Bariatric Surgery

Options
13»

Replies

• 40Rennie
    Options
    I can definitely see your situation being a hard one to figure out. Losing the weight is do-able not just to get to the 300lbs but to get to goal. The only problem is that not all of us are able to stick with something long enough to get to goal before any serious health issues arise. I've known people that lost over 100lbs with and without surgery. Its a hard call, I would say if you're not currently battling any life or death health issues and have an adequate support system around you outside of MFP try doing it slowly on your own but if your doctor said your diabetes is very bad and you're currently taking insulin then if its me I would do the surgery to ensure no life threatening situation. Bottom-line its a decision only you can make and I wish you all the best. I'm not sure if you believe in the power of praying but if you do take it to the Lord and ask for his guidance. Good Luck.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I joined this site roughly 4 weeks ago looking for some options to my weightloss, I am always trying to mix it up and even after 28 months I am constantly learning. Look you can tell people feel strongly on both sides of the equation but whether your right and I am wrong or vise versa is a stupid argument for either side to have when it comes right down to it, I for one am happy for anyone that is able to regain control of their life regardless. 28 months ago I was starring down the barrel of a load hand gun. I had ate myself into corner. Severe depression, food addictions, Severe social phobia's... I couldn't walk from room to room, I was 560 lbs. and I literally had not left the house in 2 years. After 3 days of contemplating taking the easy way out I finally had that Aha moment and when my wife came home I took the first step any addict can take and that is admitting I had a problem and that I needed Help... When you hit rock bottom and have nowhere to go but up (and even though you don't know how to get out of the hole you have dug yourself into) You stop saying no and start saying yes no matter what and that is what I did. I knew from the start Surgery was Not an option for Me. I weighed 230 in the 6th grade 160 in the 7th grade 250 in the 9th grade 280 when I graduated, 209 when I came out of the Army, and 560lbs. at my worst. I knew for me if I didn't fix the problems in my head then no matter what I did there was no way I could fix the weight issues once and for all. So I gave into the process, and said yes to whatever I was asked to do. I found out I had full blown type 2 diabetes, along with a host of other Super morbidly obese problems. Everything was baby steps, from therapy both mental and physical, and I took each small victory in stride and continued to set new goals. I knew this time there was going to be no second chance and that I had to commit this time and not give in to temptations like I had so many times in the past. I worked with a dietician from the beginning and we got me structured so that I dropped roughly 2 pounds a week. I had to start exercising in the water because I could not support my weight on land. I spent the first 1 1/2 years in the pool and dropped 175 lbs. then I was fitted for braces for both knee's (have grade 3 osteoarthritis both knee's torn meniscus both knee's and torn ACL in my left knee) I am on 3 pain pills and get knee injections to by time to get through my weightloss then I will be getting knee replacements. This month marked a major milestone on my journey, I am now literally half the man I use to be... Current weight 277 lbs. Amount Lost: 283 lbs. So my point is you have to weigh out your options and what is best for you, Was my way easy, Heck No!!! I have alot of blood, sweat and tears in my journey and I am not done yet, but I finally got it.... I didn't go on a diet this time, I knew this was going to be a total lifestyle change and until you are able to admit to that you won't be successful either way you decide to go. Just make sure whatever you do it is your decision and you can live with it and then do what is best for you...... I wish you all the best on your journey.......
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    EdDavenport: Thanks for sharing... inspiring..

Re:surgery.. No surgery is 100% safe. I used to work at a hospital that did gastric bipass surgeries and I've seen it work great; and I've seen it not work well at all to the detriment of the patient (and at least one coworker/friend). Ed is right, you have to start with your head and the way you feel about food. Then decide on surgery. Your experience with surgery, and the results, may be different than every other person you ask. Either way, there is nothing wrong with continuing to work on losing for now; and orthoscopic is better than having to be cut open fully; though if there are any complications they do go in the old fashion way.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I had a lap band done in March 2010. No matter what surgery you have done or if you have no surgery.....it still takes committment, healthy eating and exercise to lose weight. If you are following a 1500 calorie diet, you can't eat high fat foods such as Fast Food, pies, cookies, cakes and candy ...keep under your 1500 calories and lose weight. That is what got us all in trouble in the first place. Surgery is not for everyone....it is not the easy way out like some people think. There are issues that you need to deal with such as vitamin deficiencies, dumping and hair loss. Everyone has to make their own decision. I wish you luck.

Pam
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    do your research ....

you have done great......

you keep doing what you are doing...I find the more weight you lose, the more your get motivated....

and for God sakes dont listen to people like kiminita and others who try to demotivate you...you dont need people like that in your life..

keep being positive...

(listen to Ed Davenport, he knows what he is talking about)

a friend for life
    Bill
  • GMPOTS
    GMPOTS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember is to get the best WLS doctor you find. So many new doctors are doing it now. I had my RNY 22 yrs ago in Florida and My main concern was experience . I had a few complications with mine, I developed hernia at incision line and after 12mos I had a ulcer. But I never regretted my decision. I had lots of negative people when i had mine, I trusted the doctor and guess what, the negative people ended up having the RNY surgery within 5 yrs.
    My family and friends saw my success and they also had the RNY, 10 of them. None had any complications. They are all successful except one of my friends, who never did follow what the doctor told her and regained her weight and more. If I had not had the surgery I am sure I would be 500 pounds by now. The most important thing is to get the weight off. The tool you are given is wonderful and lasts a lifetime. It is up to you to make it work. With all the pitfalls of surgery, No surgery is fun, at end of day the weight is gone. I still cannot eat a big mac that I use to eat 2.
    Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    Leighbie1987 is also in her twenties, and presumably much healthier to do something like this. I wonder what doctor approved such a young person when they clearly could have done it on their own, given how determined she seems (she's on MFP for one!).

