Help with an injury, calling all runners...

Options
In October I started to have anterior quad pain that radiated into the medial quad. It would generally go away after 2-3 miles when running. I was able to run 2 halves back to back weekend without much problem. In fact the second half I felt awesome at mile 10.

Following that half I started to get more quad pain ... but it didnt hurt when I stepped, it hurt when I strided through and when I stood on one leg. In fact, the pain was so bad that I had to sit down to put pants on.

Saw and MD and PT who diagnosed with quad strain... was told go ahead and run my next half on November 5th and it was MISERABLE the leg pain got worse every mile. Following that I took 3 weeks off: no running, elliptical, yoga, or pretty much anything that stood on my leg. Just swimming and biking and my PT exercises of course.

Tues I got the clearance for 2.5 miles. I had some quad discomfort but nothing major. After the run I had very very slight leg pain. So I got clearance to run the 5 mile race today.

Ouch ... leg pain worsened every mile, only now it hurt when I stepped down while running and actually felt better when walking.

Now after the run, I dont have any anterior quad pain, but only medial leg pain ... and I can tolerate it.

Why does this injury keep changing?

I am scheduled to do the Vegas Half in 1 week ... and the Disney Half in 1 month ... what would you do? Thanks so much for your assistance!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I would take a full 4-6 weeks off to allow it to heal completely-- no running, swimming, elip, etc. Give it the royal treatment (stretch it every couple of days, massage it daily to keep blood flow high) and then gradually return to training.
    I'm dealing with an Achilles injury right now, into week 3 or 4 out of the 6 I'm giving myself.
  • alyxb
    alyxb Posts: 2
    Options
    My mom had kind if the same thing you had...She had to have surgery and then everything was better again... I believe you can do it too. All though I have agle shloterz so I cant do much either and thats why I am on here so I can watch my weight because I'm not excersisng... :(