I always go over my carbohydrates!

Options
I am generally good at sticking to my calorie intake, but I nearly always go over my cars and am under my protein. It's already a bit of a struggle to stick to 1200 calories a day, and I'm not a big meat eater. However, I've heard that lots of carbs keep you "soft", and I want to be leaner, especially in the stomach area...help?

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and the only thing I can suggest is to look at where your carbs are coming from, and how to switch to something higher in protein and lower in carbs. For example, you're eating vanilla yogurt, which has a surprising amount of carbs, and honey with breakfast. If you switched to plain yogurt (greek yogurt has a lot more protein!) and just added the honey, or only ate the vanilla yogurt and got rid of the honey, you'd save on carbs.

I hope this helps! I'm interested in other responses, too.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I always go over on fat. Part of that is because I am intentionally trying to eat more protein, and when I went in and "upped" my protein goal on MFP, MFP took it off the fat.

I think you should focus on eating MORE protein, and not worry so much about eating less carbs. Just look for ways to eat more protein. It's true- if you don't eat enough protein you will lose muscle.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you want to become leaner, you are going to have to limit your carbs. a lot of people have trouble getting enough protein when they eat meat, and you don't like meat. is it all meat, or just beef and pork? chicken and fish are great sources of protein. eggs and nuts like almonds are good too. i'll let some vegitarians and vegans chime in on how to get good sources of protein without meat.

btw, a great form of protein is Quinoa. its a carb too, so be careful with how much you eat.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I consciously strive for 100g protein every day, but even so I still manage to either get really close on my carbs or go over. Strangely I am almost always low on fat when I'm eating at home - I don't do it on purpose, it's just what happens. When I travel home and eat what my family cooks, I tend to go over on fat but still hit my protein goals most of the time. Honestly the only thing I really worry about is getting enough protein - everything else, it's interesting to see how it adds up but I don't stress over it. If I'm over on carbs, whatever. I don't have the energy right now to worry about everything, so I stick to the things I feel are most important for now (calorie goal, exercise, and protein).
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Id start with making some easy small switches to the things you already eat. I'd definitely switch from regular vanilla yogurt to Greek vanilla (or plain with vanilla extract and splenda) and maybe skip the honey with it...there would be an extra 10 grams of protein and less carbs right there and that's not a huge change. Instead of a turkey sandwich, maybe have 4-6 oz of turkey or chicken with some veggies. Instead of the special k bar, try the snackwell bars. They have 8 grams of protein and come in chocolate, oatmeal raisin, and peanut butter(my fav). They are very comparable to the special k bar but 6 more grams of protein.
  • missygirl94
    Options
    great! thank you all so much. i'll make the switch to greek yogurt and will add more turkey to my sandwiches, maybe look into better snack bars.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack your thread a little bit, but I see people mention greek yogurt a lot, so I was wondering, could someone describe the taste, maybe? It's very pricey compared to regular yogurt, but I never hit my protein goal, either, and tend to go over on my carbs. Is it comparable to balkan yogurt, or what?
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    It seems that most of your diet consists of bread, yogurt, and granola bars/sweet snacks. Add in some more veggies and fruits. Then add in some more nuts and other sources of protein. Do you dislike chicken? If not there are so many different ways to cook it and dress it up that I'm sure you can find a way you like it.
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    Sorry to hijack your thread a little bit, but I see people mention greek yogurt a lot, so I was wondering, could someone describe the taste, maybe? It's very pricey compared to regular yogurt, but I never hit my protein goal, either, and tend to go over on my carbs. Is it comparable to balkan yogurt, or what?

It tastes. . .revolting.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No all carbs are created equally. Carbs won't make you soft, but the processed one's will. Stay away from the processed carbs and eat tons of fruits and veggies.
  • az82
    az82 Posts: 152
    Options

I love greek yogurt but it does depend on the brand. I'm a big fan of Fage or Chobani. While it is more expensive, the increased protein is worth it, IMHO. It is much thicker than regular yogurt, but other than that, the taste is the same to me. Add a bit of honey and some fruit and it is delicious!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with seasiren. the processed carbs are the killer.
    By the way, I love the full cream natural Greek yoghurt.
    It's clearly a matter of taste.
    I think people get so used to the lolly sweet flavoured yoghurt it's easy to forget it is actually a milk/cheese type of taste when it's natural.
    A little (scant) drop of honey or some berries thrown in can help you adjust.
    The full cream variety will fill you up and give you the goodness.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I still can't justify spending more than $5 on one small tub of yogurt.