anyone with a flair for interior design??

Options
fitchick99
fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
Ok, so I need to seriously remodel the bedroom, I have a solid oak four poster bed, the kind with the enormous posters, it was made by my great grandad for my great grandma somewhere around 1892, I have had dressers made to match, and had the bed refinished to it's original wood and then stained the way it would have been way back in the day, a nice amber hued oak finish, somewhere in the yellow/orange family I would say, a lighter wood that's for sure, I love this bed, but I've had the same bedding colours forever, everything in the deep reds/mahogany colours, i'm at a lost what to do, I would like to paint my walls, currently a medium beige with a deep red accent wall, bedding is reds/golds, same with the curtains, i'm just plain sick of it, but being the bed is gargantuan I have no idea what else to do....help...please! oh, and I have lots of kids so the colours need to be friendly with toddlers lol.....anyone got a flair for design, cause I don't..:laugh: I don't know if it matters but the bedroom is 40x16 with an ensuite that hopefully I can coordinate.

Replies

• fitchick99
    Options
    Ok, so I need to seriously remodel the bedroom, I have a solid oak four poster bed, the kind with the enormous posters, it was made by my great grandad for my great grandma somewhere around 1892, I have had dressers made to match, and had the bed refinished to it's original wood and then stained the way it would have been way back in the day, a nice amber hued oak finish, somewhere in the yellow/orange family I would say, a lighter wood that's for sure, I love this bed, but I've had the same bedding colours forever, everything in the deep reds/mahogany colours, i'm at a lost what to do, I would like to paint my walls, currently a medium beige with a deep red accent wall, bedding is reds/golds, same with the curtains, i'm just plain sick of it, but being the bed is gargantuan I have no idea what else to do....help...please! oh, and I have lots of kids so the colours need to be friendly with toddlers lol.....anyone got a flair for design, cause I don't..:laugh: I don't know if it matters but the bedroom is 40x16 with an ensuite that hopefully I can coordinate.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love painting and all that fun stuff :)

Few questions - so right now the room is beige and you want to keep the beige but add a red accent wall? Is the red a "must have"?

Do you have any rugs, pictures, or decorative item that is a "must have" and if so, what color(s) are they?

What colors (mainly) do you have in the rest of your house?

What color is your carpet?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Can you get us a picture??

I'm really just interested in seeing the bed. :wink: It sounds sooooooo cool!
  • fitchick99
    Options

Few questions - so right now the room is beige and you want to keep the beige but add a red accent wall? Is the red a "must have"?

Do you have any rugs, pictures, or decorative item that is a "must have" and if so, what color(s) are they?

Yeahhh, someone answered! :laugh: everything can go except the bedroom furniture, I want to repaint, new window coverings....the floor is a medium oak hardwood, the weird thing the rest of the house is pretty modern, leather sectional, deep black-brown, my dining set is also the black-brown, with camel coloured leather parson chairs, med-oak floors throught the house, medium, beige and olive green walls throughout the space, I have a thing for african art, and masks, scattered around the house, not tribal though, just accent pieces, but all of the art is huge......hmmmm, there's really no colours I don't like, the bedroom furniture really doesn't fit my style...but it's so beautiful..I can at least respect that era of furniture making, and it's so sentimental, that I don't want to get rid of it, but I think I would even be open to painting it, it would be a huge task, but doable....is this helpful?
  • fitchick99
    Options
    Can you get us a picture??

I'm really just interested in seeing the bed. :wink: It sounds sooooooo cool!
    I'm gonna try to get my daughter to take a pic for me when she gets home, i'm a total spaz when it comes to cameras and the computer...lol,
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think something in the range of moss green and cocoa shades of brown would go well depending on your carpet color. The earth tones would create a subtle, relaxing room. You could do an ivy border on a light cocoa wall and creat a soft romantic feeling.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Yeahhh, someone answered! :laugh: everything can go except the bedroom furniture, I want to repaint, new window coverings....the floor is a medium oak hardwood, the weird thing the rest of the house is pretty modern, leather sectional, deep black-brown, my dining set is also the black-brown, with camel coloured leather parson chairs, med-oak floors throught the house, medium, beige and olive green walls throughout the space, I have a thing for african art, and masks, scattered around the house, not tribal though, just accent pieces, but all of the art is huge......hmmmm, there's really no colours I don't like, the bedroom furniture really doesn't fit my style...but it's so beautiful..I can at least respect that era of furniture making, and it's so sentimental, that I don't want to get rid of it, but I think I would even be open to painting it, it would be a huge task, but doable....is this helpful?

Yes - I have a much better idea now :)

ok, first off - I would NOT paint the bed/dresser. If you want to change the color, then I would stain it a darker color if you want to change it, otherwise leave it.

Working with the oak colors - I would probably not go for a red accent wall. In both of my previous houses I had the formal dining room (with mahagony furniture) with a red accent wall and it was perfect with the dark wood. Not sure if it would flow with oak colors. You should have some kind of flow throughout the house - so if you are already working with earth tones in the rest of the house - it would be good to incorporate some of those in your bedroom. Blues and greens would compliment the oak nicely. Purple would be awesome (if your hubby is amendable to that, lol.) I had a friend who painted one wall eggplant and the three walls lighter purple color. She had satin eggplant bedspread with lots of pillows and shimmery eggplant curtains - whooo! Can you say harem?? :laugh:

Periwinkle is a nice lighter blue-purple combo, and you could do a little more of a B&B feel with this color - going with handmade quilt and light white curtains in the window.

Be careful with dark green - with the oak combo, you will get a rustic "hunting lodge" feel (if that's what you want - go for it!)

In my current living room, the ceiling is oak - I painted the walls a tropical green (deep lime color) and it is fabulous and trendy. No lodge feel there, lol.

Painting the enclave - dark makes it look smaller and light makes it look bigger. Similiar colors will blend and different colors will make it pop. What is your objective with the enclave? What will you use it for?
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I used to be a stager for model homes. I have a lot of experience in this area. The color of the furniture I am assuming is more orange in color. That will be hard to decorate around. I would suggest earth tones. A medium sage green or medium muted blue would look nice on the wall. You want to stick with colors that naturally occur in nature. I suggest going to home depot or lowes and finding colors and then put them next to the furniture to find a good match. The linens I would go with browns and the color you choose for the wall.
  • fitchick99
    Options
    I used to be a stager for model homes. I have a lot of experience in this area. The color of the furniture I am assuming is more orange in color. That will be hard to decorate around. I would suggest earth tones. A medium sage green or medium muted blue would look nice on the wall. You want to stick with colors that naturally occur in nature. I suggest going to home depot or lowes and finding colors and then put them next to the furniture to find a good match. The linens I would go with browns and the color you choose for the wall.

I like the green idea...and you're right it's an orange tone.....It's really hard to work with, i'm thinking about maybe staining in a darker ebony colour, but afraid i'll compromise the look of the bed.