Kiminita- You have no evidence of "clearly they could have done it on their own, given how determined she seems" You have no right to judge anyone's ability nor determination based upon their decision to utilize the surgery as tool, any more than someone has the right to judge you based upon your picture.

OP - I suggest talking with a couple different doctors/surgeons regarding the WLS, do your research online as well as with a variety of people who've had the different surgeries. There are pros and cons to all of them. For personal input from others who have had or are thinking about having WLS I recommend Blogger. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have, from my personal experience.

http://myquest4alife2love.blogspot.com/
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Having bariatric surgery is not an easy fix or an easy way out as some people think. I had my GB two years ago. I weighed 348 and now I weigh 227. Some days are beter than others. I have had a few side efffects due to the surgery but, in the end it saved my life. I was a severe diabetic on
    5 insulin shots a day and taking 2000mg of metformin. I was diagnosed in 2000 and if it weren't for WLS I would either be deceased due to an enlarged liver or on kidney dialysis with very severe complications as I had before my surgery. My AIC levels were 10.7 and now they are 5.5 which is perfect. I primarily drink protein drinks, very soft foods and vegetables that are soft like baby food mostly due to severe GERD. (Gastral Esophageal Reflux Disease) I take Nexium, Tums, Pepcid and Maalox but, it is
    controlled with avoiding spicy, caffeine and acidic foods. I have adjusted. For me, Gastric Bypass gave me an "entire new lease on life" and I am off
    not only all my diabetes meds but, high blood pressure, cholesterol and depression meds. WLS is a personal decision that is not a
    quick fix but, requires dedication and is only a tool. It is indeed a lifestyle change but, one that has drastically changed my life...for the
    better. Good luck to you and God bless. MFP is a wonderful support system for me as well as friends and family. :)
  • sarahwls100609
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Having bariatric surgery is not an easy fix or an easy way out as some people think. I had my GB two years ago. I weighed 348 and now I weigh 227. Some days are beter than others. I have had a few side efffects due to the surgery but, in the end it saved my life. I was a severe diabetic on
    5 insulin shots a day and taking 2000mg of metformin. I was diagnosed in 2000 and if it weren't for WLS I would either be deceased due to an enlarged liver or on kidney dialysis with very severe complications as I had before my surgery. My AIC levels were 10.7 and now they are 5.5 which is perfect. I primarily drink protein drinks, very soft foods and vegetables that are soft like baby food mostly due to severe GERD. (Gastral Esophageal Reflux Disease) I take Nexium, Tums, Pepcid and Maalox but, it is
    controlled with avoiding spicy, caffeine and acidic foods. I have adjusted. For me, Gastric Bypass gave me an "entire new lease on life" and I am off
    not only all my diabetes meds but, high blood pressure, cholesterol and depression meds. WLS is a personal decision that is not a
    quick fix but, requires dedication and is only a tool. It is indeed a lifestyle change but, one that has drastically changed my life...for the
    better. Good luck to you and God bless. MFP is a wonderful support system for me as well as friends and family. :)
  • sarahwls100609
    Options
    Having bariatric surgery is not an easy fix or an easy way out as some people think. I had my GB two years ago. I weighed 348 and now I weigh 227. Some days are beter than others. I have had a few side efffects due to the surgery but, in the end it saved my life. I was a severe diabetic on
  • Jywebs
    Options
    Thank you for this post I am currently in the process of thinking about having this surgery. I do not have any medical conditions besides being morbidly obese.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    Pray on it! Continue doing what you're doing and pray, it will come to you!:smile:
  • BriefTales
    BriefTales Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am post-op Gastric Bypass 20 days. Surgery was a success: however, I crashed about ten hours following recovery. My BP dropped to near 50/35, pulse HR up to 135. Immediately to ICU for 2 days. Spent 10 day in hospital recovering from collasped lungs and pneumonia. I still can't get full liquids down. My doctor has ordered an upper GI because he says I probably have a too narrow of opening and will need to have it 'ballooned". Since weigh-in prior to surgery, 8 weeks ago, I've lost 35 pounds.

I don't fee so good but my clothes are starting to fit and soon, I'll need to buy new clothes. I'm hopeful the stricture will end the problem of not being able to eat/drink and get protien.

My advise: don't have bariatric gastric bypass untill ALL else has failed. I realize I'm in the 'buyer's remorse' phase and hope it ends soon. My surgeon says I'll feel much better around 3 - 6 months. I'm hopful. Just know it is no picnic. It takes a lot of strength and support. Don't forget the people you'll rely on post surgery. They play such a major role.

Good luck!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I know some people who have had it done, and it has helped them, but they still have to make an effort. I assume since you've spoken to a doctor they've told you about how you won't be able to eat as much, can't eat certain foods, etc. It's a big choice, but I'm sure you'll make the right one.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your medical problems post surgery. I had a duodenal switch 4 months ago and am glad that I had the surgery. I have had some minor problems, but nothing significant. You'll get past these problems and be glad you had it, too. Good luck in your recovery.