oh my goodness... high fructose corn syrup...

neeterskeeter
neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
So I've started to try to eat as healthy and natural as possible. Lo and behold, last night I was listening to the radio station on the way to the grocery store and, perfect timing, the guest speaker was this guy called Chef MD who wrote a book about "culinary medicine". I guess he has a show called What's Cooking on Lifetime (but I've never seen it). Anyway, he is a doctor and a chef and he was talking about the American diet and why we are obese.

I have been trying to stay away from high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and funny enough, he started talking about this on the show regarding his book. He said that today almost *everything* that Americans buy at the grocery store and eat has HFCS in it. In 1970, *nothing* Americans ate had HFCS in it. And it just so happens that the obesity rate in America has tripled since then.

So, after hearing that in my car and thinking about it lately, I went around the grocery store trying to find healthy food that didn't have HFCS in it. I was also looking to avoid preservatives and partially hydrogenated oils. It was honestly practically impossible. :cry: Even the bread I always eat, which I always thought was healthy -- Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat -- has it.

What's a busy girl to do??!?! I am honestly usually proud of myself just for going to the grocery store and buying stuff to take to work with me for lunch and snacks, instead of eating the unhealthy free junk at work or buying McDonald's or a burrito etc. Now I realize that the only way to really be natural is to go to the co-op and buy stuff with preservatives that doesn't last long, and cook it up right away... wow, so much work. But I guess that's what's become of the American culture, huh... I guess I fit right in and that explains why it's so "easy" for us to buy all of this pre-packaged stuff.

Well, that was just a rant, I find this very interesting but a little depressing!! Does anyone know what I mean?

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    So I've started to try to eat as healthy and natural as possible. Lo and behold, last night I was listening to the radio station on the way to the grocery store and, perfect timing, the guest speaker was this guy called Chef MD who wrote a book about "culinary medicine". I guess he has a show called What's Cooking on Lifetime (but I've never seen it). Anyway, he is a doctor and a chef and he was talking about the American diet and why we are obese.

I have been trying to stay away from high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and funny enough, he started talking about this on the show regarding his book. He said that today almost *everything* that Americans buy at the grocery store and eat has HFCS in it. In 1970, *nothing* Americans ate had HFCS in it. And it just so happens that the obesity rate in America has tripled since then.

So, after hearing that in my car and thinking about it lately, I went around the grocery store trying to find healthy food that didn't have HFCS in it. I was also looking to avoid preservatives and partially hydrogenated oils. It was honestly practically impossible. :cry: Even the bread I always eat, which I always thought was healthy -- Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat -- has it.

What's a busy girl to do??!?! I am honestly usually proud of myself just for going to the grocery store and buying stuff to take to work with me for lunch and snacks, instead of eating the unhealthy free junk at work or buying McDonald's or a burrito etc. Now I realize that the only way to really be natural is to go to the co-op and buy stuff with preservatives that doesn't last long, and cook it up right away... wow, so much work. But I guess that's what's become of the American culture, huh... I guess I fit right in and that explains why it's so "easy" for us to buy all of this pre-packaged stuff.

Well, that was just a rant, I find this very interesting but a little depressing!! Does anyone know what I mean?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    there is no such thing as perfect. 100% whole wheat bread is a way better choice than drive through.:love: Foods need preservatives, or else your loaf of bread would be mold in a day. unless you're ready to go all-organic, all vegan, all-obsessive, you will have to understand that your foods will have ingredients that are not the "BEST" . but there is such a thing as a lesser evil. so don't be so hard on yourself. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I really started watching the HFCS in things a couple of years ago. Once you start reading labels, you do find it in everything from ketchup, yogurt, jelly, bread, crackers, etc. I have found that buying organic ketchup, plain yogurt, whole grain bread (Arnold's and Brownberry brands have no HFCS), and just limiting the processed foods helps. My kids (ages 10, 7, and 5) know to read the labels also.

Just try to watch what you buy. The worst is soda, it's loaded w/ HFCS!!

Jess
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    There is a commercial on TV saying that High Fructoce Corn Syrup is not only not bad for you, but it's actually healthy and natural. I want to HURL when I see that! How can they say that it's good for you when it's proven to be unhealthy?!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    I'm nearly 100% positive that Aunt Millie's 100% whole wheat (or cracked wheat?) bread has no HFCS in it. It was in GIANT letters on their label the one day I bought it. I recently started making my own bread just b/c we eat SO much of it that I want to know exactly what's in it! The HFCS in my yoplait light depresses me every morning. :grumble: I really should stop that.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    There is a commercial on TV saying that High Fructoce Corn Syrup is not only not bad for you, but it's actually healthy and natural. I want to HURL when I see that! How can they say that it's good for you when it's proven to be unhealthy?!

Because it's put on by the corn growers association that want you to buy corn products! :grumble:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Isn't it sad that we almost have to go back to cooking and preparing nearly EVERYTHING from scratch just to make sure we don't eat all of the unhealthy additives in the foods out there!? Including BREAD!? Try going to more healthy grocery stores like Natures, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. They're bound to have better things on their shelves. Also try just shopping the perimeter of the store and (like anyone has time for this) maybe bake a loaf of bread every weekend so you know that you're only eating what you put in it. Dried beans and rice are also a healtful way to go. Check out the stores that sell in bulk for better prices. I was buying Krusteaz Zoom cracked wheat hot cereal for $1.99 for 18 oz when I saw that my grocery store sold cracked wheat (the only ingredient in the Zoom) for 39 cents a pound! What a huge difference!

I just remembered...I buy this bread when I buy bread. It has a lot of fiber. This company sells a lot of very healthy things: http://www.miltonsbaking.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=102
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Let's face it, chemically altered food IS NOT going to be better for you than whole foods. It's just not. And I disagree with the earlier comment that you have to go vegan and crazy obsessive about organic food just to avoid foods without high fructose corn syrup. It's just paying attention. I shop mostly organic and do my absolute best to avoid the crazy preservatives that large corporate "food" producers use. There are many natural preservatives...real sugar, salt, etc. I keep my Nature Bake (made right here in Portland) bread in the refrigerator and it keeps for 2 weeks, no problem.

So, way to go! You're way ahead of a lot of people when it comes to health. It's more than counting calories, it's really paying attention to what you put in your body.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    This is the recipe I stole from my friend that I've been making for bread. She lets it rise in the fridge overnight sometimes (like on a Friday night to make Sat. morning) and I let it rise in a 200 degree oven to make it go faster. LOL It is a VERY forgiving & delicious recipe. After it is cooled, I wrap it up in a gallon sized freezer bag & slap it in the freezer until it is ready to use. Just in case any one is interested.

Milk & Honey Bread

Makes 2 loaves
    Ingredients1 1/2 T active dry yeast
    2 1/2 c warm milk
    1/3 c honey
    1/4 c melted butter
    2 t salt
    3 c wheat flour
    3 c bread flour
    2 c white flour

Directions
    Dissolve yeast in warm milk

Add honey, butter, salt and mix

Let proof (stand) for 5-10 minutes

Add 3 c wheat and 3 c bread flour, mix until smooth

Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough

Turn dough onto floured board and knead for about 10 minutes or until dough becomes elastic (Dough hook on mixer can be used as well)

Place in greased bowl, turning to coat the top

Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until dough is doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and shape into two loaves (a little extra flour can be added if necessary, but not too much or the dough can become crumbly)

Place in greased (and floured if you'd like) 9x5x3 loaf pans. I like to slip the tops a few times, which will prevent the dough from cracking, which can occasionally occur.)

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes

Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown

Coat tops with a little melted butter and turn pans on their side to allow bread to cool and prevent bottoms from becoming soggy

When cool, slice and serve! This bread is great for sandwiches when sliced thinly, but is hearty enough to use as a "plate cleaner" with yummy stews and gravy dishes.
  • neeterskeeter
    Fisher... I think the same thing about those HFCS commercials. It's just like when the tobacco industry tried to tell us that smoking wasn't bad for us. Uh huh.

Re: bread... I did manage to find some whole grain bread, all natural with no preservatives, in the bakery section of the chain grocery store (Smith's) I was at. But kristie, Whole Foods is a good idea. I think in the future I will try to shop there and at my local co-op. The prices are expensive but, just by trying to avoid this stuff in my regular grocery store, I spent almost twice what I normally do, and I have decided that my health is worth it. I am not going to be cheap when it comes to what I put in my body. I think in the long term I will save myself a lot of money in medical bills (especially with the current insurance system... if I retire or stop working at my job, I don't know *what* I'll do about insurance!!).

I think there is a reason that sugary cereals can be bought for $1.88. It's because they are trying to sell me JUNK for $1.88. I would rather pay the excruciately high prices for natural stuff. And I would rather support the local stores or even chain "whole foods" stores that are making health a priority and aren't stocking their shelves with whatever sells the cheapest.

I will add that I am finally in financial position to be able to pay more for quality foods, and perhaps that helps me pay more attention. When I was a student I never would have been able to afford $5.00 for a loaf of bread. So I wonder how families that have to stretch an income can afford to eat healthy.
  • neeterskeeter
    Thanks for the bread recipe and the make-your-own bread ideas guys. I am trying to fit in time to make healthy foods at home. :smile:

