good calorie versus bad calorie??

Hey everyone-
Does anyone know if there is a good calorie or a bad calorie? I mean, if I have 400 extra calories to eat for the day is it okay to have something normally bad for me, like a cheeseburger or cake or do I need to stick with the fruits, veggies and such?

Thanks!

Replies

• mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Hey everyone-
    Does anyone know if there is a good calorie or a bad calorie? I mean, if I have 400 extra calories to eat for the day is it okay to have something normally bad for me, like a cheeseburger or cake or do I need to stick with the fruits, veggies and such?

Thanks!
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    A calorie is a unit of heat. We need so many to fuel our bodies. Fat calories are worse than veggie calories if you need to watch your fat intake.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    A calorie is a calorie.

But, if you attach one to fibre and nutrients, it's probably better for your body. Also, empty calories will make you feel hungry. A 300 calorie salad takes me a lot farther than a 300 calorie bag of chips.

But hey, every once in a great while. . . have a cheeseburger if you really want it.:wink:
  • hollyt75
    hollyt75 Posts: 4 Member
    There are no "good" or "bad" calories, eat the food that you like in moderation and be aware of portion size.

If you really want to have a cheeseburger or a piece of cake, then you should have one. Be aware of hidden calories in the food like Ketchup or mayo on your burger, or icing on the cake... they might not seem like much, but they add up.