Gimme your best "smart *kitten* come back line"

Options
This is not my first time to lose a large amount of weight. A few years ago I lost the same amount I have now and was even part of a feature article in Prevention Magazine. I didn't keep it off long, some severe life stress came my way and I started emotional eating. I have changed that part of my life, changed the emotional eating. I have even lost this weight during the passing of my mother and if I can avoid emotional eating during this, I've got it handled. So here's what gives now. I am constantly hearing things like this. "You look fabulous....can you keep it off this time." Or 'you look amazing....don't gain it back this time." And this one last night. "You look wonderful and you're such an inspiration to others....do you think you've beaten it time." So many times I am caught off guard by these dumb *kitten* remarks that I just answer them nicely instead of saying something that will shock them back and make them thing before they speak again. So go ahead, give me your best come back line so I can put it in my memory bank because I know I'll hear it again.
scan0014.jpg
CindyNov11.jpg

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    How about... "Oh yeah?!" :wink:

No, but seriously... Like many other unsolicited dumb comments in life, it's best just to brush it off and move on. Are those people worth any time or effort, really?
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd just smile and say "thanks for your vote of confidence. That helps a lot."
  • nikki91950
    Options
    how about… you've been through this before, so why don't you step aside and let somebody else stand in the spotlight for a while?

but in all seriousness, that's just rude and uncalled for people to say things like that to you and ask those types of questions. if i were you, i'd just throw all your inhibitions out the window and respond the way you'd really like to. rude questions definitely call for rude answers.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for the compliment, let me know when you want some pointers" :bigsmile:
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I like this one lol
  • nikki91950
    Options

^ yes. or something along the lines of "i'm sure i'll have no problems now, considering i have so much support and encouragement from the likes of you…"
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, sweetheart, though mine isn't from just anyone, but my own family. My dad always came from behind me, and grabbed my tummy fat--around family at Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. They've always been that way. It cuts deep. I've lost weight again and they say snide comments like.."Nice, but I'm not buying you clothes because you might balloon back up again."
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ummm well I am going to be a little different. I guess I think people say stupid things a lot of the time without thinking and probably most of them don't mean it to be as rude as it really is. So I would probably say something more like, well obviously I plan to!

I have had a lot of people say things to me that I think are equally weird - like "You sure have lost a lot of weight, Are you OK?" It kind of implies that they think I look bad- but I just tell them that it's been a lot of work and takes constant effort!
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I picked this one up. I actually think I read it on here somewhere in the last week or so and it pretty much says it all.

"Bless your heart Darling. Do you realize you said that outloud? You must be so embarrassed. Let's just both pretend you didn't say that."
  • papa5280
    Options
    How about, "Absolutely. And, good luck with the humanity classes. Maybe they'll take this time."
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say - you do look awesome and congratulations on your accomplishments.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I picked this one up. I actually think I read it on here somewhere in the last week or so and it pretty much says it all.

"Bless your heart Darling. Do you realize you said that outloud? You must be so embarrassed. Let's just both pretend you didn't say that."

This is probably the most fabulous comeback of all time!
  • papa5280
    Options

I really like this one. It gets the point across without being overtly rude.
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    How about, "Thanks! By the way, are you going to finish that? I'm starving!"
  • nikki91950
    Options

I really like this one. It gets the point across without being overtly rude.

I think replying with "Bless your heart" used to be the polite way of calling somebody a b****. *thumbs up*
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

This is awesome!!
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    If you can, you should just ignore them. You shouldn't waste your time and effort on negative stuff/people. Especially since you LOOK FANTASTIC!! Great job!! :D
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When people ask, "will you keep it off this time?"

Try, "If I do, will you keep your snide remarks to yourself in the future?"

Or play with them a bit... smile and say "What's in it for me?"

Or

Answer a question with a question - "Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?" Make them think a minute and they might laugh and realize how silly they sound!
  • TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Do you think you can keep it off this time? Do you think you've beaten it?"

Answer:
    "Nope. I dropped xx amount of weight because I was bored but I think I'll go ahead and put it all back on. You know, keep my body off-guard and ready for anything!" or "Well, winter's coming around and I guess I should put on more weight to create a layer of blubber to keep me warm." Thank you, I'll be here all night. Remember to tip your waitress!

Seriously though, great job with your weight loss. Jealousy is the #1 reason people will make these comments, because they don't have the willpower to go through what we go through, to make the changes that we make.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I shared this when the lady got treated rudely at DD. Glad you remembered it.