Eliminating Everything White

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything inherently better about brown "stuff". In my case, cutting down on the white stuff did help, but just indirectly because removing them was helping to keep me in my cal deficit. I didn't replace them with equal amounts of the brown stuff either. Now, I do try to go for my 11 whole grain bread now, but just because it has more fiber in it which has become a new priority for me. But if someone likes the white stuff I don't think there's any reason to eliminate it! I do enjoy a nice wonder bread toast with melted mozzarella on top sometimes :) And there's nothing like dipping some white bread in the egg yolk in my easy eggs!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm asian, so I will do everyone a favor and put an end to this rice debate, since I know a thing or two about rice. I been eating it all my life so that makes me an expert you know.

If it ain't white, it ain't right! Thread/

Well, at least the rice debate is over.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Is yet to find a brown pudding rice...'nuff said

Maybe not in a prepackaged, processed form for sale in stores, but you can certainly make it yourself.

Nothing prepackaged or processed here - so if you have a good recipe...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I feel way healthier and better since I switched from milk chocolate to white chocolate :wink:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free cos of a mild wheat intolerance so avoid wheat based cereal, bread and pasta but use gluten free bread, I'm not too bothered about pasta, I always preferred curry & rice over pasta so that hasn't changed I just make my own so they have less calories!!

I switched wheat tortillas for corn tortillas which I used in place of naan bread which often had nuts/traces of nuts, but still eat Rice Krispies, rice cakes.

Milk is supposed to be really good for you.. calcium for bones ec? I can't see why someone would exclude it unless they were allergic to it?

I went low carb (as well as gluten free) to try kick start my metabolism in around august and it worked well for me at start but started re-introducing non-wheat based carbs slowly as I reach my goal weight so it doesn't just all pile back on again. At minute I have two treat meals a week one with potato and one curry/rice, i exercise on these days so I have the spare calories to cover the extra carbs, this seems to work for me as I'm still steadily losing weight and haven't hit a plateau yet.

p. s. I love the giant milky bars too! (and Lindt reindeer!) :laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating pasta, bread and rice IN MODERATION. The problem is, they are so easy, most people eat bread several times every day, which is excessive. I have switched to eating bread maybe once or twice a week and am much better off for it. I don't eat pasta at all any more as it makes me sick (no idea why), and I have rice about once a month.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ahem, I think you'll find, dark chocolate is better for you?
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Every diet that makes you cut out a whole food group is rubbish ^^ and again, not everyone copes well with wholemeal and co. I for one don't eat white bread, white rice and white pasta, because it gives me heartburn. I'd never cut out milk, cheese and yoghurt (white as well ^^)

And Ironsmasher, I do believe the statement in regards to white chocolate might have been slightly sarcastic :bigsmile:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Thanks for explaining sarcasm to me?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Is yet to find a brown pudding rice...'nuff said

Maybe not in a prepackaged, processed form for sale in stores, but you can certainly make it yourself.

Nothing prepackaged or processed here - so if you have a good recipe...

Doesn't unprocessed rice make you ill?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    But no, seriously, brown rice and wholegrain bread are much better for you and there's no compromise on taste!

But I think herein lies part of the problem: Why is brown rice better for you? How are you defining "better"? Does it have more of a certain nutrient?

3x the fiber in brown rice. One cup of brown rice has 25 fewer calories than one cup of white. Also brown rice has slightly more oil, hence the shorter shelf life of brown rice. Also brown has about 3x the magnesium as white. Oh and can I also add that when cooked properly the flavor far surpasses that of white rice.

Anyone who says that white rice is "better" for you is likely referring to "enriched" white rice. Meaning that it basically has had vitamins sprinkled on top When the Bran is stripped away so are the vitamins, so the vitamins are then added back in. When they add back in the vitamins the white rice has more folic acid. than is naturally occurring in the brown rice. Personally I'd rather get my vitamins naturally from the WHOLE grain rather than something that has been "fortified"
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was serious.. I love giant Milky Bars!!! :tongue:
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    love it lol
    I think it's racist.

But no, seriously, brown rice and wholegrain bread are much better for you and there's no compromise on taste!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have seen this as a "good" tip a lot on here. Usually meaning getting rid of everything white such as: white bread, white rice, white pasta and things like that. Some even suggesting getting rid of white milk - cows milk.

Do you do this? Do you agree with this?

I personally do not.
    I have seen a study saying that white rice is actually better then brown rice.
    And I care a lot about taste. I am not going to eat cardboard tasting food xD
    I can get all my micros from other foods and a good multi

thoughts?

i eat EVERYTHING, whatever colour it is... i just try to do it in moderation!!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like brown rice, but I love wheat/whole grain breads. I hardly ever eat rice in general anyway, the one time I had brown rice it tasted awful and I couldn't eat all of my dish.

There are so many people who take the enriched concept too drastically. Seriously, thats NOTHING compared to the additives in the rest of our foods! Unless you eat nothing but whole food/organic you aren't avoiding it all. Moderation is key in anything, you can limit but not eliminate chemicals and seriously I'd rather enjoy my food and get those nutrients in some way than freak about every little detail. ")
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've seen the study that found no nutritional difference between white and brown rice, but the main issue with white rice is the amount it gets processed. The nutritional value may be comparable but it's better to eat foods that are naturally full of vitamins and minerals instead of foods that are "enriched" with added vitamins and minerals. When the nutrition is in foods naturally your body can process and use it more efficiently.

the point was that the brown may contain anti nutritional factors such as phytic acid, which prevents the absorbtion of all those vits and minerals in brown rice. so it may actually be worse for you

Interesting. But is there conclusive evidence that shows that to be true?

well i do know the hull contains phytic acid and some other things, the extent to which those things have on the absorption of vits and minerals i don't think is conclusively proven to be x of this compound causes absorption of these minerals to decrease x just yet

There is debate about the phytic acid content of brown rice, but there are also studies that show soaking your rice can break down that phytic acid so that it doesn't hinder absorption of other nutrients. This kind of thing is true for a lot of foods, however. For example, spinach contains lots of calcium, but because of its oxalic acid content most of it won't be absorbed. The best bet seems to be to eat a healthy and varied diet of whole foods vs processed foods in order to get all the nutrients your body needs. (And in response to some posts about taste - I think taste buds change drastically after cutting out processed foods, so that whole foods are more flavorful and processed foods become too sweet/overpowering. I never liked white bread, even as a kid and I love Ezekiel bread. I think our taste buds are trained one way or another.)
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I prefer white rice to brown rice, hands down. I eat it in moderation so I'm not concerned about the POSSIBLE pros of brown vs white.

It was well said about the potatoes. However, white potatoes can spike your blood sugar more than sweet potatoes. Don't look at me for an article, this is from personal experience.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    3x the fiber in brown rice. One cup of brown rice has 25 fewer calories than one cup of white. Also brown rice has slightly more oil, hence the shorter shelf life of brown rice. Also brown has about 3x the magnesium as white.

This only matters if your diet consists almost entirely of rice.
    Anyone who says that white rice is "better" for you is likely referring to "enriched" white rice. Meaning that it basically has had vitamins sprinkled on top When the Bran is stripped away so are the vitamins, so the vitamins are then added back in. When they add back in the vitamins the white rice has more folic acid. than is naturally occurring in the brown rice. Personally I'd rather get my vitamins naturally from the WHOLE grain rather than something that has been "fortified"

Didn't bother reading the content of the posts, I see.

I'll put it back up for those that didn't bother to read it the first time (courtesy or ACJ67):

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice
    Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets
    J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

It was well said about the potatoes. However, white potatoes can spike your blood sugar more than sweet potatoes. Don't look at me for an article, this is from personal experience.

Two questions:

How did you measure this alleged spike?

Why do you think that spiking your blood sugar is bad?
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Brown rice may be better, but steamed white rice, in the correct portions, is not bad for you! And though I force myself to eat brown rice, I really like steamed white so much better. Plus there are many different varieties of rice, so experiment with the differnet kinds. Jasmine rice is delicious!