Seasoning for baked sweet potato chips?

Options
I would like to try to make sweet potato chips today but I'm not sure what to put on them. My first choice would be salt but I know I should only use a tiny bit of that. I'll probably also try garlic powder on a few of them. Is there a spice/seasoning that I could try without all of the sodium?

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    PAPRIKA! MMMMM
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Paprika seconded
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    cayenne pepper!
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness!
    Baked sweet potato is divine.

And I agree on the paprika, 'tis lovely! I find a bit of garlic can also go down a treat.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and a smidge of salt.
  • CoolBos
    CoolBos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This salt-free seasoning works for me; it is a bit on a sweeter side so I add a dash of white pepper to it.
    http://www.iherb.com/Frontier-Natural-Products-Pumpkin-Pie-Spice-Salt-Free-Blend-1-92-oz-54-g/35917?at=0&rcode=PEV216
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A little maple syrup & cayenne pepper! sweet & spicy!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    From the Biggest Loser Cookbook: Parmesan-pepper sweet potato fries

1/2lb sweet potatoes cut into 1/4" thick sticks
    1 tablespoon grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp paprika
    pinch of cayenne
    salt, to taste (I never use)
    pinch of ground black pepper

Preheat over to 450F
    In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes, cheese, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper.

Place the potatoes in a single layer ona medium nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Flip and bake for 10-12 minutes or until tender and browned inspots. Serve!

Makes 1 serving
    249 caloires, 49g carbs, 4g fat, 8mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 7g fibre
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i am absolutely addicted to sweet potato chips and eat them at least once a week!
    I tend to just sprinkle them with a bit of salt and serve them with different sauces.
    My favourites are low fat mayo with sweet chilli mixed in and usually also some dried rosemary mixed in (rosemary is also good sprinkled on the chips, but mixing it into the sauce gets it to stick better).
    Also i make a capsicum sauce for them which is just roasted capsicum, skinned and blended with a little white vinegar and olive oil. So yummy and very healthy!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Curry powder is delicious with sweet potatoes. I especially love making curry ketchup to eat on sweet potato fries.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like good old Mrs. Dash on my taters, sweet or white.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I usually go a little savory to counter the sweetness of the sweet potato (it's not just a clever name!)

2 parts - paprika
    1 part - sea salt (kosher is good too)
    1 part - cumin
    cayenne (adjust for heat level - start with just a pinch)

Lightly season as soon as they come out of the heat.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Curry powder is delicious with sweet potatoes. I especially love making curry ketchup to eat on sweet potato fries.

Curry ketchup sounds awesome.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potato chips in the microwave with my Pampered Chef chip maker. I prefer them savory, so I use chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to season mine...which is the same seasoning I use when making sweet potato fries in the oven. SO GOOD!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I would like to try to make sweet potato chips today but I'm not sure what to put on them. My first choice would be salt but I know I should only use a tiny bit of that. I'll probably also try garlic powder on a few of them. Is there a spice/seasoning that I could try without all of the sodium?
    Potassium Chloride?