Is this cheating?

Options
I was thinking about going in for a colon hydrotherapy session near the end of my 60 days of P90X. If I'm able to reach my goal weight or am smaller because of that would you consider that cheating? I appreciate any and all opinions on this thanks.

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" refers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. You're not in a competitive situation so no. At the end of the day, you're only accountable to yourself. If you use a method to artificially lose weight (such a water pills or colon cleanse), you're only trying to fool yourself...

And colon cleanses are a scam anyway.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Interesting - what happens a week after the clenses and the scale goes up?
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Colon cleanses don't really work in the long run (aren't they unsafe as well? I am unsure) I would stick to your p90x and nutrition goals. This will work, and increase your energy/ confidence! :D
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    it fills back right away. you artifically empty completely when the natural state is full. you can loose up to 6/7 pounds in 24 hours, and then two days later you're back to normal..
    my 2c
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't go there! You won't feel good. I bought some "cleanse" tea once by mistake and omg...I was sick!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Interesting - what happens a week after the clenses and the scale goes up?

hmmm... good call. unless you are going to live your life with nothing inside your body then a colon cleanse isn't going to change much.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure what colon hydrotherapy was, so I Googled it.

They say it is relaxing, but then admit to how they do it. It seems like a bizzare prank.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It might help you reach your goal weight *very* temporarily, but it won't make you smaller. Colon cleanses don't help you lose weight. They simply clean out excess stool that is in the colon. The next time stool passes through on its way out, it will fill in those crevices again.

Is it cheating? Only the cheater can answer that.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    They simply clean out excess stool that is in the colon.
    Actually, they don't even do that.

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I wouldn't do it. I've heard some bad things about colon cleanses. In my opinion, losing a few pounds I will gain right back isn't worth possibly throwing my entire body off track. I've heard that they mess with the good and normal bacteria in your intestinal track and can cause some pretty icky infections because the "good" stuff isn't there anymore.

My vote is don't do it. Lose the weight the right way. This is a temporary weight loss and will come right back.
  • southphilly_chic
    southphilly_chic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinion :-) Just to clarify I'm not going to use like a colon cleanse product, I would just be getting water pumped into me and then drained out.

I do understand what you guys are saying when you say the effects wont last and I didn't think too much about that part.

I also read somewhere that is good to cleanse your colon like every 6months or so.

So I think that I'm still gonna do it, but not for weight loss reasons now, just to clean it out. Plus I bought a livingsocial deal for it lol so it's like I have to use it now lol :laugh:

Anyway thanks for your help

Lara
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's cheating. If you want to have it done, go for it!

Don't worry too much about what other people here think about your way of doing things. What is right for you is going to be completely wrong for the next person. One of MFP's downfalls is that everybody has an opinion on everything and we end up listening to them instead of ourselves and our bodies!

Take care x
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Don't worry too much about what other people here think about your way of doing things. What is right for you is going to be completely wrong for the next person. One of MFP's downfalls is that everybody has an opinion on everything and we end up listening to them instead of ourselves and our bodies!

Take care x

Right on sister!
  • Lydia227
    Lydia227 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, You should do what you think is right. If you feel like its cheating then it is, if not then don't worry about it. I don't know anything about what you will be getting done but if you have done the research on it and feel good about it still then go for it!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Why is it cheating?
    The cleanse just flush out waste. It will back up again overtime. The weight you will lose is not fat nor mucle.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Take care x

But she asked:ohwell:

The question is "Is it cheating"
    My answer would be : If it feels like it to you, then it is. :flowerforyou:

Lara, congratulations on all the work you have put into this new lifestyle. If I made it through that program I would celebrate by buying a new outfit! :wink:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

Take care x

But she asked:ohwell:

The question is "Is it cheating"
    My answer would be : If it feels like it to you, then it is. :flowerforyou:

Lara, congratulations on all the work you have put into this new lifestyle. If I made it through that program I would celebrate by buying a new outfit! :wink:

And Isn't that the point? To get peoples opinions and feedback????? Wow-maybe I came to the wrong place LOL
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I also read somewhere that is good to cleanse your colon like every 6months or so.

So I think that I'm still gonna do it, but not for weight loss reasons now, just to clean it out.
    Colonics, or colon hydrotherapy, have been proven to be unnecessary. The idea of rotting waste in the colon has also been rejected by medical professionals.

"Around the turn of the twentieth century many physicians accepted the concept of autointoxication, but it was abandoned after scientific observations proved it wrong. In 1919 and 1922, it was clearly demonstrated that symptoms of headache, fatigue, and loss of appetite that accompanied fecal impaction were caused by mechanical distension of the colon rather than by production or absorption of toxins. Moreover, direct observation of the colon during surgical procedures or autopsies found no evidence that hardened feces accumulate on the intestinal walls.

Today we know that most of the digestive process takes place in the small intestine, from which nutrients are absorbed into the body. The remaining mixture of food and undigested particles then enters the large intestine, which can be compared to a 40-inch-long hollow tube. Its principal functions are to transport food wastes from the small intestine to the rectum for elimination and to absorb minerals and water. Careful observations have shown that the bowel habits of healthy individuals can vary greatly. Although most people have a movement daily, some have several movements each day, while others can go several days or even longer with no adverse effects.

The popular diet book Fit for Life (1986) is based on the notion that when certain foods are eaten together, they "rot," poison the system, and make the person fat. To avoid this, the authors recommend that fats, carbohydrates and protein foods be eaten at separate meals, emphasizing fruits and vegetables because foods high in water content can "wash the toxic waste from the inside of the body" instead of "clogging" the body. These ideas are utter nonsense."

More info and sources available here: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html