Protein Overload??!!!???

Options
Hello everyone!
Ok well everyday I am over on my protein.
Will this hinder my weight loss?
anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have advise?

Replies

• RunningMyPace
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Ok well everyday I am over on my protein.
    Will this hinder my weight loss?
    anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have advise?
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I went over all the time and it didn't affect my weight loss:happy:
  • Rosette
    Rosette Posts: 34
    Options
    Actually i have the same problem.. I am also very high on protein.. and I also need an advice
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I am high on the protein as well but not worried about it. If it was the only food group I was eating then yes it would be cause for concern but if you are eating all food groups/balancing your diet then I say no worries :wink:

dd
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    So funny....I was just about to post the same thing! It feels like I'm always low on calories and carbs and fats, but high on protein. I'm not sure how it effects weight loss, I've just been trying to cut down on protein portions so that I can stay close to my limit. It's hard though, it seems that everything I eat has protein in it!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    What balance of carbs, fat, and protein are you using? I go by the 40-30-30 method and I'm ALWAYS under. It's hard for me to eat that much protein and few carbs. I've been told by my trainer to try to stay in those proportions in order to lose weight when exercising. I say, keep going over!
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    protein is good for muscle... so do some weightlifting to build muscle. Muscle eats fat and raises the metabolism.
    When pregnant woman eat protein, I noticed that they don't have morning sickness as bad.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This is a common question up in here. I'm not a doctor, but. . . both my trainer and my naturopath agree that this formula is good if you're working out.

Your goal weight (not your current weight) divided by two=a healthy grams of protein for the day. This brings me to just over 25% of my intake.

Just my two cents.
  • erkuhns79
    Options
    Too much protein can cause kidney strain and constipation. I asked a doctor here at work and she said that this strain usually only occurs at when you have excessive amounts of protein. I told her that I usually get between 45-60 grams and she said that's a fine amount to get. But too much more then that and I should think about cutting back.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The protein recommendation by the food pyramid is a bit low, just like the carbs are a bit high. If you are performing exercise, especially resistance training, protein should comprise anywhere from 25-50% of your diet. 50% is very high for those who engage in regular training, so you don't have to shoot for that. 25-30% would be more suitable for your goals. Protein is used in muscle repair and growth; since no other nutrient can do that, it's important not to skimp on it.
  • RunningMyPace
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Good advise and I think I can get it down a bit.
    I don't go way over just about 10g so cutting it a bit would be easy ..i hope.
    I am prone to kidney stones and those issues so interesting info erkuhns79.
    Thanks again