Food Snob

Options
I don't know where I heard this but I once heard being a food snob is the key to not having to worry about dieting. Has anyone else on here tried this way on thinking? Lately I've had to use that theory when I'n offered goodies at work. If I don't find it absolutely delicious, I don't eat it.

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    But... To know it's not delicious, you have to taste it, right? ;-)

I wish I could be a food snob but I can't fool anyone, I love junk food!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. There are some people in my family that aren't really great cooks...it makes it easy for me to skip on seconds and family events at their house :P
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a food snob, but I'm also a classically trained chef I don't think you can correlate that with dieting, don't know where that saying came from. Snob needs context and while I may be trained eating what would be considered natural foods cooked a certain way, I don't think that would qualify for being a snob in other catergories of food preverences. for example I'm sure there's vegetarian snobs, fast food snobs etc......
  • thefifthvalue
    thefifthvalue Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can definitely find some truth in that. Easily cuts out most fast food right off the bat. Processed food tends to go too.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If i was a "food snob" as you describe it i'd never eat any fruit or veg, and it'll all be takeaways.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I heard this but I once heard being a food snob is the key to not having to worry about dieting. Has anyone else on here tried this way on thinking? Lately I've had to use that theory when I'n offered goodies at work. If I don't find it absolutely delicious, I don't eat it.

I've been using this method lately. For example, on Thanksgiving there is of course pumpkin pie. I don't really like pumpkin pie all that much, but everyone just expects you to eat it, don't they? But this year I came into the meal with a new mindset...why would I eat something that isn't worth it?

Now, before I eat something that's going to be high in calories and/or fat I ask myself whether the 500 calories are going to be worth it? Is the food really that good? If yes, then I eat it and I enjoy it. If not, then I just saved myself 500 calories :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am and always have been a total food snob. And yet I still managed to be bigger than I liked, mostly due to pregnancy and laziness. I only eat things I like, I never eat just because, or eat things that aren't worth the calories. I never eat junk food (only 70% cocoa chocolate truffles, never eat cheap or milk chocolate), never eat fast food, and never eat just because I am hungry if I don't like what's on offer. In fact, I am an incredibly fussy eater!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I can definitely find some truth in that. Easily cuts out most fast food right off the bat. Processed food tends to go too.

This is true for me too. I won't eat any sort of dessert or bread if I didn't make it. I won't eat processed foods or high fat foods because they make me sick. *sigh*
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think I need to be a food judge, instead---they take the tiniest bites of the contestants' cooking attempts and then tell them how good or bad it is.
    Note: I adore cheesecake and have figured out how many calories are in a tablespoon of one. Generally, 2 tablespoons = 1 oz. Most cheesecakes tell you how many oz are in each serving of the cheesecake and how many calories per serving. Divide the calories by 2 X the # oz and you have the calories for 1 tablespoon of cheesecake. And 1 oz usually = 30 grams (g), so a tablespoon = 15g.
    Have fun! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    At work, you can turn your temptations into evil powers! Buy the most delicious looking muffins or doughnuts and bring them into work. Leave them some place where people have to walk by all day...see how long it takes for them to be gone and figure out who's eating them :) Just don't eat them yourself.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    But... To know it's not delicious, you have to taste it, right? ;-)

I wish I could be a food snob but I can't fool anyone, I love junk food!

Being a food snob can mean eating junk food too. For example I love Oreos and freshly baked cookies so if I'm gonna eat a cookie it wont be a box of leftover from Thanksgiving Walmart cookies that a co-worker brought in.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    At work, you can turn your temptations into evil powers! Buy the most delicious looking muffins or doughnuts and bring them into work. Leave them some place where people have to walk by all day...see how long it takes for them to be gone and figure out who's eating them :) Just don't eat them yourself.

Lol, I like
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I consider myself quite a food snob sometimes, especially with meat, herbs, and veggies. It seems to work well for me. I'm careful about my choices now where I wasn't as much before.

Of course, my grocery bills are a lot higher now, but I consider that a fair trade for better health and better quality homemade meals.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a food snob. I always buy the best quality food I can, being veggie helps with the cost. I dont eat processed foods or fast foods and tend to cook from scratch most of the time.
    Hasn't stopped me from being WAY over weight.:blushing: