The Low Glycemic Index Diet ?

Options
i'm not looking to try this diet. I like the MFP way...but i just read an article on The Low Glycemic Index Diet.....here's some of it...

"The Low GI Diet focuses on foods that are 'Slow-release' in your body. What this means is that when you eat any food, your body digests that food either, quickly, or Slowly depending on the Glycemic index of that food.

Why is that important..

Well, quick 'release foods' are your bodies worst enemy as they are digested quickly by your stomach and your body is unable to burn off the calorie from that food... causing fat deposits to stick to you.

So, our diet "must" consist mainly of 'Slow release foods' which allow us to burn off the calories ingested.

Slow release basically means that your body is getting energy from your food throughout the day and therefore your fat stores will be limited as the calories from your food will be burnt off throughout the day..."

AS i said...i'm planning to stick with the MPF way but if there r foods in the LOW GI i can incorperate in my day too...that would be great!... so my questions r:

1) is this article right and a good thing to do..?
2) does anyone have a list of the low and/or high glycemic Index foods?

THANKS LOTS!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    Options
    i'm not looking to try this diet. I like the MFP way...but i just read an article on The Low Glycemic Index Diet.....here's some of it...

"The Low GI Diet focuses on foods that are 'Slow-release' in your body. What this means is that when you eat any food, your body digests that food either, quickly, or Slowly depending on the Glycemic index of that food.

Why is that important..

Well, quick 'release foods' are your bodies worst enemy as they are digested quickly by your stomach and your body is unable to burn off the calorie from that food... causing fat deposits to stick to you.

So, our diet "must" consist mainly of 'Slow release foods' which allow us to burn off the calories ingested.

Slow release basically means that your body is getting energy from your food throughout the day and therefore your fat stores will be limited as the calories from your food will be burnt off throughout the day..."

AS i said...i'm planning to stick with the MPF way but if there r foods in the LOW GI i can incorperate in my day too...that would be great!... so my questions r:

1) is this article right and a good thing to do..?
    2) does anyone have a list of the low and/or high glycemic Index foods?

THANKS LOTS!:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    yes it actually is very healthy for you. you basically stay away from the negative foods that spike your blood sugar and then drop it fast too. its a good way of eating if you are pre-diabetic or have diabetes or health problems.

i did it before when I first started losing weight prior to MFP I dropped 8-10 lbs quick. Its actually the best way for you to eat your foods pretty strict though. kind of like south beach actually its all about glycemic index
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Without looking up or researching and just drawing from what I already know...if you pick brown carbs over whites you'll be eating foods that are lower on the glycemic index. They don't cause as drastic of a spike in your blood sugar causing highs and lows in energy. Pick brown rice over white, whole wheat bread over white, whole wheat pasta over regular, sweet potatoes over white potatoes. Proteins are also low on the glycemic index so lean meats and cheeses. Typically "brown" carbs have more fiber in them, too, so these, combined with protein rich foods stay with you longer, making you feel full longer. I'll also look and see if there is a website that breaks down more foods for you.

This might be helpful for choosing better foods: http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html
  • sherris
    Options
    hey thanks!!!:flowerforyou:

this list is just what i was looking for....

but i should now ask if this is something an already healthy person with no diabetic problems should consider?

i'm doing well with what i am doing.....but i'm just looking to refine the little things and improve on what i'm already doing....

thanks! again!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Healthy people can do it.
    You know that whole... Nutrisystem thing.... well it's based off this concept (I WOULD NOT recomend that food though).

You'll benefit from it just like anyone else who uses it.
    The thing to remember is that even if a food is HIGHER on the list, doesn't mean it's "bad" (like potatoes) it just means you may not want to eat it all the time.

It won't hurt to try it....even it's just a little at a time.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The thing about choosing foods that are lower on the glycemic index is that they generally contain more fiber and vitamins so they're healthier for you over all. It's still okay to have white potatoes and what not now and then because they do offer their own health benefits, too. You just need to make sure that you keep a stable metabolism and blood sugar. You'll notice the difference when you reduce the amount of foods that are high in carbohydrates and not much else. I just would never recommend the no/low carb only diet. Bad! Who wants to eat pizza toppings without the crust?! Sheesh!!! :laugh:
  • sherris
    Options
    You know that whole... Nutrisystem thing.... well it's based off this concept (I WOULD NOT recomend that food though).

The thing to remember is that even if a food is HIGHER on the list, doesn't mean it's "bad" (like potatoes) it just means you may not want to eat it all the time.

no i realize that...i just thought if i had a choice of a banana at 52 GI or dried apricots 30 GI that i could choose the apricots...not that i'd cut out bananas all together :happy:

thanks again...
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

no i realize that...i just thought if i had a choice of a banana at 52 GI or dried apricots 30 GI that i could choose the apricots...not that i'd cut out bananas all together :happy:

thanks again...

Ha! No I am sure you wouldn't...
    I've just heard of some people (not on here) eating candy bars instead of healthy food cause it was lower on the index. Potatoes are high on the list.... but I wouldn't recomend replacing them with a Snickers. Does that make sense?

Smart choices no matter which way ya go. :smile: