Ladies who lift heavy

Options
First of all, let me just say that I want to explore this a little more, but I need some encouragement. This is why I'm asking.

How many sets and how many reps do you do?

I bought some 10lb dumbbells, and I know that isn't very heavy. I got the "Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" and I do a pattern of workouts from there. I usually do 3 sets of 12 of squats, lunges, chest press, shoulder press, along with some other body weight workouts. I find that by the third set of just about anything, I feel absolutely spent.

When I bought the dumbbells, my husband asked me if I bought enough weight, because he uses every single rod on his bowflex, but honestly I find the bowflex a little intimidating, and I'm just not ready to work out where he can drop in, stare at me, and compare my lifting to his, because most other men are not as strong or bulky as he is, let alone little old petite me.

So, I don't really know how heavy is heavy enough to see a difference in my body composition, or if I'm expecting to see too much too soon. I know muscle atrophy happens pretty fast, but I don't know how long it takes to build. When I had a surgery on my foot a long time ago, the leg I wasn't using wasted away in a couple months, while the other leg got beefy in comparison. Then, within only a day or two of walking again, they evened out. I wish building the rest of my body to look like the women around MFP that lift could go just as fast, but perhaps I have the wrong expectations.

Please tell me stories of how you got started, and if you are willing, let me know what how much weight I should lift, how many reps and sets I should do. I prefer to stick with dumb bells for now, because I think they are safer than a barbell and the bowflex is out in the living room, so I won't be doing that until I'm a little more advanced in my workouts.

Also, feel free to friend me!

Replies

• rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have one dumbel that is 20lb that I use for Strength Traing i do 15 reps and 2-3 sets 3-4 diferent ways I dont remember what all the moves are called but i would love to have 2 10 or 15lb weights but i do have 3.3lb 5.5lb and 7.7lb

you should be tired by the end lift till you cant lift one more but dont over work your self.
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    If it's muscle size you want...then lift heavy for less reps... meaning... a wieght that you can barely squeeze the last 7th or 8th rep out of....to the point of failure on the final (3rd) set.
    If it's toning, endurance and sculpting you're after...the lift lighter for more reps...meaning... a wieght that you can lift for at least 12 but no more then 15 reps...3 sets

I hope this helps you out... as it's difficult to say what wieght you should use, and on which exercise you should use it. AS well this number will change over time as you get stronger and more fit.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Worrying about him judging you is silly. He's your husband! If you never start somewhere you will always be weak. Though, the bowflex isn't what I'd call 'lifting heavy', you need to get doin those compound barbell movements (deadlifts, squats, bench - though lunges are great for glutes). Anything is a good start though :-) Just do it.

I do 3x5 which is a common starting point for building strength, though 3x8-12 is often more common because it focuses more hypertrophy, which is often people's goals over strength. Whatever your rep range, make sure it's HARD, you should not be able to do more reps by the end until you rest for the next set.

Edit: I started heavy lifting ~2 months ago. By 'heavy lifting' I mean compound barbell/dumbbell exercises that are heavy for ME, I max out at 5-8 reps, meaning that was heavy for my body, as opposed to lifting baby weights for half an hour straight (which does barely anything). I started out very light on each lift to test the waters and practice good form (VERY IMPORTANT for heavy lifting! As soon you get heavier poor form can cause injuries), then tried to move up a couple kg every week. Start light so you don't injure yourself until you get the hang of the movement, but there on out lift as heavy as you can. That's the way to rip your muscles up good to be repaired stronger.

Speaking of, make sure you eat lots of protein every day. Even rest days, as your body is still repairing.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I got started lifting weights with a personal trainer.. He would take me through different exercises and show me what to do and proper form so that I wouldn't get injured. Now though, I have a system through my gym that generates my strength workouts for me and it has me on a split body plan.. so one day I do lower and then the next upper and so on down the line.

Three sets is normally what most people do.. In fact I don't think I've ever seen people do more. As far as reps go, it depends on what your goals are.. 8-20 reps of any exercise is standard range.

As far as gaining muscle, you need to be eating at a calorie surplus and be lifting heavy in order to gain muscle. Even then, you prob. won't see much gain.. maybe a .5 to a pound a month. It's hard for women to gain muscle because we don't have the testosterone like men do.

Also look at the new rules of lifting for women.. It's a very popular book that is all about weight lifting routines.
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    some women may lift heaver then others i do lift 3 set of between 10-15 and the weight can very if it is b/b= back and biceps 5lbs or 10lbs up to 15 lbs if it on the weight michine the c/s/t =chest /should/triceps it can go a lot higher if it is A/L =Abs and Leg it defferent. don't worry about any one else but what work for you and work your way up to incressing your weight that what the trainer would like for you to do the higher the weight the less rep cause it harder to do the less the weight the higher the rep you should do just remimber to stay positive and you are doing a great job keep up the great work
    your friend
    jennifer
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the exercise you are doing - I a typical session I use 4kg (8.8lbs) right through to 15kg (33lb) dumbells for a variety of exercises....

On my "light" routines I do 4 X 15 to 20 reps and on my "heavy" routines I do 3 X 10 to 12 reps....

If I was you I would actually get your husband to help you rather than shy away from him when it comes to working out - it is not really a competition - but in my experience he can really help you figure it out (rather than here where we have no idea how you are doing....)

If you are serious about lifting heavy you should use those 10lb dumbells only for a month or so - and challenge yourself every single time to do a bit more - it is amazing how quickly ones body responds to the challenge (and this is where your husband can help to spot you when you go heavier....)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Getting started is the hardest part, so it's nice to know that I'm not a sad little weakling with my 10lb dumbbells. I know I can probably go a lot heavier with my squats and lunges since my legs are somewhat strong. My arms are all bark and no bite though.

I am mostly interested in building muscle so that my metabolism will burn more calories, and also so I can have an easier time doing yardwork, carrying groceries, and an easier time with general daily life.

During my most unhealthy stage of life, everything was difficult, and I've more or less found my way out of that rut. I just want to take myself as far away from that rut as I can. I am hoping that when I am stronger, I'll also find some energy with it, but we'll see.

Thanks for the replies. It really is encouraging to hear from other women who have been doing it rather than dudes who are preaching. I do appreciate the men that want to help, but with my husband, it's a little too much too soon. He intimidates other guys with his strength all the time, so it's even worse when he compares himself to me. He doesn't do it often, but the few things he has said ring in my head over and over again, and I know that's my problem, not his, but I think by increasing my physical strength might give me some confidence and increase other types of strength along with it.

Perhaps I will pick up some 15 or 20 lb dumb bells next time I am out just to see how many reps I can complete with each.
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    I'd suggest that when those comments begin to 'ring in your head' that you remind yourself that there is NO man on this planet who has what it takes to survive childbirth!! I dont' care how big his biceps are!!! LOL

You know you can't compare apples to oranges fairly right??? Be fair to yourself.... this is your starting place... Move Forward from here!! You can do this!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on my body part.

Each day (4days) I focus on different groups.

So day one biceps, triceps, pull downs, lower back and usually biceps again but crossovers to work inside arms. I do 3 sets 10 reps each.

Then day two, leg curls, extensions, squats, and whatever 2 I feel.

Then repeat with replacements, or same depending on options available.

But I always walk away with 5 minimum of 3 sets and 10 reps and moderate cardio( usually walking 3 miles or jump rope, or row)

I try to not hit two groups consecutively.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't think it varies much between men and women.
    Try doing 2 sets of 12 at 50-60% of the max weight you can do for each exercise.

EXAMPLE: Bench press. If you could do 100lbs once as a max weight, do 2x12 at 50lbs taking 15-30 seconds reset between sets. When you can do that with ease, bump the weight up a small increment no more than 10%. (5lbs to be at 55lbs).
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't think it varies much between men and women.
    Try doing 2 sets of 12 at 50-60% of the max weight you can do for each exercise.

EXAMPLE: Bench press. If you could do 100lbs once as a max weight, do 2x12 at 50lbs taking 15-30 seconds reset between sets. When you can do that with ease, bump the weight up a small increment no more than 10%. (5lbs to be at 55lbs).

This is very helpful. Thank you. Now I just need to figure out what my max is. :smile: