Feeling SOOOO hopeless...

Options
I only want to lose between 10-20 pounds and I know this is when food is crucial and the food is kind of what makes or breaks weight loss. I workout enough. Well, used to then boyfriend's mom passed away and i didn't workout for a week or so so now I'm trying to get back to being consistent (before I was doing Insanity 2-3/.wk, yoga 2/wk, abs 3/wk).

Big thing that makes this feel hopeless...I can't really afford food right now. And all I have at home is lots of white pasta and rice mainly (my boyfriend's mom was always giving him food stuff so we have enough white pasta and rice to last at least a year, no joke) so of course that's what I eat most of the time. And we have TONS of potatoes (my boyfriend planted some this past year). I do get sausage and some pork roasts from my dad's farm (usually have lots of ground beef but he needs to get more made) and I do get eggs for free from my friends who work at chicken barns... and I mean I seriously don't have money to do ANY grocery shopping right now. Especially with Christmas coming up. I'm desperately looking for a job but in a town of less than 2000 people it's kind of hard.

So I'm just basically feeling like it's majorly hopeless because I can't eat very healthy...pretty much never have vegetables (I do have a few bags of frozen vegetables that I try to use) and I barely ever have fruit. I'm seriously eating rice or potatoes or pasta 97% of the time when i do eat.

Right now I'm desperate for a job....Yeah...and that isn't helping. I'm getting super stressed...I try not to think about it but sometimes I get so stressed about needing a job that I just want to cry and I get all depressed and don't want to do anything so then trying to workout is hard too.

So yeah...this is basically a rant. I applaud you if you read it all. :)

Replies

• elizwelshman
    Options
    Do the best that you can and don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Do the best that you can and don't give up. :flowerforyou:

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's dad, that must be hard... (((hugs)))
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What's your boyfriend contributing?
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are having such a hard time and for your loss. I hope that you will find a job soon so you can get some other foods you might like.

One thing I cook when I don't have too much things at home is something typical German. It is called Bratkartoffeln, I just make it without the oil. Since you have eggs and potatoes I think that will work great for you.

I cook the potatoes, then after that peel them, cut them in small slices and put them in a pan (I don't use butter or oil, but I know most likely everybody else does) Then I wait until they get crispy and put onions (if you somehow manage to get some) to it, wait for a little bit and then I add eggs - I think you call them scramble eggs. It is a non expensive meal and tastes good, and potatoes are not high on calories either, they are better than pasta.

I have some other meals you can make with potatoes and I can give them to you if that would help at all. Do you have some herbs at home? Potatoes work better for me to lose weight than any kind of noodles.

I hope that you will be able to buy some fruits and vegetables soon again. I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The only alternative I can think off is that if you buy veg in tins and fruit in tins, that counts ad some as well, just check what it's in there. And I agree with richard - what is your boyfriend contribuiting?
    In regards to jobs, is there maybe something that you can do in the running up to christmas? Some shops need assistants and stuff, because more people do go in their shopping. And do you maybe have something like Food stamps? I know that we have a couple of projects that would collect food from restaurants and shops (food they normally throw, because it's passed the use by date or is very near - but it's mainly stuff that is far from going off) ? Maybe do a bit of research?
    Other then that, chin up and I keep my fingers crossed - things hopefully will look up soon

Alsom in all fairness, if you do not have the money to fed yourself, christmas isn't your priority. Friends and family will understand that there are no pressies if there is no money!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Kaytee, Sorry that you are feeling low at the moment. And very sorry for you boyfriend losing his mother. No one would blame you for being distracted at this time. Don't be too hard on yourself for concentrating on the grief process. That would naturally take up a lot of your energy. And it isn't something that can be avoided, nor should you try. That being said, getting back to a fitness routine will take some effort, but your food options at the moment will take some doing. Try not to think of potatoes as "bad" food. It's what gets done to them that does harm to their nutrient content. :sad: The white rice and pasta aren't the best choices but not the worst either. (doughnuts would fit that description! :explode: ) It seems you live a rural area, so perhaps there is a local supply of fresh vegetables that you can tap into. A thought for next season (or as soon as you can save enough): how about setting up your own little greenhouse? Lettuce and spinach is pretty easy to grow, and tending to the garden is more exercise, too. Maybe converting some of the potato patch to broccoli or tomatoes will be a good goal for next summer.

It might be a thought to aim for maintaining your current level for a time, until your circumstances are more favorable for losing weight. There is no weakness in maintaining. In fact, some have said that it is actually harder than losing. That kind of strength is well worth building while you wait for the situation to change. Let us know how you are faring as time goes by. We want you to succeed. Be happy. :flowerforyou:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    What's your boyfriend contributing?

He pays all the bills right now and even at that he can't afford to pay the bills in full. When I still had money I contributed a couple hundred to help pay bills each month...our arrangement is pretty much he pays all the bills and I buy groceries and other things that we need for the house.

As far as garden I actually really want to plant a garden next summer. I HATE gardening (I remember all those days being forced to pull weeds when I was a child haha) but I LOVE what comes out of it so I really want to try planting some next year.

Tomorrow I plan on going to put out more resumes again...I did put one in at the hospital (would've be GREAT, awesome pay, and hospital is literally RIGHT across the street) but I called a few days later to talk to the guy in charge of hiring and he's on vacation for a few weeks and won't be back until a week or so into December. :( I was so disappointed. But I'm going to put one in at the grocery store again, bakery and gas station.

As far as Christmas gifts for most people won't be too hard (grandparents and parents are getting a little baking so that will be fairly cheap, I don't think I have to even go shopping for ingredients) but the main reason I want to get stuff is because for my family (on mom and dad's side) we do big gift exchanges where we all put in a gift and get one out and so if I can find something cheap (but useful) to add then I get to go home with something that's useful and that I need for the kitchen. I WISH I could do lots of baking to take for Christmas because I LOVE to bake but I can't afford that this year for sure...
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Keep up the exercise and consider dumpster diving for veg (and plant some spinach, that stuff grows like wild fire). You can do this :-)