HELP!!!

Options
I want to get some advice from you guys. I have been off the wagon for some time now. I first found this site late in 2010. Been one year. At the beginning I lost 35lbs. I have since gained back 28 lbs back. I am currently doing the Body by Vi. And been doing this for a month. I am struggling with this as well. Not as convenient as I thought it was going to be. I am the queen of excuses when it comes to exercising or eating bad. I had started last week doing The 30 day Shred. But only ended up doing it 3 times last week. And only once this week. Last night I had no excuse not to do it but I opted to watch tv and relax as I didn't have the kids (VERY RARE!!). So I thought to myself why would I want to spend 30 min exercising when I can be just vegging out because I am soooo tired. So I didn't. And because I didn't have the kids I made myself salsa and velvetta cheese melted in there... with tacos. Then to top that off i had sunflower seeds. That was my supper last night. And it's been bad for a long time. My 2 boys are in hockey so there is hockey Mon-Thurs nights (practices) so I would need to get up early in the mornings to do some type of exercising I tried to do it during my lunch but I was too rushed and got back to work later then expected and don't want to upset my boss. I am not a morning person. when the alarm goes off I just am not in the mood to get up and just thinking about exercising just makes me wrap myself tighter in my blanket and hit snooze 100 times. My boyfriend has mentioned a few times that he notices a difference in me when I am exercising that my moods are better. I know i need to do it. I try to talk myself into doing it. I just don't like it! I have a treadmill and a bike. i have a billion excercise videos. I had started the couch to 5 k program and never finished it. I got to week 5 and I just stopped hockey season started for my boys. I know I need to put myself first. I don't know I need some help. I feel like I am drowning with all these excuses running thru my head.

thank you for reading...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• egrooms88
    Options
    I am in the same boat you are! I can't seem to stay committed at all. If I try to cut back on what I eat I seem to go hungry all the time. After working a full day I really don't feel like doing hardcore cardio when I get home, but I have to do something.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know what it's like to busy single mom trying to juggle kids, work, a boyfriend and exercise.

That being said, I think you should look at your priorites and see what, exactly you can find time to do. You should schedule it, jsut like you schedule the boys' hockey. can you walk, or jog or something while they're practicing? Can you get up 30 minutes early and hop on your treadmill? Can you and your boyfriend take a dance class together? There are a million ways to get active, even if you have a million excuses to get out of it. You jsut have to want it. And then DO it.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's hard to start. I think everyone here can agree. You have to constantly push yourself, trying to think about all the reasons you want to be in better shape. Make a list and post it on the fridge!

Get rid of the velveeta. Remove the option from your household, and you just won't eat it. Do your best to have some food prepared in advance for those rush days that you just need to grab something. I will ALWAYS go to the easiest thing to make. If it's healthy, then all the better.

Make sure you take some time for yourself! If you can push yourself to get up for a morning workout, you'll find that you will have more energy day over day to do all your running around. Just get past those first few days! I do a 22 minute yoga program in the mornings. So really, it's not THAT much earlier, and you feel so much better :)

Once you get going, staying there is a lot easier. And if you feel like you're going to fall off again, just remind yourself how much easier it is to keep going then to start all over again!

This is a lifestyle change. You have to be prepared to just keep going....
  • tdoerr2
    Options
    I am the worlds worst procrastinator! I talk myself in and out of exercise all the time. I just have too. My weight and my diabetes are slowly killing me. Please feel free to add me for extra support. I will do my best!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am the same way about exercise...but what I have found is if you join a challenge group, and have to report your exercise for the day and be accountable, it may motivate you to do it. On another board I am on they have challenges all the time and for me, it does help. I just need to join one again. I've been slacking (but have been losing weight consistently regardless).

Also, back when I lost the majority of my weight.....I kept a log and its neat to see what all I did back then and how much I lost.
    I just took a blank notebook and wrote down how long I walked on the treadmill, how far, and how many calories I burned and my weight next to it.

Being accountable to myself seemed to work back then but I wasn't working so its a bit harder now to be motivated after being away from home 10 hours a day.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works. We all need some buttkicking LOL
  • KimDoberman
    Options
    The key is to fine something that you DO like. When you find out what you really like doing you will stick with it. Get up 30-45 min. earlier than anyone else and give yourself some "me" time, which is exercise that you do like to do. When I exercise, my golden rule is never do what I don't like to do, in my case I hate free weights. I do all other weigh machines, treadmills, etc. By doing what I really like, exercise is fun not drudgery. Otherwise, you reallly will have to cut back even more on what you eat in order to lose weight. So, choose the better of the two evils, either find a fun exercise or cut down more calories. Good luck to you.
  • robinfelix
    Options
    Hi Help!
    Lady, what strikes me most about your post is your dedication to the kids activity, but neglect of your own. I know it's easy to get lost in the day to day, I too am tired 24/7 but hey it's worse carrying around all these negative thoughts. You HAVE to set aside some Me Time. Let the kids know this is Mommie's practice. Make it as important as you make thiers. You make sure nothing gets in the way for them, no matter if they feel like going or not. Do the smae for yourself.
    Another thought is forget the tapes, or the solo exercising it is way too easy to blow it off or stop in the middle when it gets tough. Find somekind of class, and commit. Yeah, I know, another expense, but the kids lessons cost, fees are reasonable and you can do it. If you want to! Besides, you will find other people who are just like you. If they can do it and avoid letting life shut them down, so can you! I do and guirrrlll, I am as lazy as they come!
    Stop beating yourself up! So you had a lousy dinner. Oh well, today is a new day. Let yourself eat what you feel you must. Keep track of every little bite you eat. Every single bite! No cheating, your eyes only. I find that keeps me focused and overall eating what I should! You are spending a lot of energy and devoting a lot of mind space to thinking ugly thoughts about yourself. Stop it. Stop it now use that energy to try a new way.
    Hopefully I helped you to think a little diffrently, at the least just know we all struggle but I am sending you good thoughts and hope to see you repost soon with less focus on your excuses or what you are not doing and a better perspective.
    Good luck! Robin
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I know what it's like to busy single mom trying to juggle kids, work, a boyfriend and exercise.

