swimming

Options
Hi! Does anyone swim regularly for excercise? I swam 4 hours yeasterday and according 2 this site I burnt a gob of calories I asked my mom 2 get me a gym membership, because if i swim like that everyday i should have my regular size back n no time. Can u really stay skinny swimming? I was 115 6 months ago but began chemo and steroids and they blew me up to 141. it's 2 much weight 4 my little 5'4" frame. most of it's around my middle which my doc says will poison my organs. specifically the ones that are already struggling with my disease.

Replies

• tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm no medic. But it is said that swimming is the best whole body, low impact exercise you can do. Excellent for cardio as well as strength. I try to swim as often as possible. It certainly tones the body, but this must be done in moderation alongside a healthy diet.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    have you seen those professional swimmers? seriously, google image "Swimmers physique"

man if only i could swim like you!
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    I'm no medic. But it is said that swimming is the best whole body, low impact exercise you can do. Excellent for cardio as well as strength. I try to swim as often as possible. It certainly tones the body, but this must be done in moderation alongside a healthy diet.
    Thanks! Ya my doctor is monitoring my weight loss. My mom is even worse than him. between the 2 of them I can't mess up. I used to love swimming but haven't been n forever since I was so sick. The 4 hours I swam yesterday felt more like 4 minutes. it really relaxes me
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I'm too self-conscious to swim right now, but, when I reach my goal weight, I'm planning on swimming to maintain it.
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    have you seen those professional swimmers? seriously, google image "Swimmers physique"

man if only i could swim like you!
    ha! Well thats tru but i don't swim hard core. i swim for fun. like dive for my little brothers dive stix n junk like that . i dont think ill b musclely n e time soon
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    I'm too self-conscious to swim right now, but, when I reach my goal weight, I'm planning on swimming to maintain it.
    u look awsum n r pic! I wear tankini. it hides my chub and mom would murder me if i wore a bikini n e ways
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to swim competitively when I was a kid. We had practice 5 nights a week with a swim meet almost every summer weekend. I was in great shape and could eat all I wanted. I know part of that was from being a kid and always on the go, but I'm sure part of that was all the swimming I was doing.

I found a gym yesterday that has a pool that I can actually get into when I get off work at 5:30am so I'm pumped. I'm so going to love this. I miss being able to swim every day.

In addition to swimming being a good excercise choice for calorie burn, it's also easy on the joints. Have fun in the pool.
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week, about 1 - 1.5 h every time. I am not sure how much I really burn because I don't have a waterproof heart monitor, but, I can say that the days I swim I am much hungrier then when I don't. I am in a swim team and every time I go it is pretty intense. We do drills all the time.
    Great job in swimming 4 hours!! Wow, that is awesome!
    As far as body changes, I can tell that my upper body is much more toned than before. I would say yes, you will get leaner than with other exercises. I would recommend cross training though. If you do only one type of exercise, your body gets used to it, it becomes more efficient and stops burning as much.
    Good luck and much health!!
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    I used to swim competitively when I was a kid. We had practice 5 nights a week with a swim meet almost every summer weekend. I was in great shape and could eat all I wanted. I know part of that was from being a kid and always on the go, but I'm sure part of that was all the swimming I was doing.

I found a gym yesterday that has a pool that I can actually get into when I get off work at 5:30am so I'm pumped. I'm so going to love this. I miss being able to swim every day.

In addition to swimming being a good excercise choice for calorie burn, it's also easy on the joints. Have fun in the pool.
    Awsum! have fun! ya i so want sumthin easy on my joints. they hurt a ton from the weight & from the chemo. my mom says im part dolphin cause i could live under there just comin up 4 air now n then
  • tinyprincess
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week, about 1 - 1.5 h every time. I am not sure how much I really burn because I don't have a waterproof heart monitor, but, I can say that the days I swim I am much hungrier then when I don't. I am in a swim team and every time I go it is pretty intense. We do drills all the time.
    Great job in swimming 4 hours!! Wow, that is awesome!
    As far as body changes, I can tell that my upper body is much more toned than before. I would say yes, you will get leaner than with other exercises. I would recommend cross training though. If you do only one type of exercise, your body gets used to it, it becomes more efficient and stops burning as much.
    Good luck and much health!!
    thanks! i will. we also alk a lot and ride bikes so i can switch it up
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    bump!