slow metabolism

Options
13»

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    About the high intensity interval training...

I did read in New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, that HIIT is not recommended for the obese and/or the new to intense exercise. Those types of people (which include me) would be better off doing mild cardio + lifting until they build up strength and improve fitness.

That advice makes sense to me... I personally would be concerned about my blood pressure/heart if I did interval training. I'd also be concerned about injury.

BUT I've heard it is totally the way to go once you've become a bit more fit.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I went and had a test done through a dietician..It's called an indirect calorimeter reading. You fast for 4 hours..in my case I went to bed and went right when I woke up. I breathed into a machine for 10 minutes and it calculated my BMR. So my BMR number was 1250 which the dietician then multiplied it and gave me a BMR of 1500.. However, I still can only create about a 300 calorie deficit with diet alone.

@ddiestler - I've had this test done and believed just like you that I had a slow metabolism according to my "dietitian" :noway: . After several years of believing this and finally getting fed up I ditched the dietitian and found a good personal trainer (one who specializes is sports medicine / rehab. I changed my eating habits to include foods that fuel my body, added strength training and have in the last year lost 76 lbs. I lose an average of 1-2 lbs a week depending on my calories in VS calories out. This is a normal healthy weight loss. I would suggest focusing on your diet / exercise more so than what your indirect calorimeter reading is.