Country or City?

Options

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Grew up in the middle of nowhere...Went to college in Philadelphia (Temple U)...Realized how much I prefer the country.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Grew up in a city (but not a big city like NYC) and have lived in the country. I love both and am hard pressed to choose where I would rather live. Right now, I'm in a city where some people still keep cows and horses! Its rather funny to be driving along suburban neighborhood street and realize that there are horses watching you!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have lived in the sticks my entire life so can`t imagine living even in a village.
    When I in the next year or so (hopefully) I do want to be closer to things then now.
    To go to a movie now is almost an hour away.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Big City = Memphis (1,000,000) people I think or more, and I love it always have always will. I live in the inner city part and the most enjoyable thing was just the community atmosphere. We played frisbee, baseball, basketball, anything we could find to do as a child. We have a hill on our land and we would get pieces of wood and sled down the hill on the rare Winters it snowed (not iced), very fun.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Country all the way!!!!! But Alberta, Canada does seem a bit different than other parts of North America, in that where I live our town is 8000 people or so and Red Deer which is the closest city is only 45 mins away, and Calgary or Edmonton is only 2 hours away. So I can get to the big city pretty easily if I want, I just never want to........ Red Deer is enough for me. And my town has pretty much everything that you need. Just not some of the stores that I like... But I have never lived in a town or city and I never will.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Beach!!!!

Grew up in the english countryside 10 miles away from the beach.

Now live in the city and hate it.

I feel claustraphobic being in the middle of the country (UK country not countryside) and having to drive 2 hours to the nearest beach when I used to finish work and drive 10 minutes to sit on the beach at midnight listening to the waves watching the moonlight bounce off the water.
  • jessicajane11
    Options
    CANADIAN COUNTRY livin'!! I'm from Nova Scotia (which basically explains my preference), but living in Alberta now..more than 800 people is Way too many for me!! & we always went skeet shooting to keep outta trouble :) or just raised some hell in our pick up trucks!! I love walkin' down the street & everyone knowin' yah by yer first name!!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd say country but with continuing storm force winds, no ferries or planes (therefore no escape route, no food in the shops, no mail etc) beam me to a city now. Any city.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Country all the way!!!!! But Alberta, Canada does seem a bit different than other parts of North America, in that where I live our town is 8000 people or so and Red Deer which is the closest city is only 45 mins away, and Calgary or Edmonton is only 2 hours away. So I can get to the big city pretty easily if I want, I just never want to........ Red Deer is enough for me. And my town has pretty much everything that you need. Just not some of the stores that I like... But I have never lived in a town or city and I never will.

It is different, isn't it? I love Alberta. My sister lives in Waiwright which is a small town two hours east of Edmonton. I loved it out there. They have pretty much everything you could want.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Mattress surfing!

Left a small town of 100,000 in CA to live in a big city of 60,000 in WY.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    City!!

I live in a small town but like that I can get to 2 big cities in less than an hour. And everything I need is within a 15 minute drive.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ideally I'd love to live in the middle of no where, on a lake with tonnes of land. But realistically, I'd like a smaller town --- I like the conveniences of a city, with the green space and quiet of the country.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    City all the way :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm living in a big city (1,000,000) but I wouldn't mind the country (as long as it's not TOO far from a big city so I can get my shot every once in a while)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    City. City, city, city!

I dislike the smell of animals, dirt, and other country-related things. :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have the best of both worlds. I live in a downtown area but can get out to the country in about 10 minutes! :)
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Country for the fresh air. Right now Iive in a town near St. Louis but I am still close enough to my hometown of 250 to get there in an hour and a half. I am a Southern Illinois gal. Love the cornfields!! Hide and seek particularly was one of my faves and wading in the creek wasn't too bad either. LOL
  • amyrae143
    amyrae143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a country girl through and through, tho I've never really lived in a big city.... I get pretty bad anxiety (one reason I'm trying to be more active) and don't do well in crowds of people. I grew up on the water in a small little town that didn't even have a stop light lol, my husband grew up on a farm rite down the road from me so we are both big time country people. We used to do all kinds of stuff to keep busy, we were lucky because where we lived there were fishing lakes everywhere, great places to hike, great water sporting activities, I used to kayak a lot!
    That said, I would love to TRY to live in a BIG city some day. I grew up in WA state about 2.5 hours from Seattle and Love the IDEA of big city living but scared of it too.
    We are living on Oahu rite now (military) and hoping to move back to the Seattle area soon or maybe even go spend some time in NYC need to face those fears of big crowds!!!

But I've always found there is more to do out in the back woods than in the city, oh and did I mention that its FREE! LOL
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Country, most definitely.

I want more than anything to have a house out in the country with a nice peace of land with no neighbors in site :bigsmile:
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Im 100% a City Girl!! I live in Phoenix,AZ and i absolutely love it well besides the heat! I lived in Portales, New Mexico for 3 years when i was little and i absolutely hated it. Going from a large city and schools with hundreds of kids to a school that the entire grade was 10 kids was horrible for me and i sunk into a depression for 3 years I would just cry at school and my mom would have to pick me up i was miserable and its when i began to struggle with my weight and food. Although i cant live in the country visiting is fine its peacefull and relaxing and you can actually see the STARS that was the only thing i loved about living in the country that you could see the stars i didnt know there could be so many!