Coffee Alternatives

Options
So I'm pretty sure one of the main causes of my killer death gas from hell (read: unrelenting agony in my stomach and back for up to 24 hours, vomiting, and surprisingly few expulsions of gas) is actually coffee. I used to drink a hell of a lot of coffee when I was younger, but apparently now I've developed some sort of intolerance to it. So, I was wondering what people might recommend as energising alternatives to coffee? I'd rather avoid energy drinks if possible. Oh, and being healthy would be a bonus.

Please don't include any hilarious 'lmgtfy' links. As much as they never fail to crack me up, I would rather get some actual people's opinions on things.

Replies

• noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Chai tea is a possibility. LOTS of flavor, exotic, etc. Any chance the gastrointestinal distress could be related to dairy? Either way, GOD I hope you feel better soon!!!
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    I also developed an intolerance to coffee as I got older. I switched to herbal teas. There are so many available now but my favorites are Chamomile and Sleepytime Extra which is really good in the evening to help you relax. There are also some seasonal ones available like gingerbread spice. They are very easy to make, just boil water - pour over the tea bag and let it sit for 5 minutes. I add a spoon of honey and enjoy.
  • Mindyw35
    Options
    Tazo green tea is great. There are claims that green tea helps metabolism-don't know if it's true, but I drink it because I like it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    teas of many different flavors are good, but also just drinking water and exercising taking vitamins will give you a good boost especially exercising in the morning if you're able
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Chai tea is a possibility. LOTS of flavor, exotic, etc. Any chance the gastrointestinal distress could be related to dairy? Either way, GOD I hope you feel better soon!!!

It's not dairy, I have milk in quite a few other things, and I eat cheese quite happily. I have been to the doctor about it, but he was pretty useless. I was given peppermint pills, which did seem to work, but it's obviously not a long term solution. Coffee is also not the only thing to set it off, but I've yet to be completely certain on what else causes it. Excessive amounts of fruit juice (like, a carton in one day) causes the same reaction, I think. Thanks for the concern, though!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am not, nor ever have been a coffee drinker - which I find unfair because it has no calories and Hot Chocolate has many! However, I know the alternatives out there are things like teas - regular and herbals, water, and those crystal light stuff if you want to stay on the healthy side. Chai also seems to be very very popular these days.
    Make sure it is the coffee and not the caffeine that is bothering you. There is lots of acid in coffee - you could try it with some food in your belly. Just be careful and feel better. Not easy to feel good when your belly hurts!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the amount of acid involved. Seriously - try making sure you have food in your stomach prior to drinking anything that is of high acid content
  • marie1996
    Options
    Teecino vanilla nut 'coffee" - comes in tea bags - made of barley etc a really nice coffee alternative - no caffeine. i found teecino at HEB - comes in french roast flavor as well

pero instant is also an alternative - found this at whole foods
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I buy coffee beans and grind them, that does the trick. I use Starbucks breakfast blend and others. Some cheaper brands of coffee will do that to you.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of tea. I like to make regular tea and spice it up with some extra herbal tea. I love it this way. I also love indian style tea where you heat the tea, spices water in milk all in a pot until ready and then strain into a cup with sugar. (I think this is what everyone calls chai but to me chai is just means tea)

Also I prefer loose leaf tea steeped in a pot rather than tidy little bags of lipton. I don't know the brand name but the one that has a picture of a horse on it is my favorite I get it from the Arabic stores.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Green Tea!
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the amount of acid involved. Seriously - try making sure you have food in your stomach prior to drinking anything that is of high acid content
    I buy coffee beans and grind them, that does the trick. I use Starbucks breakfast blend and others. Some cheaper brands of coffee will do that to you.

I got the same reaction from all kinds of coffee, from home made instant to ones bought at big coffee chains. I also had the same reaction at different times of the day - one of them being a small cup of coffee after lunch. Honestly, I'd rather just live without it, and preferably find an alternative. Thank you, though.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I'd suspect the acid, or even an additive or preservative that's used in common. I have problems with most acid fruit juices but not coffee. But... I have an odd food intolerence that shows up with chicken (usually heavily processed with breaded coatings), but it's the full blown 'OMG gums / throat is swelling' kind of thing.

That said, a really good chai tea. I love jasmine tea merchants 'chaz' chai' tea. Steep it in milk or coconut milk. Doesn't need sugar as far as I'm concerned - very aromatic and flavorful without it. Dark teas with coconut in it also seem to hit the aromatic button for me - important if I'm drinking it in lieu of coffee, since I looove the smell of coffee. Gypsy tea (?) makes a decent coconut chai tea (I just brew that with water, maybe put a splash of cream in it.)

I've never tried it, but you could also try chicory blend coffee or picking a low acid bean and trying cold brew. but it sounds like you're done with the experimenting. And if it's an additive they commonly use on beans, nothing will probably resolve it.

I feel for you. I could give up many things if I had to, but coffee... GOOD coffee... that would be a long, serious cry. And I'd have a bunch of useless coffee toys around the house. ;)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    killer death gas from hell (read: unrelenting agony in my stomach and back for up to 24 hours, vomiting, and surprisingly few expulsions of gas)
    That sounds exactly like a gallbladder attack. I don't know if coffee can trigger one, though.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Caffeine gives me a less, uhm, explosive?...but similar reaction. Not just coffee. But Elizabeth's response makes me worried for you, so get to a medical professional soon! Take care of yourself.