LEMONY CREAMY BRUSSELS SPROUTS & CELERY

Options
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes
Serves 8

Well salted water to cover
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (frozen Brussels are decent but I wouldn't recommend for this)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon works too, but 2 is better when there's really a pound of sprouts and a near-pound of celery, thus 8 full servings)
4 ribs celery, trimmed and cut on diagonal 1/4 inch thick (reserve leaves for later)
1/4 teaspoon celery seed (or caraway or dill or perhaps nothing)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup skim or other milk (don't use fat-free half 'n' half, it creates a gooey mess)
Zest of a lemon (important, don't skip)
Juice of half a lemon
Pepper to taste

Bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, trim ends and remove tough outer leaves and any bruised leaves. With a paring knife, cut an X into the core (this helps heat reach the centers to speed cooking). Drop into boiling water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes (err on side of softness so that sauce can soak in).

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on MEDIUM until shimmery, stir in the celery and celery seed and cook until celery is beginning to soften. Stir in the flour, smashing any lumpy bits. Slowly (this means starting a tablespoon at a time to start ...) add the milk, stirring continuously. Cook until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the zest, lemon juice, pepper to taste, Brussels sprouts and reserved celery leaves.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 71 Cal (37% from Fat, 18% from Protein, 45% from Carb); 3 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 9 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb6; 83 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 57 mg Sodium; 8 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point

This is soo :bigsmile: good I forgot I didn't like brussels sprouts:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE
Adapted from Gourmet, November 1990

Replies

• mildrede40
    Options
    Hands-on time: 25 minutes
    Time to table: 25 minutes
    Serves 8

Well salted water to cover
    1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (frozen Brussels are decent but I wouldn't recommend for this)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon works too, but 2 is better when there's really a pound of sprouts and a near-pound of celery, thus 8 full servings)
    4 ribs celery, trimmed and cut on diagonal 1/4 inch thick (reserve leaves for later)
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed (or caraway or dill or perhaps nothing)
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 cup skim or other milk (don't use fat-free half 'n' half, it creates a gooey mess)
    Zest of a lemon (important, don't skip)
    Juice of half a lemon
    Pepper to taste

Bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, trim ends and remove tough outer leaves and any bruised leaves. With a paring knife, cut an X into the core (this helps heat reach the centers to speed cooking). Drop into boiling water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes (err on side of softness so that sauce can soak in).

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on MEDIUM until shimmery, stir in the celery and celery seed and cook until celery is beginning to soften. Stir in the flour, smashing any lumpy bits. Slowly (this means starting a tablespoon at a time to start ...) add the milk, stirring continuously. Cook until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the zest, lemon juice, pepper to taste, Brussels sprouts and reserved celery leaves.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
    Per Serving: 71 Cal (37% from Fat, 18% from Protein, 45% from Carb); 3 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 9 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb6; 83 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 57 mg Sodium; 8 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point

This is soo :bigsmile: good I forgot I didn't like brussels sprouts:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE
    Adapted from Gourmet, November 1990
  • zmonster
    zmonster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds really yummy, even if it is brussel sprouts! Going to try this weekend and will let you know...