Wait, are you kidding me?

Options
I don't understand. A few weeks ago I weighed 200 which I found to be strange that I gained 12 pounds in a few weeks....Now I weigh 208...but my clothes are looser and I don't feel as heavy...why is the scale going up but I'm not?!?! This is too confusing....I know muscle weighs more but How did I gain that much muscle mass and not burn fat to even it out?! Ugh..i'm frustrated.

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself on a different scale... you may need a new one. (Seriously!) And what time are you weighing yourself? The best time is first thing in the morning before you eat anything so its accurate each time. :)
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i just gained 10 pounds in one week so as far as the quick weight gain does happen , that quick of muscle gain does not
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Strange question - but on you about to start your cycle? If it's about that time for you, or if you're on it, that could be playing a huge factor in the gain. Keep doing what you're doing, because if your clothes are fitting looser, then you're doing something right, just keep doing what you're doing. Weigh yourself in another week, it may go down quite a bit. That's what I find happens with me, anyways.
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    do you measure yourself? i do so even when the scale seems to go up or down i can still see the difference
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    holiday feasting can add lots of sodium to your diet too, causing extra water retention.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I really need help staying motivated...this is really really discouraging :(
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Part of it could be muscle. Muscle is more compact than fat so your body composition could be changing (muscle does not weigh more than fat- a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat- a pound). Could be water retention- are you drinking enough water and watching your sodium intake? Could be other types of waste- are you getting enough fiber? Have you tried a colon cleanse? The scale can be a very tricky thing. It could be something medical too. If you still find that you are eating well, not cheating or forgetting to log things, and you are really hitting your workouts and still having this weight gain problem for another month or so you may need to go see a medical professional to make sure something else is not going on inside of you.
  • mbakken90
    Options
    I've already been checked out for my thyroid and everything came out find. I am eating reasonably and I workout 4-6 times a week! This just doesn't add up. Something seems really off and very discouraging!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself in one week and i bet it will go back down a little, as long as you get back on track with the way you were eating before the holidays.

No it's not muscle gain, no you may not have a thyroid problem, I wouldn't recommend a colon cleanse (unless you were on a wrestling team and needed to get rid of 2lbs of poop). If you are looking to lose weight, don't do quick fixes-you know this stuff :)

I came back from vacation and the scale had increased 5 lbs. I agree it was probably from salt intake and I wasn't drinking enough water daily. Within two weeks of eating right, but not back in my exercise routine, the scale was back down 5 lbs.

Then came thanksgiving.. oh boy! :) Get back on track.. it'll come back off. Your body isn't going to let all that hard work go to waste, it will fight off the weight gain, whether it be water, salt, fat, etc.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I WISH MFP HAD A LIKE BUTTON!!! I agree with this below. It's a possibility. I bought a new one and some days it will say a low amount, but I have to take the batteries out and reset it. Then it is more accurate. Not sure why I need to reset it. But it matches the gym scale when I reset it, so I know it works properly-sometimes.
    Try weighing yourself on a different scale... you may need a new one. (Seriously!) And what time are you weighing yourself? The best time is first thing in the morning before you eat anything so its accurate each time. :)

You could weight yourself after going to the bathroom in the morning too.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    From what I have been told in the past, your weight can vary up to 7 LBS a day. With that said, it is best to weigh yourself at the same time every day. Even if you weigh yourself at 3pm when all you have done is eat and drink all day...it will still show a loss. I like weighing myself 1st thing in the morning.
    TAKE MEASUREMENTS. from neck down to calf!
    Lastly someone already wrote...depending on where you are in your cycle can play ahuge factor. Mine the week before, I don't botherr weighing in, cause I am always heaviest.

Stay Possitive.
  • mbakken90
    Options
    From what I have been told in the past, your weight can vary up to 7 LBS a day. With that said, it is best to weigh yourself at the same time every day. Even if you weigh yourself at 3pm when all you have done is eat and drink all day...it will still show a loss. I like weighing myself 1st thing in the morning.
    Lastly someone already wrote...depending on where you are in your cycle can play ahuge factor. Mine the week before, I don't botherr weighing in, cause I am always heaviest.

Stay Possitive.

Interesting..it is the week before so maybe that plays a big factor.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Weigh your self your 1st day......I bet you will have a loss. LOL.
    My other problem is during...i retain water so I watch salt intake.

Best of luck to you!!!! Don't fret, it will all be okay, just keep tracking.

Cheers,
  • mbakken90
    Options
    I just weighed myself again to make sure it was right and now it reads 4 pounds LIGHTER than what i was this morning. Mind you i've eaten and had stuff to drink...this is bizarre!
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Get a new scale!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Stay Possitive.

Interesting..it is the week before so maybe that plays a big factor.

Week before? yep, that's a factor. I gained four lbs week before and lost three of it ON VACATION OVER THANKSGIVING. One workout and no logging the entire week...
  • brozer
    brozer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are having problems, especially as you have been the 5K Queen lately. Lots of good suggestions been replied for you. I definitely would agree with weighing first thing in the morning....or at least at the same time each day. Also, if you have been doing so much training lately, have you factored that into your calorie needs? You may need to increase your calories to make sure you are getting enough, or your body will go into starvation mode & will hold onto fat.

Above all, hang in there. You are doing so great with your fitness and really enjoying your running so hang onto that good buzz from the workouts and looks instead at the food, there must be something going wrong there.