Good Running Shoes

Options
I am in need of a great pair of shoes for someone that who tends to walk on the outsides of the feet. I am leaning towards a pair of brooks. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you go and get fitted for a pair of shoes. That is what I did. You don't have to buy the shoes at the store (they end to be more expensive) but you would know what you should be looking to buy. And you can buy online. It's so much cheaper.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    go to a true running store for a fitting (for me it is marathon sports). there are shoes for all kinds of feet and at a running store they are trained to help you find the right one. If your budget is tight don't buy it at that time as they will only have the latest and greatest colors and styles. instead go home and search for it online. you should easily find it cheaper from the previous year.
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    My suggestion is that you go and get fitted for a pair of shoes. That is what I did. You don't have to buy the shoes at the store (they end to be more expensive) but you would know what you should be looking to buy. And you can buy online. It's so much cheaper.

I have been a runner for quite a long time and getting fitted for a proper pair of shoes is the first step to avoid running injuries. Brooks have great shoes. I had a few pairs in the past and my current pair are Brooks. Some years my feet "prefer" another model depending on the make. Good luck!
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have a Running Room store close to where you are but if you do check it out, they have the shoes color coded for specific needs. Personally I always buy a quality pair of Asics :)

Good luck!
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    go to a true running store for a fitting (for me it is marathon sports). there are shoes for all kinds of feet and at a running store they are trained to help you find the right one. If your budget is tight don't buy it at that time as they will only have the latest and greatest colors and styles. instead go home and search for it online. you should easily find it cheaper from the previous year.

Buying online is what I do often. But, be aware that buying last year's model will not exactly be the same shoe. Companies change their shoes all the time. Exemple: Going from a Brooks Glycerin 7 to a Brooks Glycerin 8 will be different shoe (because they are trying different technologies or trying to improve the shoe) and might fit your feet a little differently and this might change your gait.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with the above posters about getting fit at a reputable running store, I disagree with not buying from the store you go to. Two reasons for this... one, if you use the service, it's really rude NOT to buy from them! Seriously, saving a buck or two is not always what it's all about. Two, the shoes I was fit with at my awesome local store were the exact same price online! I purchased mine, was promised that if I used them for a couple of weeks and wasn't 100% satisfied I could come back and exchange them (a promise I doubt you'd find online), and when I went online to compare prices, they were the exact same price! I was going to buy a second pair online, but ended up going back a few months later to my local store, purchasing a second pair, and she gave me a discount because now I'm a "regular" customer! Seriously, there's a lot to be said about making these kinds of purchases from a local business. The best one in my town happens to be locally owned, and supporting small business is so important. Plus, you cannot beat the customer service when you walk back in to the same store, three months later, and they remember your name!!!!!

Ok, rant over, just get fit for your shoes by a pro. What fits my foot is NOT the same as what may fit your foot!
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I personally like the Sketchers Shape Ups. There is supposedly one done by Rebok too but they were sued or something for making false claims and having no actual data to back it up. Anyway, I'm normally a high-heels kind of girl. My feet are very uncomfortable in "normal" shoes, but one can't really go jogging or exercising in high-heels. So I found these really great. They were a bit akward at the beginning, but I love them. They don't give that tightness that a lot of shoes give around your feet, or that aching feeling at the end of the day like you were slamming your foot against the hard pavement. But that's just my favorite of the buy-now types. I agree, though, with the previous statements about getting fitted, especially if you do a lot of outdoor running. It also depends on the type of running you do - on a track, on the hard road, on squishy grass...The one thing I'd not suggest is online unless you're getting the exact same pair of shoes you already have. This is because even if you find them in your size and your need, you can't KNOW that they'll just fit you right. A pair of shoes (and jeans for that fact) are just things you need to try on first before your buy. Your feet are worth the few extra bucks!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I agree to go to a store. But don't buy the shoes from them, if you can help it. They are very persuasive.

On the other hand, I did get fitted at a running store with a gait analysis and ended up buying a pair of Brooks from them. They were horrible for me. They said I was Supronation (misspelling), this is the opposite of pronation. However, the brooks pari was horrible for my feet. My feet were flopping all over they place and I could not run at a high speed, however I had no knee pain. I returned the shoes.

So I went back to New Balance (the only shoes I've ever had), they diagnosed my feet with the Supronation (miss spelling). I listened to them again. I bought a pair of shoes from them. Again, my feet were floping all over the place, however I had no knee pain. I returned those shoes too!

I'm going back to what works for my feet. Not what some salesman tells me. I'm comfortable with the Pronation shoes with just a very slight knee pain. But I think it is more soreness, rather than actual pain. I just want to run comfortably... no feet flopping all over the place.

My point is this, they are not always right and DO NOT be afraid to take the shoes back within the 30 days. It's your right! They allow it, take advantage of it!! :)
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    While I totally agree with the above posters about getting fit at a reputable running store, I disagree with not buying from the store you go to. Two reasons for this... one, if you use the service, it's really rude NOT to buy from them! Seriously, saving a buck or two is not always what it's all about. Two, the shoes I was fit with at my awesome local store were the exact same price online! I purchased mine, was promised that if I used them for a couple of weeks and wasn't 100% satisfied I could come back and exchange them (a promise I doubt you'd find online), and when I went online to compare prices, they were the exact same price! I was going to buy a second pair online, but ended up going back a few months later to my local store, purchasing a second pair, and she gave me a discount because now I'm a "regular" customer! Seriously, there's a lot to be said about making these kinds of purchases from a local business. The best one in my town happens to be locally owned, and supporting small business is so important. Plus, you cannot beat the customer service when you walk back in to the same store, three months later, and they remember your name!!!!!

Ok, rant over, just get fit for your shoes by a pro. What fits my foot is NOT the same as what may fit your foot!

Ditto this! I got fitted by a very pro locally owned store, they were very helpful and really took the time with me and gave me honest tips instead of pushing me to buy more (I asked what they thought about my HRM vs. some of the nicer models in the store and they said to stick with mine for now unless I'll use the advanced features often). I googled the shoes I bought, and as it turns out I could have saved a bundle on them online BUT I got really good advice and I am glad I supported the store.
  • loserMC
    loserMC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go to the Athlete's Foot in MHC, or come to ILM and hit the Try Sports at Mayfaire or Omega Sports near the mall. All of them will fit you in shoes that are RIGHT for your foot. I would buy the first time from the store that helps you out but then you can seek better options for cost. My favorite places to order from are holabirdsports and runningwarehouse.

I'm an Asics girl. I went to Brooks after G was born but came back. Every foot/runner is different.
  • skybaby6
    Options
    my feet have become a "hot mess!" since i've gotten back into running (it's been about 5 years), so i now have custom orthotics and they still don't seem to help completely- i have plantar faciitis in my right foot and my right knee has been getting very tight at about 2 miles- i went to a different foot doctor and he gave me exercises to do and told me that i HAD to get better running shoes!!! he told me to go to Second Sole and they would help me find the best shoe for me-- i think he was right, because so far...they feel pretty good! i paid a little more for them than i usually do for shoes, but if they work i don't mind. good luck! i hope u find a pair that helps u too! if u have a Second Sole where u live, i would highly recommend them =)