LuckyLeprachaun, I do understand your point and I have the tendency to get obsessed about things, so I tell myself that balance is key and it's a big improvement that I'm bringing a turkey sandwich -- even if the bread has HFCS in it -- to work instead of eating three cupcakes ha ha ha. I am just alarmed though and this is the first time I have really considered this issue so for me it's like, WOW, the obesity problem really makes sense when you look at most Americans' lifestyle, mine included. I'm just trying to change my lifestyle so that I can feel better and know that I'm eating things that humans are supposed to eat and that are natural. Thanks nopogal for the kudos. :smile:
  • kristie874
    I generally shop at Winco as I'm VERY budgetted and able to find good stuff...even the Milton's bread. They have pretty good prices on things. You could always get the things you know that a cheaper store has there then get the rest of the things at the higher end, healthier stores. A lot of grocery stores now have organics sections, too, so that can be helpful.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Just keep reading your labels!:flowerforyou: You'll soon figure out which brands have HFCS in EVERYTHING!:noway: :grumble: I started focusing on HFCS and hydrogenated oils a few years ago, wanting to give my kids better food. Honestly, as Kristie874 says, shop at stors like Whole Foods- none of their foods contain these things.:smile: You can buy without obsessing over labels!
  • kristie874
    Oh...another idea...when you cook, cook a lot! I do this all the time. I just portion out the extras into containers and freeze it! It's a great way to have healthy frozen meals for lunches and dinners! I've found that brown rice, quinoa, AND pasta all freeze well! Just don't freeze milk based items. They separate.
  • neeterskeeter
    I wish there was a winco in my area (Albuquerque). I do have whole foods, trader joe's, a couple of co-ops and some farmer's markets.

Just in case anyone is interested, this is the guy I heard on the radio last night:

http://www.chefmd.com/

He seems seems like a very helpful resource and I am going to look into his website, book and TV show more.
  • I find those HFCS commercials incredibly annoying as well! You know they need them though since many of us are aware of the fact that it's not so good for us and won't buy it. Have you noticed that more products are coming out with a "no sugar added" version that doesn't have artificial sweetners or HFCS? I think the American people are being heard so now they have to run the commercial to brain wash us all again.

I am also saddened and annoyed that eating healthy has to be make so expensive and rather challenging. It takes a little longer to make sure you read the labels and buy things that aren't chock full of nasty ingredients. This thread is making me want to switch back to shopping at Whole Foods again even though it was hard on our budget. I have a 17 month old who is eating more and more table foods and I want him to be eating things that are good for him.

The only thing I'm finding is that it's difficult to find healthy "diet" foods. For example my friends have been raving about Fiber One products. I looked into them and they all have HFCS!! Also- I got a box of Kellogg's Special K Chocolatey Delight only to realize later it too has HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils.

I do love shopping at the Amish market near here though. I get my meats, produce and dairy there. I think it is slightly more expensive, but I do feel better about the food I'm getting from them.
  • neeterskeeter
    amwolf I hear you but those "diet" products just made me hungry again in an hour or so... that's what HFCS tends to do. So I've realized it's much better to have a "snack" of walnuts or a banana and PB or a slice of toast with tuna... all of them have the same amount of calories as a "diet snack bar" but they are natural and they will keep you full even longer.

It's funny you mentioned the amish store because I've been thinking about that... Amish people don't generally eat "diet" food, they eat real food like meat and dairy and probably don't worry about skim and low fat etc., they just eat it natural, as off the farm. I don't know about the obestiy rate among the Amish but I just did a quick search, for pure curiosity's sake, and I found this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/66466.php - Amish Youth Activity, Obesity Compared To Youth In Modern Society - Old Order Amish Youth Very Active, Rarely Overweight

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Media&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4205 - FIT AMISH LIFESTYLE CONTRASTS WITH MODERN SOCIETY’S INACTIVITY AND OBESITY -- Old Order Amish Surveyed are Six Times More Active than Average Adults; Only Four Percent Obese

I'm thinking that it all makes sense because Amish people haven't bought into the American culture of buying quick, "cheap" pre-packaged foods AND they are a lot more active, having also not bought into the American culture of video games and constant TV etc. It all goes back to the radio guy saying that in 1970, Americans didn't buy stuff made with HFCS, and we weren't nearly as obese of a society as we are now! (And we were more active back then too).

All of this just strengthens my resolve to eat naturally and be active, which doesn't seem to be the American way anymore. :cry: The Chef MD guy also pointed out that 80% of heart disease and cancers are preventable. And even if diabetes runs in someone's family, they do NOT have to get it, by having a healthy lifestyle, they will most likely NOT get it. He said "it's not about the hand of cards you are dealt... it's how you play the hand."
  • It's funny you mentioned the amish store because I've been thinking about that... Amish people don't generally eat "diet" food, they eat real food like meat and dairy and probably don't worry about skim and low fat etc., they just eat it natural, as off the farm. I don't know about the obestiy rate among the Amish but I just did a quick search, for pure curiosity's sake, and I found this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/66466.php - Amish Youth Activity, Obesity Compared To Youth In Modern Society - Old Order Amish Youth Very Active, Rarely Overweight

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Media&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4205 - FIT AMISH LIFESTYLE CONTRASTS WITH MODERN SOCIETY’S INACTIVITY AND OBESITY -- Old Order Amish Surveyed are Six Times More Active than Average Adults; Only Four Percent Obese

Interesting that the first article pointed out that the Amish children, in addition to their daily chores at home, get two recesses and a lunch hour during their school day. Anyone who's been inside the school systems lately know how few recesses there are anymore. I grew up with two 15 minute and one 30 minute recess per day. My students were only given one 15 minute recess at lunch- and physical education time has not been increased to make up for this loss of active play. Just one of the reasons for our higher rates of obesity. But I digress from the topic...
This discussion has been closed.