Tabata

ukgirly01
ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
edited October 5 in Fitness and Exercise
my gym has started doing tabata classes thinking of going on wednesday, has anyone done it and would you recommend?

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Def recommend doing it!
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    what it is?
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    I go to the tabata classes at my gym about 2 times a week. It's an amazing workout and I usually burn about 500-600 calories in 45 minutes. Definitely need a rest day or a light workout the day after it though :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Don't be late or you'll miss it :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    If you can do 45 minutes you are not doing Tabata. Tabata is a type of interval training where for 8 intervals of 20 seconds a person works basically as hard as they can for those 20 seconds, then rests for 10 seconds. I can't remember the number, but when Izumi Tabata did his study, the subjects worked on special bikes designed so they would work at something like 90 or 95 percent of VO2 max, which basically means really really hard during those 20 seconds. If you do this correctly the 20 seconds seem like an eternity by interval 4 or so, and the 10 seconds seem like nothing. I do this and I am left gasping by the end, and that is only 4 minutes total. A whole Tabata type workout can be done in 10 minutes if you include warm-up and cool-down time.
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    I love a Tabata workout. It's a great way to burn a lot of calories. I hope you give it a try.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    The first time I have ever done a Tabata workout was the program Supreme 90 Day. The workout is called Tabata Inferno. It's a good workout. A lot of people don't like Tabata Inferno.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    If you can do 45 minutes you are not doing Tabata. Tabata is a type of interval training where for 8 intervals of 20 seconds a person works basically as hard as they can for those 20 seconds, then rests for 10 seconds. I can't remember the number, but when Izumi Tabata did his study, the subjects worked on special bikes designed so they would work at something like 90 or 95 percent of VO2 max, which basically means really really hard during those 20 seconds. If you do this correctly the 20 seconds seem like an eternity by interval 4 or so, and the 10 seconds seem like nothing. I do this and I am left gasping by the end, and that is only 4 minutes total. A whole Tabata type workout can be done in 10 minutes if you include warm-up and cool-down time.

This is the Tabata workout I do on my rower.... 20 sec. full out, 10 sec. active rest.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Hmmm thanks for info, Im looking for an extra workout to squeeze in so if I need a rest day next day i may find something else don't want to spoil my running program
  • AZackery
    what it is?

Check out this youtube video by Funk Roberts. He explains what Tabata is. Tabata was created by a Japanese man. The exercise is named after the creator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_htM-A2WEA&feature=related
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Hmmm thanks for info, Im looking for an extra workout to squeeze in so if I need a rest day next day i may find something else don't want to spoil my running program

You shouldn't have to rest a day between Tabata workouts (if they are true Tabata sequences... not an extended HIIT workout labelled Tabata). In the original Tabata study, the participants did the workout 4 days a week, with a 5th day of a longer, steady state workout.

http://www.kettlebellscience.com/hiit-training---the-tabata-protocol.html
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    what it is?

Check out this youtube video by Funk Roberts. He explains what Tabata is. Tabata was created by a Japanese man. The exercise is named after the creator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_htM-A2WEA&feature=related
    thanks I'll check it out !
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    I do tabata battle ropes, box jumps, and burpees. 20 mins and I'm toast.
  • AZackery

I want to try battle roping, but I've checked the price of the ropes and they are high. I will create my own version.

Tabata is a tough workout, but it's good too.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big

I want to try battle roping, but I've checked the price of the ropes and they are high. I will create my own version.

Yup, the ropes are pricey, over 2$/ft. of rope. I got a 50 ft., 1.5" diameter rope.
  • AZackery
    [Yup, the ropes are pricey, over 2$/ft. of rope. I got a 50 ft., 1.5" diameter rope.

Where did you get your ropes from?
  • rileysowner

Yup, the ropes are pricey, over 2$/ft. of rope. I got a 50 ft., 1.5" diameter rope.

So where did you get yours?
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I'm just starting Interval training.
    I sprint for 1min treadmill on extreeme, then walk for a minute in a moderate pace for a minute.
    By the end of my 20 mins (which includes a 3 min warm up walk) I've wroked hard and burned about 200 cals.
    It's a new way to shake it up and push yourself....and you are finished quicker.
    I've dropped a little weight this way too.
  • rileysowner
    I'm just starting Interval training.
    I sprint for 1min treadmill on extreeme, then walk for a minute in a moderate pace for a minute.
    By the end of my 20 mins (which includes a 3 min warm up walk) I've wroked hard and burned about 200 cals.
    It's a new way to shake it up and push yourself....and you are finished quicker.
    I've dropped a little weight this way too.

Where the tabata interval 20/10 is different than that is that it is negative rest. I have done the same with other intervals say 30/20. By taking less rest time than work time it causes even more metabolic disturbance. By the end those rest seconds seem like nothing and the work one seem to last forever. I did a 20/10 for 8 intervals today to finish off my workout. If it was not for my Gymboss MAX timer I would have completely lost track of how many intervals I did.
  • shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    If it was not for my Gymboss MAX timer I would have completely lost track of how many intervals I did.

I love my Gymboss Timer!!! I use it for my Jump Rope Intervals and set it to vibrate so can listen to my ipod at the same time.
    One of the best purchases I have ever made!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    [Yup, the ropes are pricey, over 2$/ft. of rope. I got a 50 ft., 1.5" diameter rope.

http://www.knotandrope.com/Store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

The 1.5" manilla rope is $2.25/ft. Don't get the nylon, it's not very heavy.
  • I highly recommend it and also looking at doing HIIT. Interval training is one of the best ways for your body to work harder and burn more fat!
  • AZackery

Thanks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Exercise choice can determine how long you can go doing tabata intervals.

I've set up my home gym with various weights, pullup bars, medicine balls etc & do the 20/10 continuously for 45mins max. Because of the different exercises used I was able to keep going. If you simply did one full body motion like a thruster, it would not be possible (for me anyway).

I suspect this is the way a class would have to be setup "tabata style".
  • rileysowner

Thanks. How long should I get if I decided to go this route?
  • I do a 45 minutes Tabata workout too, as part of the group fitness classes at the University of Cincinnati. And sometimes, I do need a break the day after...
This discussion has been closed.