Forgiveness

Options

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    boy, do I ever this week need to practice forgiveness. Will this wk ever end???!! Seems like the most difficult in my life, parts of it anyways. Forgive. Tks Fitness Chick for reminder and insight shared. :happy:
    :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Forgiveness is a hard thing to do, but it is needed to move on with ones life. It is also a daily process in some cases. It is also a harder road to walk down than one of resentment and anger.
    Very insightful and beautifully put:happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    No way I can forgive you for this stupid thread.

:bigsmile:
    :tongue: :sad: :bigsmile: :laugh: But Max, you HAVE to forgive me...for the sake of our puppy:tongue:
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I read a great quote on forgiveness just the other day:

"Resentment is like taking poison and hoping your enemy will die."
    (Nelson Mandela)

(Takes a minute... think about it...so true!!!)

I absolutely love this quote!!! Very true, and applies to just about any situation.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Is there ANYTHING that CAN'T be forgiven?
    I think sometimes I find I mix up the two.. forgiving vs. forgetting. The forgiveness is for us so we can move on in life and not get stuck... there are somethings that just can't be forgotten nor should be...

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I had just the other day listened to someone speak about 'Forgiveness' and how it sets us free...not forgiving keeps us imprisoned within our own selves and keeps us stuck at the point the situation happened, and if we are not yet in control after all this time...forgiveness helps move us past that into the present day...into freedom.:flowerforyou:

"Let's get one thing straight: Forgiving is not something you do for someone else. It is not even something you do because you SHOULD, according to the standards of religious belief or human decency. Forgiving is something that you do for yourself. It is one way of becoming the person you were created to be--and fulfilling God's dream of you is the only way to true wholeness and happiness. You NEED to forgive so that you can move forward with life. An unforgiven injury binds you to a time and place someone else has chosen; it holds you trapped in a past moment and in old feelings."

Carol Luebering - Finding A Way To Forgive (article, CareNotes)
    So true so true. Thank you for posting this
    :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    No way I can forgive you for this stupid thread.

:bigsmile:

I can't forgive you for not forgiving her for this feel good thread.
    Nor can I forgive you for calling it stupid.

:mad:
    Oh no! :brokenheart:

Never mind. Forgiven! :heart:
    :smooched: ROFL Nicky my Girl:bigsmile: :wink: you crack me up!!
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

I think that forgiveness is often confused with excusing someone else's bad behaviour. That becomes a stumbling block.

Forgiveness is more about releasing your anger at someone instead of letting it steer the way you deal with every other human being from that moment on. (I was hurt once doing this, I will never do this again...)

I believe that grief is the most under-rated emotion in our north american culture. Grief is the natural reaction to any real or percieved loss. (Loss of a parent, loss of a dream, loss of innocence...) We tend to stuff it down, because we don't want to deal with it.

The hardest thing about grief is that it is an emotion that has to be walked through, like dirty water, without seeing clearly where you are going, and it is unpleasant. But it takes us forward when every other way takes us back.

We need to hear ourselves, out loud, saying, "What was done to me was wrong!"

Then we need to have someone who we trust, and who genuinely loves us say back, "Yes. It was wrong. It is tragic. I feel your pain, but hang on, it will get better. There is hope."

Hope feeds our soul and pulls us through grief, so that anger loses it's hold on us, and we become whole.

- The bone is strongest where it has been broken and healed.
    - Life makes you either bitter or better
    - Life makes hard what is soft in us, and softens what is hard in us

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Sunflower8926, I really love what you wrote above. Nicely writ with abundant insight. Thank you. :flowerforyou: :heart: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

I think that forgiveness is often confused with excusing someone else's bad behaviour. That becomes a stumbling block.

Forgiveness is more about releasing your anger at someone instead of letting it steer the way you deal with every other human being from that moment on. (I was hurt once doing this, I will never do this again...)

I believe that grief is the most under-rated emotion in our north american culture. Grief is the natural reaction to any real or percieved loss. (Loss of a parent, loss of a dream, loss of innocence...) We tend to stuff it down, because we don't want to deal with it.

The hardest thing about grief is that it is an emotion that has to be walked through, like dirty water, without seeing clearly where you are going, and it is unpleasant. But it takes us forward when every other way takes us back.

We need to hear ourselves, out loud, saying, "What was done to me was wrong!"

Then we need to have someone who we trust, and who genuinely loves us say back, "Yes. It was wrong. It is tragic. I feel your pain, but hang on, it will get better. There is hope."

Hope feeds our soul and pulls us through grief, so that anger loses it's hold on us, and we become whole.

- The bone is strongest where it has been broken and healed.
    - Life makes you either bitter or better
    - Life makes hard what is soft in us, and softens what is hard in us

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Put so lovely:flowerforyou:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I also need this quote this week. I have someone that I guess I should forgive for doing a lot of crap to me on purpose to hurt me and my family. Over and over and over again. I guess I should forgive her but I will never forget anything she has done and I will never trust her again. But I know I can forgive!!
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    I also need this quote this week. I have someone that I guess I should forgive for doing a lot of crap to me on purpose to hurt me and my family. Over and over and over again. I guess I should forgive her but I will never forget anything she has done and I will never trust her again. But I know I can forgive!!

if that doesnt work I have a cousin Guito, he takes care of problems like this...

him and his violin case :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

if that doesnt work I have a cousin Guito, he takes care of problems like this...

Hey now how come everyone's cousins name is Guedo?:laugh: I'll keep that in mind, might come in handy one day:tongue:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options

Hey now how come everyone's cousins name is Guedo?:laugh: I'll keep that in mind, might come in handy one day:tongue:

he could be Vinny if you want... really it doesnt matter, he makes problems go away
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

he could be Vinny if you want... really it doesnt matter, he makes problems go away
    hmm...I'll PM the details...:wink::tongue: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    thought this was a pretty good quote.....

"Conscience is the most sacred of all property."

-- James Madison
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Oh just came across some very cool and powerful quotes on this very topic!

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.—Unknown

He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass.--George Herbert

Resentment is like a glass of poison that a man drinks; then he sits down and waits for his enemy to die.—Unknown

Many people are afraid to forgive because they feel they must remember the wrong or they will not learn from it. The opposite is true. Through forgiveness, the wrong is released from its emotional stranglehold on us so that we can learn from it. Through the power and intelligence of the heart, the release of forgiveness brings expanded intelligence to work with the situation more effectively. -- David McArthur & Bruce McArthur

Forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, and the waste of spirit. --Hannah More

You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well. --Lewis B. Smedes

Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge, and dares forgive an injury. --E. H. Chapin

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.-- Josh Billings OH!! Nice one!:bigsmile:

Forgiveness is choosing to love. It is the first skill of self-giving love. --Mahatma Gandhi

Well seems I'm in a quote mood so I might leave it at this, do lunch then find some more quotes for my quote thread:flowerforyou: :laugh:

See what you do to me Sunflower! You get me thinking deep:wink::heart: :flowerforyou:

• sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well seems I'm in a quote mood so I might leave it at this, do lunch then find some more quotes for my quote thread:flowerforyou: :laugh:

See what you do to me Sunflower! You get me thinking deep:wink::heart: :flowerforyou:

:heart: :blushing: Love the quotes! Keep 'em coming!:smile::heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

:heart: :blushing: Love the quotes! Keep 'em coming!:smile::heart:
    :heart: :wink: