How much is a stone

Options
I'm from the United States and we use pounds, I have some idea of what kilograms are, but I've never seen weight listed as stones before this forum. Could someone from the locals that uses stones as a weight measurement please give me a reference to how much that is in relation to pounds and/or kilograms. Please. I'm not saying any one is better than the other, just trying to get a reference for comparison.

And for those of you who get really upset if someone asks a question that has been asked before, please forgive my stupidity for not being able to find the answer to my question when I searched for it. If this upsets you that I'm asking this, please do not respond, just go about your business and leave this curious person alone.

Replies

• elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14 pounds
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    14lbs ^^ well we do stones and pounds here - I do believe the pound is now the same amount in the UK as in the US
    1 stone is 6.35kg just if someone wonders how many kg's that would be
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I don't think in kilograms so I use google and type in convert KG to Pounds to help me out you can do stones to pounds as well :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    And for those of you who get really upset if someone asks a question that has been asked before, please forgive my stupidity for not being able to find the answer to my question when I searched for it. If this upsets you that I'm asking this, please do not respond, just go about your business and leave this curious person alone.
    Sorry to hear that you had some difficulty with your search. Have you tried using Google for your searches? I find it to be the best tool for searching for information.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    not being able to find the answer to my question when I searched for it.
    Out of curiosity, what search terms did you try? I've always found the search feature to work very well.
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well just by reading this thread, I have found out that I have lost a whole stone. How cool! I have lost 6.3 kgs or 14 pounds.....so 1 stone! :smile:
  • CouchSpud
    Options
    Well done you ^^ ! I once lost nearly 6 stone... :( but some have creeped back on
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As I'm from the UK, us locals always go by stones - but as I'm adicted to Biggest Loser, I'm a convert to pounds and I find my little "goals" are easier to achieve this way.
    Now,the Biggest Loser Australia uses kilograms and that confuses me completely and I end up using my iphone which has a very handy convertor on it!! lol
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what search terms did you try? I've always found the search feature to work very well.

stone as weight
  • CouchSpud
    Options
    I grew up in kg ^^ so stines and lbs confused me big deal when I first come accross them. I still don;t understand ounces and stuff ^^
  • dippystick
    Options
    A stone is 14 pounds

Thanks
  • dippystick
    Options
    14lbs ^^ well we do stones and pounds here - I do believe the pound is now the same amount in the UK as in the US
    1 stone is 6.35kg just if someone wonders how many kg's that would be

Thank you too
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've always loved the UK Stone weight system. It's confusing as hell, but it sounds pretty nifty when they say it. I've lost a Stone! I weigh 11 and a half stones now!

I wonder if there are UK scales that read in Stone? Guess I should Google it. :wink:
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I grew up in kg ^^ so stines and lbs confused me big deal when I first come accross them. I still don;t understand ounces and stuff ^^

Yeh I only know kgs aswell ( I live in Australia), so pounds confuse me! I'm always interested in seeing what i've lost in pounds though, just to compare :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

stone as weight
    I see. It is more effective if you just type in the question you want to ask, because chances are someone has asked it before. Simply typing "how much is a stone" should give you results. The trick is just to phrase it the same way as if you were posting the topic yourself.

I hope you don't think I was being mean about it. But I know lots of people have trouble with search engines so I thought it might help in future.
  • dippystick
    Options

stone as weight
    I see. It is more effective if you just type in the question you want to ask, because chances are someone has asked it before. Simply typing "how much is a stone" should give you results. The trick is just to phrase it the same way as if you were posting the topic yourself.

I hope you don't think I was being mean about it. But I know lots of people have trouble with search engines so I thought it might help in future.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to remember it in the future.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've always loved the UK Stone weight system. It's confusing as hell, but it sounds pretty nifty when they say it. I've lost a Stone! I weigh 11 and a half stones now!

I wonder if there are UK scales that read in Stone? Guess I should Google it. :wink:

Most UK scales weigh in stones and pounds :P

Just thought I'd tell you and save you the bother, we all know how hard it can be to google!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. hehe thanks

Google.com totally failed. But Google.co.uk had it in two hits!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have always wondered but never bothered to look it up.

For those who struggle with kilos, a kilo is roughly half. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs. So if you want an idea without doing the exact conversion, just double the kgs to get an idea or half the lbs.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Google.com totally failed. But Google.co.uk had it in two hits!
    Really?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+is+a+stone

I got an answer immediately.