Have you got off Blood pressure tablets?

Options
Hi, I'm already experiencing my blood pressure going down from weight loss and my doc is really pleased but she seems to think I will be on a tablet for the rest of my life even if I am really thin ( her words).
I intend to get off it so was wondering if any of you have been able to get off your tablets. I was on 2 and now am on only one so that a start.

Replies

• achief192
    Options
    I was on BP meds and got off of them. I lost 24 pounds and decreased my sodium intake. BP went down and have been off the meds for a month now :). Doesn't work for everyone though, Good Luck!!!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I take one tablet daily. I don't know what role weight plays in the whole scheme of things. Probably some to be sure. But I think it's sad a doctor would tell you that you'll be on tablets all your life. I know there are people who do get off them by using numerous techniques such as slow breathing exercises, hand isometrics, etc. And, of course, losing weight.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My BP was ridiculously high a year or so ago while I was working a stressful job. I kept saying it was my job's fault but no one believed me. It went down after I left the job, but was still elevated. I stopped taking my medication because I wanted to bring it down on my own and was tired of being on it.

Anyway, more recently, in August it was 141/89. On Tuesday it was 127/83. In the same time, my resting heart rate has dropped from 85 to 52. Just keep plugging away and see what happens for you. It is possible to get off medication!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me the same thing. Mine is due more do genetics than weight and diet but it does help keep the dosage lower.
  • judyw51
    Options
    I lost more than 60 lbs (now at my goal weight ) quit drinking, quit smoking and I exercise 2- 3 hrs a day and I am still on BP meds probably always will be.
  • alisonhayes266
    alisonhayes266 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I took myself off mine last year with my GP's approval after I lost 2 stone, but had weight induced hypertension, it really depends what is triggering your hypertension, cardiovascular, renal function, weight or other factors.
    The risks of sustained untreated hypertension may be significant so it is wise to listen to your GP, but question his reasons and monitor your blood pressure yourself, as "white coat" syndrome is so recognised now many GP's are moving towards a 24 hr BP trace rather than 3 invdividual readings at the surgery before prescribing medication.
    18 months on I had blood and urine tests this week that were normal, but my BP was 144/80 in the surgery today, when it is usually 112/65 now. The main thing is to get fitter too if possible then you will be an all round winner.
    Well done, keep it up and best wishes for your future :flowerforyou:
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It was all very interesting. Thanks