Calorie deficit - how is it figured?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been a member here for a while, but did not really commit myself to daily tracking and using the tools here. I've had a lot of exercise success but since I wasn't getting my food intake on track, my results were not as "extreme" as I wanted. Anyway, I've recommitted myself and I find that I have that I know a lot less about food then I thought : )

I'm at 1200 calories/day plus exercise calories. What I don't get is how the calorie deficit works. If I'm eating my 1200 and if I eat the extra exercise calories, then wouldn't I be even? How is the deficit figured?

This may be a dumb question, but I don't get it so I'm asking.

thanks,

md

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates how many calories your body burns on a normal day without exercise. It does this based on your height, weight, and activity level. When you exercise, your body is burning more than normal so it creates a bigger deficit. Eating back your calories helps you maintain a consistent and healthy deficit of calories.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense.
  • briggsl23
    Options
    I am also at 1200 calorie, and I normally burn anywhere between 500-700 calories working out, I wasnt eating my calories back the first month that I started, when I begun the second month, the weight wasnt coming off as quick, and then I lost nothing for a whole week, I started eating them back or most of them, and now im losing 2-3 pounds a week..some people dont eat back their calories and it works for them too, everyone is different, so its just about trying which way works better for you...I know if your not meeting your daily calorie intake, you could go into starvation mode and start storing fat instead of losing....good luck!
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks Briggs. Whether or not I eat the calories back depends on if I'm hungry or the calorie size of the previous meal (i.e. i've used up the 1200 and need to dip into the extra). But, I'm not afraid of eating the calories back. The way I look at it, who knows how many calories I was eating before. Even with the extra, I'm sure it's a lot less.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think they use the Harris Benedict equation or something similar.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/