, willowy girls. My body's just not built that way. But I can be lean and strong and buff, and I'm going to keep working at it until I get there.

Congratulations on your success! Be proud of all the hard work you've done. At the very least, you're become a stronger, healthier person. (But I bet everyone else can totally see a difference.)
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have lost right around 55 pounds and no one really said anything until around 50 pounds now everyone comments on how much weight I have lost.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    since april i've lost about 40 pounds - 186ish down to 149. But I cannot see a difference. I see all these posts and people look so slim but at 149 I'm still bulky and flabby and cheeky. I mean obviously there's a slight difference but really it's like the only weight I lost is in my boobs. at least big boobs disguised the fat :/ I'm just sick of all this work and not much of a difference. ANyone else go through this? How'd you get through such a slump....
    You need to start doing target exercise. Push ups and arm workout, core workouts , and leg workouts. what kind of exercise you doing?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This is not just about how we look, part of the purpose of living a healthier life is to extend your lifespan, increase your energy, and help your body run more efficiently.
    You are adding years to your life and how can you be disappointed in that?

focus on your sucess
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Totally agree about the body dysmorphia. I think a lot of us have it even when we aren't obese. Definitely do measurements and I'm sure your clothes must fit differently w that kind of weight loss. Keep plugging away. Challenge your thoughts about yourself. You CAN do this!
    -Andi

I also agree. My problem was that, in my head, I hadn't really gotten fat. So now, I'm more just matching the picture in my head and I can't see the changes that others are seeing.

40 pounds is a huge loss and a lot of hard work went into it. It can be tough if the part you hate most is the last to lose but hang in there and you'll see it!
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight loss is a mental thing too. If you set your bar too high then you will fail. I took me 20 different to diets/workout routines before I realized my mind has to be in the right place. You will be fine, it just sounds like you are in a funk. Do you remember the reasons why you wanted to lose weight? Do you have old pictures of yourself? I think when we lose some weight that we forget what we had looked like. When I start getting grumpy and think I cannot do it anymore, I look at my old photos and suddenly remember how I had looked/felt. Good luck on your journey because this is a long road but you have already worked so hard!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It takes longer to lose the weight than it took you to gain it. If you think of it that way, you'll realize you're being hard on yourself. If you see it as your new way of life, you will know you will achieve your goals (if you even have realistic goals). Losing weight only shrinks you. It doesn't alter your body composition. So it makes sense you will look the same but a smaller version of yourself. If you want to "fix" your body, then you need to pick up some weights and meet with a trainer. I agree with those that say if you want it bad enough, you'll get it. Google Tosca Reno. Look at what she looked like before... and look at her NOW in her 50's. Damn!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Appreciate your body for the changes it made for your body type! Rejoice!!!! Your body is not the same as others but think of all the health benefits you have made by losing 40lbs!!!!!!! Trust me it is not in vain!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    You need to start doing target exercise. Push ups and arm workout, core workouts , and leg workouts. what kind of exercise you doing?

you cannot target areas for fat loss.
    if you don't already strength-train, you might consider adding this in now. as you lose the fat layer and increase the muscle, the way your body looks will change noticeably. breast tissue is primarily a composition of fat and underlying glands, so yes, your fat loss will be more obvious there.