I'm so tired all the time

Options
is this normal ?? Were you tired when you started here?? It's my first week, I lost 2 lbs this week but it's almost a chore to walk for 1/2 an hour. I feel like i could sleep all the time. I'm only walking 30 minutes about 4 days a week so it's not that. Is my body just getting use to not haveing all the sugar I ate before???

Replies

• Bunny001
    Options
    is this normal ?? Were you tired when you started here?? It's my first week, I lost 2 lbs this week but it's almost a chore to walk for 1/2 an hour. I feel like i could sleep all the time. I'm only walking 30 minutes about 4 days a week so it's not that. Is my body just getting use to not haveing all the sugar I ate before???
  • gregoryk
    Options
    You might try a b-complex in the morning. B is a good energy vitamin. I was relly hungry the first week but that has gone away
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all of your calories, including your exercise calories? Are you getting enough fiber, protein, carbs, and fat?
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay - it is probably normal to be a little sluggish. However, the thing about sugar giving you "energy" enough to keep you awake is actually a wives tale....something to tell kids so they will stay away from sugar. I know I am pointing out the obvious, but how much sleep have you been getting?

The first thing I would recommend is that you begin taking a multi-vitamin. Next, I would get to a doctor and have them run some tests. I hate to say this, but I felt that way when I got mono and that was when I was 36. Sluggish maybe - the type of tiredness you're describing - probably not.
  • llhenley
    llhenley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find that when I have too many straight carbs, like bread, pasta, sugar I am tired. If I stick to high protein, vegetables, dairy and drink lots of water I have alot more energy and of course 8 hours of sleep really helps. Good Luck! Lisa:smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started taking a vitamin ...it really has helped..Im with you on the carb bit...
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I felt like this when I first started out too. It was like my body was trying to catch up on all the sleep I was missing. When I hit week two I was feeling really good until I hit week 6 and now I don't know if I am losing too fast or exercising too much, but I am exhausted again. I do know when I drink my water and eat all of my calories and most of my exercise calories I feel much better. I also know I need to eat all of my protein calories.
  • NeilinOz
    Options
    interesting as i have just run into this too
    its week six of new diet and big exercise program and after feeling great for 5 weeks im suddenly, unaccountably, exhausted. Have backed off a bit of the exercise front to see if that helps ...

any ideas from others or resonance here ?
  • inigomontoya
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are not getting enough calories so your body maybe headed towards "starvation mode". What is your goal and how many calories are you eating a day?
  • bookworm140
    bookworm140 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    when you drastically change your diet, you affect all sorts of things in your body so tiredness is normal. however, if it keeps up after a few weeks, i would go see a doctor.
  • McLachfan
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here and I agree with most of them. Your body is going through a period of adjustment, no doubt. Vitamins are good. But I would also take a look at your iron consumption. The majority of people don't get enough iron in their diets which leads to fatigue. I only know this because was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia and have been dealing with exhaustion for years. Which I might suggest if you up your iron and your fatigue continues you may want to get a blood test to have it checked... it could be that you body is not absorbing the iron (which is what my issue is) and your doctor may have to put you on meds to correct this. Hang in there!
  • NeilinOz
    Options
    thanks all
    am eating around 1200-1300 cals per day
    my baseline is around 1500-160o and on exericise days add 600-800 cals
    too low ?
  • Bunny001
    Options
    My goal is 140 pounds, I weight 154 now. I changed my goal to 140 today and it changed my calories from about 1600 to 1400. I think I need to be back up to 1600.