Feel like I gained weight but scales say different

Options
over the last week i feel like I've gained weight.
I'm a boy and over last week I feel like my belly has got a bit bigger, but the scales say I've lost over a kilo so not sure what to believe. However, I did have quite a bad day today

Replies

• cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your stomach's full mate. Give it a day and weigh yourself in the morning, you might even find you weigh a little less.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'll feel like I've lost weight but I've really gained...
  • Swaggerr
    Options
    Sounds to me like your stomach's full mate. Give it a day and weigh yourself in the morning, you might even find you weigh a little less.

But it wouldn't make my stomach look bigger?
    I also feel a bit fatter on my face
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well if you are weighing yourself at the same time of the day and the scales say you've lost a kilo then you have. It could be that you are bloated, have you been trying new foods as part of your weight loss plan? Weight alone isn't the best indicator so I would suggest that from this early stage you get into the habit of taking your measurements, these can be more useful especially as it seems that you don't have much weight to lose and are looking to change body composition.

Finally, good luck with your goals, and try not to worry about the number on the scale too much, you'll soon see the difference in how your clothes fit.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i get days like that! i find its all in my head if i go a slight number over my cals it's in my head i've gained so therefore when i look in the mirror i see the old me! mind games! look at the scale and believe it! it can't tell you you weigh less than you do! good luck!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Hrmm... that's a bit odd.

To help shed some light, let's look at some facts:
    The human body does not redistribute fat around your body, from your stomach to your face, in the span of a week.
    It is quite impossible to lose a full kg of muscle in one week, and you can never lose bone mass.
    So its safe to assume that kg is fat loss.

I'd definately suggest at this point that you may just 'feel' like you've gained more weight. This happened to me when I first started exercising. I called it 'phantom weight' because I'd run and attempt to lose weight but for the first few days after working out, however the physiology of my body works, it put extra weight onto my body.
    I also started doubting that I lost weight at all, and saw all the 'problem areas' that I've become well attuned to point out to myself.
    If you give it time, I mean a good 5 days at the least, you'll notice a longterm change if you maintain your exercise and eating routine.

What I'm trying to say is this - don't worry about this right now. It could be a combination of simply in your head and your body adapting. Sounds perfectly normal to me. Just give it some time.

If you are worried, see a doctor. Better safe than sorry.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It could be a full stomach and/or water retention, but it sounds to me like you have lost muscle mass which would make your stomach look squishier and your scale say you've lost weight.
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options

You sound bloated. Food and water can make your stomach and face look bigger! Especially water