How long do you workout for?

Options
I am almost to my half way point and am being rewarded w a gym membership. I let my old one expire, because I was pregnant and was banned from exercising. I use to spend 60-90minutes in the gym 5x/week. How long do you spend in the gym? or how long is your workout?

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 year old and a 4 month old and I work out at home, so depending on what they "let" me do I try not to do less then 40 minutes (I'll double up if I have to) and I'll go up to 100 minutes if the baby falls asleep lol
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting sessions are about 2.5 hours, while cardio ranges (dependent upon classes) from 30 minutes to 3 hours. :D Some days I can get block sessions of cardio (TurboKick, Pilates then Zumba) and take them all to kick my own butt. Typically I would say the "Average" session is almost 2 hours.
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    no less then 30 mins and the most I've done is 90 mins.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I like to vary the length of my workouts. Most days (when I'm well, lol) I do 30DS which takes about 25 mins. Twice a week I do karate which is very intense for about an hour. When I run it's usually anywhere from 15 - 40 mins (sometimes with a bit of walking in the middle). Occasionally I will do a longer DVD like "No More Trouble Zones". Do what works for you but I think it helps to mix it up a bit :happy:

There have been recent studies that show that a short intense workout is just as good as a longer one for burning fat. However longer sessions have their place too, especially for fitness and building stamina. Just be aware that working at moderate/high intensity for too long in one session every day can put your body into stress (if you are not used to it) which can increase your cortisol levels and inhibit weight loss. But as long as you have easier days in between there is no problem with longer workouts. Do what works for you
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Well when my schedule allows I go to group exercise classes, most of which are an hour. Some days I do two classes in a row. Twice a week I work out with a trainer for an hour each time. However I have been reading a lot of stuff on paleo blogs that discusses the draw backs to long steady state cardio. Even if you only have 20-30 minutes to do some intervals, you may be better off than doing 60 minutes of the same thing at the same pace.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    +- 45 minutes
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I squeeze in 40 in the morning half treadmill/ half workout. Sometimes if it's been a slow day at work I'll do some more afteward. Don't have time to do the gym thing. Wish I did
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I try to do a minimum of 60 minutes of cardio a day, plus some strength and conditioning work. :)
  • dropofhope
    Options
    If I'm feeling really lazy i do a minimum of 30 minutes either a walk in my neighborhood or a biggest loser DVD. The max is 2 hours, usually back to back classes at the gym. I try to stick to 5 days a week...
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    I range from 1-2 hours, depending on what I'm doing that day.
  • mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    I try to do 90 mins if cardio then 30 mins of circuit training.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    I try not to spend more than an hour. If your trying to lose weight tone it up then there is no need to spend a lot of time in between sets. It’s about burning calories cranking up the intensity. I jump rope in between sets, do a short warm up with cardio and do multi body parts during workouts.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    usually about a hour, 4x per week
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    4 days a week - 45 to 60mins of weight lifting/training and 30 mins of cardio and one day each week of just 30 to 60 mins of circuit training. I take two days off for rest.
  • martinkristyk
    martinkristyk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My goal is to workout 30-60 minutes, at least 6 times a week. A few of my workouts are fitness classes that last a full hour, but I'm also doing the Jillian Michaels "Ripped in 30" program five days a week, which consists of 30 minute workouts. Overall, I am for at least 3 hours of exercise total in the week (210 minutes).

Reading the amount of time others workout, I'm feeling a little sheepish about this number. But, being someone that works 50+ hours a week and has kids, this is what works for me. And, I am seeing results, which is what really matters, right?
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    All I have to use is a treadmill right now so it gets boring but I do no less than 20 and haven't gotten more than an hour on it. Hoping to get a stationary bike for Christmas though!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Minimum a 30 minute walk. Right now I'm training for a 10K so I'm following a running schedule--about 45-60 min running 4 x per week with a cross-train day (45 min) and 2 rest days. On my rest days I walk.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    6 days a week and I spend between 20-45 min.

I'm a wife, mom, nursing student so any little bit counts because I just don't have longer to spend working out.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I aim for 2 hours a day six times a week running, weight training, yoga and random
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    60 min 2x a week. occasionally a 90 minute master class replaces the hour class.