That being said, I think you should look at your priorites and see what, exactly you can find time to do. You should schedule it, jsut like you schedule the boys' hockey. can you walk, or jog or something while they're practicing? Can you get up 30 minutes early and hop on your treadmill? Can you and your boyfriend take a dance class together? There are a million ways to get active, even if you have a million excuses to get out of it. You jsut have to want it. And then DO it.

good advice. Remember you also can lose weight without hardcore exercise. Can y ou maybe try setting 3-4 week goal. Twice on the wekeend (maybe if you have more time) and twice early in the morning. Morning workouts can suck getting up, but you will feel AWESOME once finished.

write down some goals and priorities, and read them daily. think about why you want to lose weight/be healthy etc.

like your BF said, sounds like your mood really improves with exercising. it's not always just about looking better...but feeling better!

good luck!
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Try a rewards system. Every 5 pounds you do something special for yourself. You cant get on the computer/watch tv until you do at least 30 mins of working out each day. The more you do it the more you will want to do it!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of two who works full time (I'm gone 10 hours a day), then throw in dance for my daughter and football for my son, not to mention a husband who doesn't help out all that much so that means homework with the kids at 7:30pm, etc. Trust me, I KNOW how hard it is to fit something in (exercies) when all you want to do is collapse once you get a moment to yourself! You mentioned the 30DS workout ... this is a GREAT workout and it only takes 20 minutes out of your day. Don't try to do it everyday. Most people can't. Try for every other day. Tell yourself that it is only 20 minutes out of your life every other day and you WILL see a difference if you keep at it, I promise. Spark people also has a workout DVD where all of the mini workouts are 10 minutes long. You choose if you want to work your arms/back/legs/abs, etc. It has it all. If you only have 10 minutes in you, do one workout. If you have 20 minutes in you, do 2. Shoot for 3 10-minute workouts one day. If you're anything like me, you've spent the last decade (or more) taking care of everyone else ... find the time to take care of you. You won't regret it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dear 'Fedup2010',

Please join our MFP group "Mission: Fit Moms" as we deal with topics like this ALL THE TIME!!! :) We are all about supporting one another and helping other Moms figure a way to achieve our goals while trying to balance a hectic lifestyle!

To start, you need practice mental strength so your goals (yes, define them in black and white) will be top priority. And when that is the case, you WILL find time to achieve what is priority. See this post for ideas:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissionFitMom/view/believing-in-yourself-167813

And yes, some days it will be hard, but you can PUSH past any obstacles or when you are 'not feeling it' with support and the right motivation. In the 'Mission: Fit Moms' group, we are building a 'Motivation' room (thread) for all to use as a resource to TAKE ACTION! Check it out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404878-the-motivation-room

Best wishes and stay in touch!
    -Michelle

MFP Group Moderator for 'Mission: Fit Moms'
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Redo your pantry and fridge. Get some God made foods in there! No processed man made foods. They are horrible. Examples: Chips, velveeta, snack cakes etc... Get the mindset that you are doing this for your children so you can live long enough to see your grandchildren (or great grand children) one day. It's hard to make yourself do it (take it from me!) but you just HAVE to do it! Think of how good it will feel to get into that size small or those little jeans again!
  • annadilynn
    Options
    STOP WITH THE EXCUSES! LOve you FEDUP, we have been doing this together for a YEAR!....you know how it works, YOU HAVE TO SUCK IT UP AND JUST DOOOOO IT!....i HAVE days when i dont want to exercise...so i force my self to start doing them...and i end up happy i did....as far as food goes REMOVE THE UNHEALTHY JUNK!....if family members want crap...let THEM GO GET IT and EAT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE...this is YOUR HEALTH and THEIRS that will benifit...BAN JUNK FOOD .... I dont buy peanut butter...cause I cant have it in the house!....I WILL eat it..and not just a spoonful at a time....KNOW YOUR WEAKNESSES!...and avoid them!...I love you and dont want to see you give up!! message me if you need to!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Some great advice in here. I need to re find my focus. I know I CAN do this. I need to get the I can't out of my vocabulary.

:drinker: