Vegans - meal help

Options
Looking for sample days with no processed foods. I tend to fall into the processed food trap and am looking for ideas/sample meals, etc. Thanks.

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites this time of year:

chickpea-root vegetable soup
    lentil soup
    shepherd's pie with lentils, veggies, mashed potatoes
    vegetable curry

Have you seen Chef AJ's videos online or her book 'Unprocessed'? Some great ideas there.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Checkout happyherbivore.com - lots of simple recipes. She also has cookbooks.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My diet is a slippery slope and I have ended up lacto-ovo and eating too many processed things. I need to clean it up.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi there,

You can also try www.thekindlife.com

I found some great vegetarian and vegan recipes!
  • kkerri
    Options
    I am actually going to get the Kind Diet book today :-)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Like most people probably, I start making more of soups and stews as the weather cools. It's a great way to eat more whole foods (and cook a bit less frequently!). Consider experimenting with a squash, chipotle, and red bean stew, or a red cabbage, red pepper and tomato soup, or Thai & south Indian curries.

Stir-frys are an even easier way to incorporate whole vegetables and fruits and tolerate a very wide variety of ingredients and seasonings.

The occasional vegetable casserole can also hit the spot and having the oven on keeps the apartment warm! If your ingredients are fresh, diverse and plentiful you can keep the binder minimal (where processed foods might usually be used). Try a tahini and garlic based sauce for binding, or a cashew-dill sauce.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Today I have had porridge with chia seeds (can have with soya milk), olive focaccia, and have made leek and potato soup (olive oil, leeks, potatoes and veg stock cubes) for this evening. I have also had a couple of TVP sausages for protein. I eat dairy, so had a halloumi cheese wrap, but it would be just as good without - just a lot of salad, seeded wrap and chilli jelly.
  • _JPH_
    _JPH_ Posts: 25
    Options
    PCRM.ORG has a link to a ton of easy vegan recipes. Enjoy!
  • _JPH_
    Options
    E2.com is great as well.
    Engine 2 diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No processed foods? :( what about delicious Daiya cheese!?
  • bunny876
    bunny876 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love this website, her book is actually what helped me when I was starting with the Vegan diet. I was just looking at her site trying to get back on track when I saw your post.

http://www.theppk.com/

She has great recipes, and awesome cook books.
  • kkerri
    Options
    E2 is a good suggestion, too. I forgot about that.
  • Samsara9
    Options
    No processed foods? :( what about delicious Daiya cheese!?
    Mmmmm....Daiya cheese!! Genius!!
  • Samsara9
    Options
    Soup, soup and more soup!!! I buy veggie stock at Whole Foods and can whip up a fast veggie soup in 30 minutes...add some crusty bread and a salad and you are set. And, soup tastes even better the day after. Potato leek, white bean with Kale, Thai coconut soup are some favorites of mine. Also Indian curries!! Grab an Indian cookbook from the library, or just surf the web for fast and easy dinners (I love Aloo Gobi over rice).
  • bunny876
    bunny876 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Soup, soup and more soup!!! I buy veggie stock at Whole Foods and can whip up a fast veggie soup in 30 minutes...add some crusty bread and a salad and you are set. And, soup tastes even better the day after. Potato leek, white bean with Kale, Thai coconut soup are some favorites of mine. Also Indian curries!! Grab an Indian cookbook from the library, or just surf the web for fast and easy dinners (I love Aloo Gobi over rice).

Great ideas. I love to fix big pots of soup and them freeze them in individual serving containers for quick meals. I am going to have to look up Aloo Gobi and see what that is.
  • Samsara9
    Options

Great ideas. I love to fix big pots of soup and them freeze them in individual serving containers for quick meals. I am going to have to look up Aloo Gobi and see what that is.
    That sounds like a great, time saving idea!! Aloo Gobi is like a potato/cauliflower curry. I have found some easy ones online. There is also a great Vegetable Biryani (I think that is how it is spelled....it is a lentil and veggie "curry") in La Dolce Vegan! I collect Vegan cookbooks :love:
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Checkout happyherbivore.com - lots of simple recipes. She also has cookbooks.

Second this!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Salads, stir fries, homemade tempeh "bacon" for sandwiches, oatmeal, fruit, steamed veggies, baked squash, baked yams (yummy!!), soup... homemade, with less sodium... layered casseroles..

Get some tortillas and make some wonderful veggie fajitas

Almond butter and banana sandwich..

Stuff celery with peanut butter or almond butter, top with a few raisins

Baked potatoes...

Whole grain pasta with sauce... either a great organic vegan sauce, or throw some soaked sun dried tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and onions in the blender with enough water to make sauce... heat up and serve
  • daschramms
    Options
    Butternut Squash and Black Bean "chili"-totally vegan if you skip the dallop of greek yoghurt. Super east to make just add the ingredients into a crock pot and serve. My husband will eat 2 bowls of it and he's a meat and potatoes man. My kids love it too! Let me know and I will post the recipe.
  • _JPH_
    Options
    I forgot about Dr. Neal Barnard "21 day kick start" book as well. Yeah, trying to make the switch myself.