Is breakfast REALLY that important

Options
2»

Replies

• wooooooow
    Options
    You may not feel hungry in the morning or you might be short on time, but skipping breakfast can have
    undesirable effects. Your body tries to draw on your reserves of nutrients and water which it needs to
    function properly but which have been depleted during the night. If you don’t eat anything, you are likely to
    feel tired and hungry a little later and want to snack on such things as chocolate or sweet coffee or biscuits
    to find some energy and raise your sugar level. Once more, the ups and downs of this vicious circle can
    affect your weight and well-being in the long-term.
    Breakfast supplies our body longer lasting vital nutrients, water and energy. A healthy breakfast
    which includes protein can help you feel fuller for longer and helps to avoid mid morning snacking.
    A well-balanced breakfast providing sustainable energy and the right nutrients can help keep you body
    in equilibrium during the day and contribute notably to better weight management and well being in the
    long term.

This is what Ive been told - hope it helps you - I have a protein shake each brekky - 150 cals and 25g protein - really yummy
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

That's a really interesting article thank you for posting
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I've slimmed down a lot and controlled my hunger much more not eating breakfast and eating my calories later in the day. Even a full on protein breakfast at 8am had me looking for snacks two hours later. Now my first meal is at around 1pm and my waist and stomach size has gone down even though I'm eating over 1800 calories a day.

Meal timing means nothing and breakfast does nothing to make your metabolism burn harder or faster or whatever.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You may not feel hungry in the morning or you might be short on time, but skipping breakfast can have
    undesirable effects. Your body tries to draw on your reserves of nutrients and water which it needs to
    function properly but which have been depleted during the night. If you don’t eat anything, you are likely to
    feel tired and hungry a little later and want to snack on such things as chocolate or sweet coffee or biscuits
    to find some energy and raise your sugar level. Once more, the ups and downs of this vicious circle can
    Breakfast supplies our body longer lasting vital nutrients, water and energy. A healthy breakfast
    which includes protein can help you feel fuller for longer and helps to avoid mid morning snacking.
    A well-balanced breakfast providing sustainable energy and the right nutrients can help keep you body
    in equilibrium during the day and contribute notably to better weight management and well being in the
    long term.

This is what Ive been told - hope it helps you - I have a protein shake each brekky - 150 cals and 25g protein - really yummy

As i said, these are all "may", "might", etc. If you don't have that, which i and many others don't, there is no need for breakfast. It doesn't boost your metabolism for anybody, so if you're eating it purely for that reason you're doing yourself a disservice. If you like breakfast, or it does help you in terms of cravings, then go for it! It's just less calories you can have later in the day.

I, like most, have some coffee in the morning, that's where my early morning water comes from. :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you define as breakfast. I cannot eat as soon as I wake up - I feel sick all day. On days that I work I'm up at 6am, and generally eat a wrap or omelette when i get to work around 8am. On weekends I may not eat until 11am (which means I'll eat a later lunch and dinner) but I still eat an omelette or tinned spaghetti/baked beans. I rarely eat toast because once I start I can literally eat the whole loaf - it doesn't seem to fill me up as much as a protein based meal.

You need to do what feels right for you. If not eating first thing in the morning works, keep doing it. If it doesn't work for you, eat when you wake up and see if that makes a difference.

I think we've all realised after being here for a couple of months that there is no magic formula for losing weight, building muscle, or maintaining weight. You need to try different things until you find out what works FOR YOUR BODY. And that may change after a couple of months and you'll need to reassess.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of debate around this, and I guess everybody is so different, it's hard to come up with the right answer.
    Listen to what your body is telling you, probably is the best way to go.

I know I can't skip breakfast since I workout about 1h30 after, and if I do skip it, I feel dizzy mid workout
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your friend.
    And even if it weren't true, I have to have breakfast within an hour of waking up or I become dizzy, sweaty and sometimes pass out :)
    You need to see a doctor immediately. That is by no means normal. Sounds like a blood sugar problem.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is REALLY that important IF breakfast is really that important TO YOU.

I don't think there's anything magical about breakfast, I don't think it speeds your metabolism, or any of the other touted benefits. I just think some people find themselves starving, and eat a lot more, when they skip breakfast... Those people shouldn't skip breakfast.

In the whole scheme of things, no, I don't believe that the people who eat the same amount of calories at one time of day are going to have real different results than people who eat their calories at another. And certainly doing it once isn't going to mess you up. :)
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    No. When you eat, how often you eat, are both not important if you stay within your calories. For that matter you are simply delaying your breakfast.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Interesting debate, I will be reading that top ten fasting myths busted later tonight when I get home....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    long term.

What you have been told is wrong. Have a look at the leangains link elsewhere in this thread myth #7
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I must be weird. If I have anything carb-heavy (fruit, bagels, etc), I am STARVING 2-3 hours later. I usually skip breakfast or eat only eggs and bacon or something like that.

Sofar, no detrimental effects on my weight loss as long as I keep my macros where I want them and my total daily intake below my goal range.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    The right answer is: Your required daily calorie allottment can be broken down anyway that suits you and helps you sustain a routine that keeps you on target for your daily calorie goals. easy peasy. :smile: Basically, there is no right answer.