Which food should I pick from this menu?

Options
This is for a party I'm going to in a month. Don't want to TOO far over my target of 1300 cals if I can help it, so which options should I pick? Need to choose 1 from each category.

Starters
Leek & Potato Soup with Crusty Bread (v)
Smoked Salmon Roulade stuffed with Cream Cheese & Chives
Smoked Chicken & Crispy Bacon Salad with mixed Baby Leaves, Caesar Dressing & Garlic & Herb Croutons
Chicken Terrine - Asparagus, Bell Pepper & Chicken Terrine with Baby Leaf Salad
Tomato & Mozzarella Tart with Basil Dressing (v)

Mains
Roasted Turkey Escalope - Pork & Cranberry stuffing and wrapped in Bacon with Cranberry Gravy
Roasted Salmon - Parsley & Parmesan Crust with herb New Potatoes
Braised Lamb Shank with creamy Mash & Rosemary Jus
Beef Medallions with Mushroom & Marsala Sauce
Vegetable Wellington with Red Pepper Dressing (v)

Desserts
Chocolate Orange Tart with Coffee Ice Cream
Traditional Christmas Pudding with Brandy Cream
Raspberry & Vanilla Pannacotta with Fresh Berries
Classic Strawberry Trifle - Devonshire Custard & Sherry Soaked Sponge Fingers
Cheese Platter with Homemade Chutney, Biscuits, Celery & Grapes

To follow
Coffee with Festive Petit Fours

Replies

• If I were you:
    Starters: Chicken Terrine
    Mains: Roasted Salmon
    Desserts: Raspberry and Vanilla Pannacotta with berries

All super delicious and super healthy for you! Good luck & have fun!
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would try to get more information around calories/fat/carbs/sodium/etc. Sometimes things aren't as healthy as they appear.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ask them how they make their leek and potato soup. If they make it with water, it's ridiculously low-calorie; even if they use nonfat milk, it's still a good choice. On the other hand, if they use cream, then I might skip it. (Also, don't forget to go easy on the bread!) The chicken with asparagus also sounds quite good.

For the main course, I would think that the beef would be the lowest in calories. However, you could also order the salmon and scrape off the cheese.

For dessert, order the cheese platter and stick to eating the celery and grapes only. Then you can enjoy your petit fours.

Another easy way to save calories is to cut all of your portions in half. Also, drink as much water as you possibly can during the meal – it will help fill you up.

In any case, all of that food sounds delicious, and I hope that you enjoy the party!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say:

Chicken Terrine
    vegetable wellington with red pepper dressing
    I think the desserts are kinda a toss up. I'd prolly pick the cheese platter, the cheese pieces prolly won't be that big and the celery and grapes don't have very many cal.

Anyway those are my suggestions. Have a fun time!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    This is for a party I'm going to in a month. Don't want to TOO far over my target of 1300 cals if I can help it, so which options should I pick? Need to choose 1 from each category.

Starters
    Leek & Potato Soup with Crusty Bread (v)
    Smoked Salmon Roulade stuffed with Cream Cheese & Chives
    Smoked Chicken & Crispy Bacon Salad with mixed Baby Leaves, Caesar Dressing & Garlic & Herb Croutons
    Chicken Terrine - Asparagus, Bell Pepper & Chicken Terrine with Baby Leaf Salad
    Tomato & Mozzarella Tart with Basil Dressing (v)

Mains
    Roasted Turkey Escalope - Pork & Cranberry stuffing and wrapped in Bacon with Cranberry Gravy
    Roasted Salmon - Parsley & Parmesan Crust with herb New Potatoes
    Braised Lamb Shank with creamy Mash & Rosemary Jus
    Beef Medallions with Mushroom & Marsala Sauce
    Vegetable Wellington with Red Pepper Dressing (v)

Desserts
    Chocolate Orange Tart with Coffee Ice Cream
    Traditional Christmas Pudding with Brandy Cream
    Raspberry & Vanilla Pannacotta with Fresh Berries
    Classic Strawberry Trifle - Devonshire Custard & Sherry Soaked Sponge Fingers
    Cheese Platter with Homemade Chutney, Biscuits, Celery & Grapes

To follow
    Coffee with Festive Petit Fours

Why do you need to choose from each category? Eat before you go so you won't be starving, and I would do:

Salad with no dressing or croutons, veggie entree, pannacotta, and coffee. GL!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

For dessert, order the cheese platter and stick to eating the celery and grapes only. Then you can enjoy your petit fours.

