Work Out Calories

Options
I know that this is a highly sensitive issue on MFP, but wanted to post to get some feedback. I've been working through a physician-supported weight loss program since May and use MFP for my food journal. My physician recommended NOT logging exercise because it messes with my calorie count. For the past six months, I have been doing a regular routine of cardio (mostly elliptical, bike, and water aerobics) as well as some strength training in the water. During this time, I never logged my work outs and still stayed within my daily calorie allotment per MFP. Yesterday, I had my first appointment with a personal trainer to get me set up with some land-based strength training and ended up feeling really hungry the rest of the day. Ultimately, I ended up the day about 50 calories over (I'm allowed 1710 for a 2# per week weight loss), but that is without logging my work out.

So, I have two questions ultimately:
1) Is it better to be slightly over my daily calorie count without logging the exercise knowing I burned off the additional calories anyway?
2) Any suggestions for how I can crave the hunger immediately after the work out so I don't feel like I'm hungry all day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Honestly if you're so convinced that what you're doing is the right way for you then you should consult the physician who told you not to eat the extra exercise calories.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    1. I'd say yes. 50 over is nothing to worry about because calories burned/caloric intake isn't exact anyway.
    2. I do protein shakes and peanut butter on rice cakes. Satisfying and yummy too!

Because you are doing physician assisted loss, I'd pose these questions to your MD as well.

Best wishes!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    This is why I see a sports physician.
  • lovinglife54
    Options
    Gosh you are doing great! Just keep managing your mind so it doesn't thwart your intention. Keep going. I hope to be as successful as you, sooner rather than later.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    50 cals isn't worth worrying about - as someone has already pointed out, everything you log is an estimate so there's a margin of error on your diary anyway.

I always crave carbs after a cardio workout: I plan ahead for this and usually have a small portion of wholewheat asta with tomato sauce and some cheese, or else a tuna melt.
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people saying logging your exercise calories messes with your calories. Your net daily total is your target at the end of the day whether just eating and no exercise or with eating and exercise. So my net for losing 2lb a week is 1200 so I can either eat 1200 cals or eat say 1500 cals and burn 300 cals through exercise so leaving me with my net of 1200.