Crackling Knees....?

Options
Hey to all my fellow mfp's!

So heres the deal, I've been exercising for a while now and really pushing myself with Jillian Michaels workouts. For about a week and a half-2 weeks, I couldnt exercise because I was sick. I started back on my Jillian routine....and had to stop because I felt extremely dizzy and thought I was gonna vomit. Now, I know this can be several things.....it could be blood sugar-not eating enough-overdoing it, etc. I'm not really looking for any diagnoses....just strategies to get around this. Has anyone else experienced this? This is the worst feeling EVER when you can't finish a workout that you were bustin out just 2 weeks ago like it was nothin! So how do I overcome this? It's very frustrating!

Also, I want to incorporate running into my workout. I found an awesome schedule on google for beginner runners, and was going to use that. Now, my knees are the issue here. Whenever I bend my knees, even just to pick something up...they crack. When I do bicycle crunches, they crack. When I do leg extensions, they crack, so on and so forth. SO, that being said, would it be wise of me to start running? Has anyone else had this issue? And walking just doesn't do it for me....been there, done that. Its just not stimulating enough for me.

If anyone has any advice or pointers, that would be awesome! Thanks for your help!

:huh:

Replies

• oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am not sure if running is such a good idea considering the state of your knees. I have osteoarthritis and know exactly what you mean when you talk about crackling knees. Every time I go up or down the stairs in our home it sounds like Rice Krispies!! Ugh!! Sometimes I feel like its a Catch-22 : I want to exercise to take the weight off of my knees. but exercising hurts my knees which makes it harder to lose weight.

As I read your post I happen to see this article link: http://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis-osteoarthritis-exercises?utm_account=N-Q&utm_medium=google&utm_semcampaign=Osteoarthritis+[Musculoskeletal]+-+CPUV+(Synvisc)+Content&utm_adgroup=exercises&utm_match=&utm_query=exercises for knee pain relief&utm_term=&utm_content=9256120576&utm_source=google&marinid=c9NAMmtqw

It talks about knee exercises you can do when suffering from knee ailments. I am going to try them myself.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    More recovery time between workouts.
  • MitchFletcher
    Options
    Johns Hopkins Sports Medicine Patient Guide to Joint Cracking & Popping

Our Sports Medicine and
    Shoulder Surgeons

Is cracking and popping of joints normal?

Cracking and popping of joints is usually normal and most of the time is nothing to be concerned about. Strangely enough the exact reason joints pop and snap is not totally understood. One theory is that the ligaments (tethers that hold the bones together) make these noises as they get tight rapidly when the joint is moving. In some instances, popping may be due to a tendon snapping over or around the joint. Another theory is that nitrogen bubbles in the fluid inside the joint are rapidly brought into or out of solution when the joint is manipulated, such as cracking the knuckles in the hand. These noises with movement of a joint, particularly the knee, may sound like folding stiff paper, and are called "crepitus". These noises are increased frequently after surgery on a joint, although the exact reason is not clear.

Do these sounds need to be treated?

Whatever the cause, these sounds do not need to be specifically treated. There are no long term sequelae of these noises, and they do not lead to future problems. There is no basis for the admonition to not crack your knuckles because it can lead to arthritis. There are no supplements or exercises to prevent these noises.

When should I worry about the cracking and popping of a joint?

The only time to worry about cracking or popping of a joint is if there is pain when the joint pops. Swelling is not normal and should be evaluated if it accompanies the noises. If the joint gets locked or stuck when it pops or cracks then it may indicate a joint problem that should be evaluated. If you are losing motion of the joint, if it is swelling or if you are losing function of the joint, then you should seek medical treatment
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    I would avoid running with your knee problem. Look up exercises to strengthen the muscles around your knees first (yoga, pilates, resistance, etc), and instead of running, do walking. See if the cracking gets any better.
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    I don't have tips for dizziness other than making sure you are hydrated, but I've had crackly joints since I was a preteen. I seem to have inherited them from my dad's side of the family. I jog several times a week as well as practicing martial arts including sparring on a regular basis, and I've never had any problems with them hurting. In my case, they are just loud.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Depends what the cracking is due to. In my case, my knee caps are too high, therefore go out of alignment when it is bend and the cracking is due to loose cartilages from the rubbing of the knee cap. Anyhow, there are exercise for this. Orthopedic surgeon told me to avoid lunges, squat, even bicycle unless the seat is high enough for my knee not to be too bent. That said, I have starting running since September, started a program called C25K (couch to 5 K) and my knees are hurting way less, I still try to avoid exercise that force them to bend, make sure I have a good pair of running shoes to absorb shocks as much as possible and also run on grass.
    Try it and see how it goes, the key is not too force it and listen to your body, maybe see a doctor before to understand where the cracking is coming from.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    As for the crackling and popping - that was me as looooong as I can remember ... I'm 47 and my physio confirmed BJHS (Hypermobility).

Simple DIY test on some websites:

http://www.hypermobility.org/diagnosis.php

and

http://www.gp-training.net/rheum/hypermobility/index.htm

I have only done walking (as opposed to running - exhausting me after 1-2 minutes), then 5 months after my first walking shoes I developed tendonitis because of overpronation.

Physio recommends Pilates. I tried a Body Balance class the other night and in a Yoga move I felt my hip 'pop'.

I am now strengthening with small weights, many reps to stop the joints going too far.