what's "rule" do you have?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering something. I have a few "rules" for losing weight, becides the counting, measuring, weighing and whatnot. My no.1 rule for me is NOT EATING AFTER 7pm. that has helped in more ways then just losing wieght (that i havnt lost any yet, not sure why either) but i sleep better and my acid refux dont bother me as much. (that alone is good).
I have a few more but that is no. 1. was just wondering what rules to you have for yourself?

Replies

• _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Hrm. Honestly, I don't think I have any hard fast rules about what I can and can't eat. I have guidelines, but there's always an exception to everything so I guess I don't like to have hardfast rules. But that maybe why I've only lost 4 lbs :)
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    "Avoid food avoidance" ~ Alan Aragon
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    No complex carbs after 4pm
  • LeBlackstone
    Options
    No complex carbs after 4pm

Why?
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    Hmm... I definitely eat past 7:00 pm, since I stay up late and the evening is when I'm most active! I'm glad it's working for you though!

My only rule, per se, is that I pay attention to feeling satisfied as compared to feeling full.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to eat it just because it's free!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My only rules are that I really have to want something before I eat it and I try to stay close to my MFP calorie goal. So, I decide if that piece of cake is something I really, truly want. If it is, I eat it. Usually, I don't because I know I'll be happier in the long run eating a larger quantity of lower calorie foods. But I go with the flow and take it one day at a time.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My rule is to try to always eat a protein at each meal. It just seems to keep me satisfied through the day.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat carbs for dinner
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    my hard-fast rule would be half my weight in ounces of water daily.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    1)Moderation&portion size is key

2)Try to remember to log/write down everything i eat

3)Exercise 5 days a week, "rest" 2...

4)Allow myself one day off...in reason;)

5) Above all--I am a work in progress, so love the good and at least try not to focus on the trouble spots.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My rule is to try to always eat a protein at each meal. It just seems to keep me satisfied through the day.

Yes, this^
    Also, I no longer drink any kind of soda. I fell better and certainly sleep better without the caffeine in diet pepsi and diet coke : D
  • texastango
    Options
    Rule #1: Do not have junk food in the car on the way home available.

Rule #1a: If you have junk food in the car, do not OPEN IT until you get home (so you can close it).

Rule #2: IF you have junk food in the car, avoid traffic.

Healthy Alternative: Take a healthy snack pack to work or to the gym in a cooler. Example might be a sandwhich bag filled with strawberries, cherry tomatos, to hard boiled eggs (white only), grapes, blackberries, or blueberries (when in season). When you finish your work-out or work and are hungry you can eat that in the car on the way home and it serves several purposes. It makes you less hungry when you get home, keeps you from reaching for junk, and is a good source of calories and fiber. Your body will thank you later! My dance partner did this for me when we'd finish practice or social dancing. It worked great! Bless her for helping me along my journey!

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no soda unless it's diet. I know I can factor the calories in since I burn enough during workouts, but I have enough sugar with my coffee every morning so I try to stay away from sodas. and even if I do have a soda, I can't even finish it because I'm not used to drinking them anyway so that works haha.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    my hard-fast rule would be half my weight in ounces of water daily.

Oh my goodness. I would drown! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I don't eat after 8, drink soda, eat where I work (we serve unhealthy food), and I don't eat ice cream(Debating on whether to start eating it again).
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Oh, I also really try to stick to a lean protein, veggies/fruit, and healthy carb for every meal...
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My biggest "Rule" is to slow down when I eat. I used to finish a whole plate of food before I ever even tasted anything. So that is my rule. Slow down.
  • campbellfordgranny
    Options
    Hard and fast rules .... hmm, well I guess that everyone has something. I just started MFP, but I have decided that there are two ways to approach this whole weight loss journey; your either in weight loss or maintenance.

For my weight loss journey

Hard and Fast Rule 1 ... I seem to be very sensitive to carbohydrates, meaning if I eat anything that has a high carb count, I will put on weight ... sometimes it feels that I can put on weight just by looking at it, lol. So, I decided that I would limit my carbohydrate intake to a minimum, meaning for me anyway, no breads (of any kind), no rice (of any kind), no pastas (of any kind) ... when I reach my goal weight I will introduce these carbs back into my diet but very slowly and monitor my weight to ensure that I'm not gaining because I've reintroduced them.

Rule 2 ... I alway ensure that I get no less than 7 oz of protein per day and no more than that ... again after I get to my goal weight I intend to increase this to 8-10 oz of protein per day. 3.5 oz of protein (split breakfast and lunch), 3.5 oz of protein for supper, these proteins should be consumed 4 hours apart. I also ensure that I eat whole foods, meaning no processed foods, all fresh, lots of veggies, maximum of 2 fruits per day (no bananas).

Rule 3 ... I alway drink my minimum 8-12 glass - 8 oz glasses of water, very important to hydrate and helps flush out those nasty fat/toxin from the system.

Rule 4 ... I exercise everyday (I walk 3-4 km) that's my only exercise but it get you out and moving, I just bought one of the exercise balls, maybe I'll give that a try at some point, but for now ...

Rule 5 ... I don't eat back the MFP exercise calories because I feel it's counterproductive. I get as close to the 1200 as I can and don't worry if I'm a little short.

I'm sure that there are more for me ... but that's what I feel are my "Hard and Fast" rules. Now I'm sure that you're reading this and thinking OMG, but I still have that occassional cookie, cake or restaurant meal. I just account for it, enjoy it, and get back on track the next meal. You are your own "control board".

It's a process and a journey, but you have friends here that can help. Hope this helps ... I am going to add your rule, I like that one, it makes sense to me .... Thanks.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories.

One serve of fruit a day.

Eat for satiety - plenty of veggies, vegetarian protein, oats and other filling carbs.

I'll eat it if it fits my macros. So I can have a little fun each day.