Online personal trainers?

Options
This is a weird (or maybe not) question, but I have been a long-time member of this site and have been fighting an ongoing -- and losing -- battle against my weight and diet for years. I was doing well once upon a time; I lost 20 lbs, and was under 200 lbs for the first time in years after constantly hanging around 215 lbs. Now, I've not only regained all that weight back, but I've added MORE! I am, as of this morning, 223 lbs. I'm a 23 year old male, annnd I'm not too happy about that. I have a gym membership that I've only slightly touched this semester at school, and basically I'm beginning to realize that beyond the treadmill or elliptical, I don't really know what else I'm doing at the gym, and I can't afford a personal trainer right now, so I'm wondering if anyone knows any other sites like MFP that, instead of diet, focus on helping one create a workout routine catered to their needs?

Thanks for any input. I'm thinking it's about time for me to get back on track and start focusing on my body again.

Replies

• lifeismoto
    Options
    thats a fair question
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You don't need a personal trainer to get in shape, the information is freely available...if you want it so bad then take the time to do some research and soon you will know the ropes and can bend the rules to suit your needs and lifestyle.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    When you signed up at the gym they should have had someone go through everything with you...?
    If they didn't just go up to a PT at the gym and ask?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/ is good if you want to start weight training.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You don't need a personal trainer to get in shape, the information is freely available...if you want it so bad then take the time to do some research and soon you will know the ropes and can bend the rules to suit your needs and lifestyle.

^ I agree.

I'll add one phrase for you to google to help get you started:

"Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Also check youtube for Mark Rippetoe, he has free videos to assist you in proper technique for the lifts in his program.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Use websites like fitness magazine, men's health magazine and others (even About.com has a great section!) -- they have pages and pages of workouts (often printer friendly) that you can use to build your own little circuit, or alternate parts of the body for different days! That's what I do.
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When you signed up at the gym they should have had someone go through everything with you...?

I guess I should have been more clear. I know how things work (like the machines and everything); the technical stuff isn't exactly the issue. Haha. I meant that I just felt lost now after having gone so long since I did anything that I wasn't sure what to do with regards to an actual routine in order to achieve any weight loss or fitness goals, and I'm almost certain a personal trainer isn't going to wanna give me a routine to work off of without any form of payment. Lol.

I'm just the type that needs a bit of, I dunno, guidance/organization sometimes when it comes to achieving a goal. But, thanks for the help! I'll do what y'all suggested. And, for the record, it is something I really want. I just figured here was a good place to start asking.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I guess I should have been more clear. I know how things work (like the machines and everything); the technical stuff isn't exactly the issue. Haha. I meant that I just felt lost now after having gone so long since I did anything that I wasn't sure what to do with regards to an actual routine in order to achieve any weight loss or fitness goals, and I'm almost certain a personal trainer isn't going to wanna give me a routine to work off of without any form of payment. Lol.

I'm just the type that needs a bit of, I dunno, guidance/organization sometimes when it comes to achieving a goal. But, thanks for the help! I'll do what y'all suggested. And, for the record, it is something I really want. I just figured here was a good place to start asking.

Best is to start off with Sidesteal's suggestion by reading up on Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and also do some extensive reading on bodybuilding.com suggested by richx83...expect to see a ripped jdp21 mid next year =)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use bodyrocktv.com it's a website, obviously I modify the moves, the chick is scary fit but don't let that deter, I just take the beginner options & do how ever many reps leave me gasping
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Actually, most PT"s will do a session for free.. and give you a routine to get started. You just have to go and ask one.

Also look at new rules of lifting and bodybuilding.com.. both I hear, are excellent resources.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There are some great books about weight lifting. You might want to go to the library and check them out. I suggest "New Rules of Lifting" and "The Men's Health Big Book of Exercises."

I have read the women's versions of both and loved them, so I'm sure the men's versions are pretty good as well.