How is this fair?

Options

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you REALLY want the free stuff, I could help you out.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Sorry. My response to the PP was in poor taste.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Yeah ok fine. Life isn't fair. If we had lived by that mantra as a society, women would still not be allowed to run in marathons at all. I just thought it odd because most cities in my country have programs that are more all-englobing and allow for various fun things for nearly anybody. Excuse me for ranting a little bit. And I do intend to do something about it and make suggestions.

And there ARE NO student discounts or senior discounts or unemployment discounts for this race, by the way. If there were I'd be less puzzled. These have never bothered me and they seem completely normal to me.

I'd even understand something for all women to get more women to join in (last year the proportion of women to join was 10% of the racers).

Life isn't fair, I've already understood that.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yeah ok fine. Life isn't fair. If we had lived by that mantra as a society, women would still not be allowed to run in marathons at all.
    Sorry -- but that is not a fair comparison. Nobody is being denied service by the company.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    Ok, I'm not trying to be snarky and please don't take this as such. But there are those who suggest how things should be done and those who become actively involved and spearhead the change. Don't confuse how change is made.

You're on the right path. You're planning on using your frustration to voice your opinion. That's a good start. But if you're serious about change, you have to roll up your sleeves and get involved.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Ok, I'm not trying to be snarky and please don't take this as such. But there are those who suggest how things should be done and those who become actively involved and spearhead the change. Don't confuse how change is made.

You're on the right path. You're planning on using your frustration to voice your opinion. That's a good start. But if you're serious about change, you have to roll up your sleeves and get involved.
    I would hope though, that any change to how businesses market themselves would be suggested or encouraged, and never mandated.
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is not fair. Have you considered going to the people in charge and putting in a complaint ?
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a sore spot for me. Not everyone wants kids and that's fine -- but not everyone who wants them can have them either.

I'd be more fine with it if there were special things for other demographics too, even something small. Perhaps a raffle to win the same advantages for a lucky 10 first-timers regardless of age, gender or fertility/lifestyle choices. Maybe something special for people over a certain age, say 50 (I'm 24 so this isn't a selfish wish), and maybe the possibility to sign up in teams other than through a company (I freelance but I'd love to sign up in a team of friends - or maybe even a freelancers group/team!).

I guess I'm just jealous of all the fun stuff other cities have for more types of people.

As a non mom you have more time to do the things YOU want to do and don't have to put your children first before yourself...its probably to encourage them to take care of themselves a bit.

It can be hard for them...

This was my thought as well. Kids take up a lot of work, time, and money. It's likely just a way to encourage them to get active and involved in something, which may even have positive health effects on the whole family. :)
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    This is not fair. Have you considered going to the people in charge and putting in a complaint ?

Really? What if it was just women in general... would it still be a problem?

Plenty of promotionial things, offers, scholarships, etc. are targeted toward a certain demographic. *shrugs*
  • lexgem
    Options
    I guess I never really considered that this was a business as the race is mostly funded by the city, so I figured it should be more egalitarian with discounts for students, seniors and unemployed people and other groups too if they are so enclined.
    The website doesn't give a lot of information, maybe this program is sponsored by stores for moms or something. I hadn't really thought of that. I will ask about it.
    I'm still not happy about it, but I guess it could explain a lot.

Maybe in a few years I'll take advantage of this program to get great training so I can run a really great time. (Hopefully I'll be able to adopt a child in a few years.)

I still think a program to help all beginners would be more helpful, especially given the utter lack of local running groups at a beginner level. But if they prefer to help moms who may already be seasoned runners, that's fine I guess.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    They would probably cave and allow you to participate. Would you feel better then?

Keep in mind that Ladies' Nights have been upheld in most court cases, since they are designed to attract females, not discourage males. In this case, they are trying to attract mothers, and not discouraging the rest of the public. Nobody is being discriminated against here.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    They would probably cave and allow you to participate. Would you feel better then?

Keep in mind that Ladies' Nights have been upheld in most court cases, since they are designed to attract females, not discourage males. In this case, they are trying to attract mothers, and not discouraging the rest of the public. Nobody is being discriminated against here.

