Does 1350 sound like a low calorie goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    i do want to add that I agree that the term "starvation mode" gets tossed around a little too freely, but lot of people - me included - find that we do/did a little better with a little more calories. It's all about finding YOUR sweet spot. Just because you can eat 1200 calories, sometimes less, a day and feel satisfied, doesn't mean that it's the right amount for you, or anyone else, as an individual.

Experiment. Try different things. If you really feel snarly at 1350, try 1450. Sometimes it's even just a psychological difference. We like seeing those green numbers at the end of the day, so if your goal is 1350 and you eat 1375, you might feel like, "Oh, darn. I went over." But if your goal was 1450 and you ate 1375, you'd do the happy "I stayed under my calories" dance.

Personally, I was happiest at 1450-1500, and really happy that now that I'm in maintenance, I can eat pretty much whatever I want, since with activity and exercise, my daily goal is around 2000. I would hate to think that I was stuck limiting my calories forever. Some people are fine with that, but I love eating. My family loves eating. I love going out for drinks and appetizers and not worrying that I'm blowing it.

Check these links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more
  • leelee_1974
    Options
    Hi, I've set my goal at 1200 per day, but so far have been eating about 1400+ becuase I do long fast walks and cycle to work. I've been committed to this for just over a week and today's the first day I've felt less than 100%. Having said that, when I was eating whatever I liked there'd be days like this so I'm trying to listen to my body without going down the jumbo snickers and hot chocolate route!! What I have found is that the days I've eaten more in the morning adn at lunch, I've not been that hungry later on so I'm trying to eat more than normal in the morning even if it's not the time of day I usually feel hungry.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calories are coming from quality foods. Processed food, pre-made and restaurant meals, fatty salad dressings and sugary coffee drinks add tons of calories and will leave you feeling hungry. Fill up with fruits, lots of veggies, lean proteins and a bit of healthy fat and you will feel fuller for longer using fewer calories.

Oh and yes, make sure to add exercise to earn more calories, and eat those back!
  • hellodolly62
    Options
    Check your carb ct. It might be to high and thats why you you are feeling hungry. If this is the case, Increase your protein and decrease carbs. Your calorie ct may go over your targaret amt but thats ok. Also. When you feel hungry, drink a tall glass of water. I read an artical about water that said: when you get hungry its more than likely dehydration not hunger pains. So when you get hungry drink water. I hope this helps you.