Gallstones...HELP!?

Options
For the past two or three weeks, I've experienced 3 nights of severe pain in my upper right abdomen which sometimes goes into my chest and back. :grumble: It usually occurs at night and has woken me from a dead sleep a few times.

I've been thinking it could be a NUMBER of things...over exertion at the gym, gas, indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, a pulled muscle...but I'm not sure. My mom, who is a nurse, told me to do some research on gallstones...and sure enough..it seems as though my symptoms match pretty much everything that has to do with them. Causes, risk factors, and symptoms. :mad: :angry: :explode:

They say the "FOUR F'S" has a lot to do with it: Fat, Female, Fertile, and Flatulent. wow...they know how to keep it real. Also, they say that weight loss (significant calorie changes in your diet) and taking birth-control pills can also affect this. Well, thanks for that, too!

I was just curious if anyone else has developed these or experienced these since starting to lose weight? :cry: I find it extremely frustrating that I'm starting to get the ball rolling on this weight loss and becoming healthy, and of course, my body develops something painful! WTH gives?! :grumble:

Just needed to vent and see if anyone else was in my boat. :blushing:

Replies

• Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For the past two or three weeks, I've experienced 3 nights of severe pain in my upper right abdomen which sometimes goes into my chest and back. :grumble: It usually occurs at night and has woken me from a dead sleep a few times.

I've been thinking it could be a NUMBER of things...over exertion at the gym, gas, indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, a pulled muscle...but I'm not sure. My mom, who is a nurse, told me to do some research on gallstones...and sure enough..it seems as though my symptoms match pretty much everything that has to do with them. Causes, risk factors, and symptoms. :mad: :angry: :explode:

They say the "FOUR F'S" has a lot to do with it: Fat, Female, Fertile, and Flatulent. wow...they know how to keep it real. Also, they say that weight loss (significant calorie changes in your diet) and taking birth-control pills can also affect this. Well, thanks for that, too!

I was just curious if anyone else has developed these or experienced these since starting to lose weight? :cry: I find it extremely frustrating that I'm starting to get the ball rolling on this weight loss and becoming healthy, and of course, my body develops something painful! WTH gives?! :grumble:

Just needed to vent and see if anyone else was in my boat. :blushing:
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hi! i developed gall stones after having my 2nd son 3 years ago. i was having painful attacks in my rib area. it hurt to breathe and all i wanted to do was go to bed. they would usually last for a few hours, and then suddenly just go away. i didn't know what it was for the longest time, and then after an ultrasound, was told it was gall stones. i went to a surgeon and he gave me the options of trying to control it with my diet or having my gall bladder removed. i opted for the surgery because i didn't want to constantly have to worry about whether what i ate gave me an attack. i would ask your doctor about it. good luck :smile:
  • kcatt
    kcatt Posts: 6
    Options
    I started doing Jenny Craig in January of last year. I did the program for about 4 months. Since then, I've been trying to lose weight on my own and after a year of efforts....Merry Christmas to me...I got to have my gallbladder removed. I didn't have any attacks except for the one that put me in the hospital to have it removed. I would see your doctor. I thought I had the flu, but my liver had a reaction to the gallstones and I ended up with gallstone-induced hepatitis. Not fun. I don't think that they are something to mess around with. The good news....I can't eat much fat. So when I'm craving a big hamburger or pizza or something bad...I have to remember that it's just not worth it :)
  • cloding
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder removed in November, soudns like that might be what you have. My pain was so severe sometimes I felt like i might have been having a heart attack. It is not a pleasant experience. I would go to see a doctor right away, it may take sometime to get you in. I was told they only way to get rid of it is surgery. I found out I had the gallstones and it took 8 weeks to get me in for surgery. THe surgery is usually done as an outpatient procedure. I went in at 7am and was home alseep in bed by 1pm. I am warning you, it is painful for quite a few days (5-7 days) You also dont eat anything for like 2-3 days. It took me 4 days before i ate what i thought to be a "full" meal. Certain foods trigger your attack, such foods that are rich, fatty, fried, or anything that the bile in your gallbladder usually helps break down. There is so much more information that I can give you regarding how you feel afterwards, what the surgery is like etc. Please let me know if you want/need any other info. Good Luck!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies...unfortunately for me, I don't have health insurance right now. Welcome to the life of a post-college grad working as a temp. UGH! I'm just going to pray that it doesn't get worse.

What I don't understand is that I'm not eating high-fatty or fried foods! And I RARELY ever eat foods high in cholesterol. So...I'm not really sure. Here's to hoping that it doesn't get worse and I can deal with it until I either get a better job/can afford health insurance.

Thanks again.