How Many Steps It Takes a Day To Lose 1 Pound A Week!

Options
So I was thinking about getting a pedometer to count how many steps I take in a day. This then led me to the thought of how many steps does it take to lose 1 pound a week. This is what I have found out, which I thought it would be helpful for anyone.

In 1 pound it is 3500 calories
1 mile= 100 calories (walking or steps)
2000 steps= 1 mile

To lose 1 pound a week you would need:

35 miles walked or equal to steps a week minimum
Meaning; 70,000 steps a week
10,000 steps a day!

This does not mean runing jogging or anything of that nature this is just simple steps! I think this totally can be doable if I set my mind to it. I just might do a challenge of some sort for MFP? Opinion for the month of December? Any takers?!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's accurate for me. I burn 100 cals every 10 mins. It takes me 20 mins to walk a leisurely mile. So, 200 cals per mile, or 15 miles/week.
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

there's a few sites dedicated to the attempt of walking 10,000 steps a day. I tried to once, but didn't get any further than trying to buy a pedometer... Because i've had back problems my whole life, i compensate for my bad back by walking with my hips more than usual... so i can't use pedometers because my hips move too much :frown:

Good luck to you!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started again, and have had success with the pedometer. Sure doesnt lie about your activity level. I think I will dust it off and take it for a walk. What kind of challange id you have in mind. Who can get the most steps each day? Competition is healthy, or at least it burns calories.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    just run, people =)

Or walk/jog/bike until you are able to run.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    just run, people =)

Some of us *can't* run because of various knee/ankle/hip issues. Running puts a lot of stress on your body... thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to my low-impact elliptical and long leisurely walks with the dog and hubby on the local paths. The roads are all yours :)
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chunsagirl01
    chunsagirl01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    just run, people =)

Some of us *can't* run because of various knee/ankle/hip issues. Running puts a lot of stress on your body... thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to my low-impact elliptical and long leisurely walks with the dog and hubby on the local paths. The roads are all yours :)

This was my issue. I had a pinched nerve in my foot from blunt trauma to it. I could barely walk. Needless to say I have just barely getting better with a dang boot and all! Thats how I put on weight since I did not watch how much I was eating and not being active, thus leading me to this point where I am now!
  • chunsagirl01
    Options
    I don't think that's accurate for me. I burn 100 cals every 10 mins. It takes me 20 mins to walk a leisurely mile. So, 200 cals per mile, or 15 miles/week.

This is "average" each person it depends on speed of walking and etc.
  • chunsagirl01
    Options
    just run, people =)

Ha, before I messed up my foot I was super active. I would snowboard 2-3x a week plus workout 4x a week. So, for me its like baby steps all over again until I can build up my stamina again, sadly.
  • reneegaskins79
    Options
    every one fitness level is different....so obviously it will take less/more time to reach the same goal...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    So I was thinking about getting a pedometer to count how many steps I take in a day. This then led me to the thought of how many steps does it take to lose 1 pound a week. This is what I have found out, which I thought it would be helpful for anyone.

In 1 pound it is 3500 calories
    1 mile= 100 calories (walking or steps)
    2000 steps= 1 mile

To lose 1 pound a week you would need:

35 miles walked or equal to steps a week minimum
    Meaning; 70,000 steps a week
    10,000 steps a day!

This does not mean runing jogging or anything of that nature this is just simple steps! I think this totally can be doable if I set my mind to it. I just might do a challenge of some sort for MFP? Opinion for the month of December? Any takers?!

You can't apply simple math to an open organic system.

This is a pretty silly post IMO.
  • Schassay
    Schassay Posts: 1
    Options
    In 4 days I have over 50,000 steps. So doing 70k is
    Do able. Now keep it up every week is another thing.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like doing the math but @ 209 and using a fitbit I walk 10,000 steps a day and that works out to "about" 30 miles a week and I am losing a pound a week. I also eat ALL of my exercise calories back to get to my goal of 1925 net calories.
  • starbuckss
    Options
    I started this step challange I walk 43,000 a day for the last 54 days eating 1200 a day I have lost 40 lbs .I work at a daycare so I don't sit I just walk constant so it does work very well .No bread sugars under 8 grams stay under 38 grams .
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There's an important part of math that you all are neglecting.......how many calories would you burn normally doing nothing.
    Let me elaborate.

For those of you who are saying........"Hey, I walked 30 minutes and my pedometer says that I burned 250 calories..........yay, I earned that piece of cake". Let's pump the brakes before you get all excited about that 250 calories you burned. Your body will on average burn around 75 calories in 30 minutes...........while resting.

In other words, you didn't burn 250 calories, you burned 175 calories more than you would have had you done nothing at all.
    Best thing to do one day is to hook up a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter to see how many calories you'll burn just sitting and watching a half-hour comedy, and then go for a walk for the same amount of time.

Do the math, and that's how many calories you've actually burned.
  • msbobbitx
    msbobbitx Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit. They say to make 10,000 steps a day your goal. If I get those in every day I seem to lose (depending of I dont eat crappy).
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It has to be 10,000 steps above and beyond what you're normally walking. So your daily routine of walking around the house or at work or whatever wouldn't count - well they would count but not the full amount. If you're already walking 9000 a day, jumping it up to 10000 (100 extra per day) isn't enough to be enough to be a 1 lb/week difference.

Some people do use a pedometer to reach daily step goals for themselves.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There's an important part of math that you all are neglecting.......how many calories would you burn normally doing nothing.
    Let me elaborate.

For those of you who are saying........"Hey, I walked 30 minutes and my pedometer says that I burned 250 calories..........yay, I earned that piece of cake". Let's pump the brakes before you get all excited about that 250 calories you burned. Your body will on average burn around 75 calories in 30 minutes...........while resting.

In other words, you didn't burn 250 calories, you burned 175 calories more than you would have had you done nothing at all.
    Best thing to do one day is to hook up a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter to see how many calories you'll burn just sitting and watching a half-hour comedy, and then go for a walk for the same amount of time.

Do the math, and that's how many calories you've actually burned.

Yeah. If you want the net calories burned walking you're best to use real math like below:

(((s * 0.44704) * 0.1) + ((s * 0.44704) * 1.8) * f +3.5) * (w * 0.453592) * d * 0.021 = net Calories burned

Where:
    s = speed in miles per hours
    f = fractional grade
    w = weight in lbs
    d = distance in miles

Or you could use simple math to estimate...your choice.
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have a fitbit and try to get in my 10,000 steps. I pretty much use it just as a way to keep me moving through the day. It is kind of a small goal that I give myself everyday. It gives me about 125 extra calories a day according to mfp. I don't eat those back. I only eat half my regular exercise calories back anyways. So far it is working and I am losing about a pound a week.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Don't seem the point in counting steps (not doing any land navigation these days). I just walk about 2.3 miles at 4+ mph pace on most weekdays before lunch. Figure it's about half of my lunch.