How many calories??

Options
How many calories do you have to burn a week to lose a pound??

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    3500. I think. Hopefully someone smarter than me will check my math. LOL
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    3500 more than you eat. 500 a day.

Theoretically. Never really works that way. You might lose 2 lbs one week, nothing the next...

And remember "burning" isn't just from exercise. Most of the calories you burn come from just living.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Yeah, it's 3500.

Oh yeah, 3500 more than you burn a week. Keep in mind that your normal everyday burn is including in this, you don't have to work out and burn 500+ calories a day. You can burn 200 while working out and have a normal BMR of 1500, which would make the total burn for the day 1700. Then if you eat 1200ish calories you'll have a deficit of 500. I know that might be silly to mention, but I wanted to just in case.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    3500. I think. Hopefully someone smarter than me will check my math. LOL

3,500 calories to burn one pound of fat.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Theoretically. Never really works that way. You might lose 2 lbs one week, nothing the next...

And remember "burning" isn't just from exercise. Most of the calories you burn come from just living.
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Ok, I was wondering. I have been working out 3-4 times a week hard and I couldnt reach that!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Ok, I was wondering. I have been working out 3-4 times a week hard and I couldnt reach that!
    That's why we eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what you do is figure out how many calories your burn to be alive and live your normal life. Then you subtract 500 calories from that. THEN if you exercise you get to eat those calories. MFP does this all for you.
  • cinnamon43
    Options
    so will you get more calories if you burn a lot during the day ?
    Kim
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    so will you get more calories if you burn a lot during the day ?
    Kim
    That's the idea.
  • cinnamon43
    Options
    thanks, i just dont want to burn to many calories and get head aches
    kim