My thoughts exactly!! Well said.
  • sjtreely
    Options
    [/quote]
    I would hope though, that any change to how businesses market themselves would be suggested or encouraged, and never mandated.
    [/quote]

Well, I'm confused as to who is sponsoring the event. The OP mentioned she was frustrated that her city lacks a wider demographics when offering incentives. If it's the city who is sponsoring the event, then I say she has the right (and responsibility) to bring attention to a matter that she passionately disagrees with. But just filling out a form that "suggests" offering incentives to others is very likely to be enough to make the changes the OP wants.

However, if it is a business that's sponsoring the event, then by all means they have the right to make the rules - whether or not anyone likes them or not. Heck, for all we know the business owner may want to honor all the hard work and sacrifice his/her mom made over the years and this is one way he/she is paying it forward.

There are too many unknowns. But even without knowing the circumstances, I'm still in favor of giving moms a break. :smile:
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My city has a special deal for a select population signing up for the next half-marathon. The 21 first MOMMIES to sign up get free personal training leading up to the half at a really nice gym, they get free entrance fees, and a free breakfast and a free "special" T-shirt.
    There are no other "special" deals or fun things for any other demographic.
    I'm seriously considering applying and just pretending to have a kid. Gah!

There is a grocery store that has "special parking" for parents with children, right up close. Irritates me to no end.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My city has a special deal for a select population signing up for the next half-marathon. The 21 first MOMMIES to sign up get free personal training leading up to the half at a really nice gym, they get free entrance fees, and a free breakfast and a free "special" T-shirt.

After reading your profile perhaps if you explained your history they might be sympathetic and make an exception for you.

I feel for what you have been through...
  • lexgem
    Options

After reading your profile perhaps if you explained your history they might be sympathetic and make an exception for you.

I feel for what you have been through...

Thanks for understanding, although I'm not sure I want their pity necessarily, I just assumed that the city was funding the special program since they are funding the race in general (but I may be wrong on this) and so I thought they should have a nice program for more people who might need help getting to that finish line. I think I will suggest that they mirror what some cities do and set up a running group for first-timers to help train, for a small fee or even free (a girl can dream!). I guess I just overreacted a bit on this one, since I am admittedly a bit sensitive on this topic.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a sore spot for me. Not everyone wants kids and that's fine -- but not everyone who wants them can have them either.

I'd be more fine with it if there were special things for other demographics too, even something small. Perhaps a raffle to win the same advantages for a lucky 10 first-timers regardless of age, gender or fertility/lifestyle choices. Maybe something special for people over a certain age, say 50 (I'm 24 so this isn't a selfish wish), and maybe the possibility to sign up in teams other than through a company (I freelance but I'd love to sign up in a team of friends - or maybe even a freelancers group/team!).

I guess I'm just jealous of all the fun stuff other cities have for more types of people.

As a non mom you have more time to do the things YOU want to do and don't have to put your children first before yourself...its probably to encourage them to take care of themselves a bit.

It can be hard for them...

I AGREE WITH THIS
  • missikay1970
    Options
    I suppose if you REALLY want the free stuff, I could help you out.
    ha! this is hilarious! :smile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think I will suggest that they mirror what some cities do and set up a running group for first-timers to help train, for a small fee or even free (a girl can dream!)

Sounds like a plan ;)

I'm guessing your City didn't intend to be discriminatory as more help women who can easily become marginalised from broader society (mothers)
  • missikay1970
    Options

There is a grocery store that has "special parking" for parents with children, right up close. Irritates me to no end.

i have seen moms with 3 or 4 children who have a very difficult time in the grocery stores and having that close parking (esp in cold/rainy weather) is a life-saver. i can't understand why it would bother someone who is completely able-bodied and free of clinging children to walk a little farther to help out others. personally, i would rather park out farther if it meant that a wheelchair patient or a mom with a stroller and a tiny baby could access the store easier. i don't think the stores are trying to "encourage" people to have children by providing that parking, and they certainly aren't punishing anyone who doesn't have children. at most stores i have seen, it's 2 or 3 spots at the most for "child parking" there are 1000 more that you can park in.