Agreed.
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say eat what you want and don't log it! It's a party and you are clearly doing well and deserve a treat! :) if you have outings and occasions like this to look forward to, it will make you more motivated to stick at this long term! I would hate to think that I will never be able to go out for a meal or party and not worry about counting calories!

Go have fun, and drink extra water and be motivated for that extra workout the next few days!

X
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Get the ones that you think you would enjoy the most.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I would say eat what you want and don't log it! It's a party and you are clearly doing well and deserve a treat! :) if you have outings and occasions like this to look forward to, it will make you more motivated to stick at this long term! I would hate to think that I will never be able to go out for a meal or party and not worry about counting calories!

Go have fun, and drink extra water and be motivated for that extra workout the next few days!

X
    Agreed. Unless you're prepping it yourself, or are privy to the recipe, there's no way to know which dish is a better fit than the other. Even what may appear to be a lean protein could be cooked in outrageous amounts of fat or breading.

Have fun, write it off, and keep chugging along the next day.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    -Chicken Terrine (lean protein will fill you up)
    -Roasted Salmon (lean protein will fill you up)
    -Raspberry and vanilla Pannacotta (sweet treat so you don't feel deprived & berries are low cal/ super healthy)

YUM!! Have fun! :drinker:
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If I were you:
    Starters: Chicken Terrine
    Mains: Roasted Salmon
    Desserts: Raspberry and Vanilla Pannacotta with berries

All super delicious and super healthy for you! Good luck & have fun!
    I would eat those and do a good workout in the morning and make sure to drink water and let yourself have fun !
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options

X

I totally agree with that. One night is not going to make or break you!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's a party. Relax, because one meal won't kill you. Eat what you would find delicious and enjoy the company. Scraping off things and avoiding part are just going to make you look fussy.
  • roxleefall
    Options

X

I agree its a party put in the extra work tomorrow if you are that concerned!!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Get the ones that you think you would enjoy the most.
    Yep!
    You really can't know which of those is lower cal. I like to just not worry about it once in a while, and this would be the night for it. I would not recommend grilling the hosts about nutritional information. :) It looks like a GREAT menu, just thank them for having you, and enjoy.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well, The wellington & the tart are definite no-no's due to the pastry involved. And any way you go, you will be over budget on dinner alone on the day of the party.

But to be honest, when it comes to a costly set menu like that, throw the day away & enjoy it in moderation. Why sacrifice quality of life & waste the money on such a holiday affair when you can't enjoy it? It will suck the fun right out of the event. Just be accountable for every bite, and put in the extra exercise effort for it the day of the event, as well as the next day.

Fine dining is not the time to ask how many calories are in this or that, the chef has made each dish in a specific manner for a reason. It's his/her art, and to change it would no doubt ruin it.
  • rochey1098
    Options

X

This :smile:
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    chicken terrine
    veg wellingtom (dont eat the pastry)
    and cheese platter
    and remember to only enough to feel satisfied - that also means dont eat the most calorie laden item for each course (eg the pastry on the wellington)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would say chicken terrine, salmon and pannecotta too. Enjoy it and log it. Its only one day
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    oh, sweetie, enjoy your time a the party. Life is to be enjoyed. Stressing over what you will eat there will detract from your enjoyment with your friends.
    Exercise that morning, drink lots of water and get back on board the next day.
    Have fun. I'm sure the person having the party wants you to enjoy your food. Pick what you like & enjoy.
    Just get back on track afterwards, I"m sure your pals here will help you.